Organics Lounge

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by mosesnumb, Jan 25, 2013.

1. IKR.....the weird thing was that while it was in the 20's throughout the valley, it was t-shirt weather up on Mt, Hood:confused_2:

2. Warm air rises? =p.

3. I can't think of a single reason.

I have worms in my soil. I top dress with homemade vermicompost and a it's loaded with cocoons, if I move the top inch or two of soil I constantly find worms dancin' around.

Added nutrient cycling, worm slime, added castings, air and water passages and good vibes - why WOULD'NT you want worms in your pots? ;)

J

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks mate!

On the worms in pots front.. I have stuck 5 or 6 worms in each of my pots... would have put more but they only 6.5ltrs and I only wanted them in there to dig tunnels and the added castings!

5. #26 w89, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013
    Yoo I finally got some oyster shell but it was big pieces so I've grinded it up.. I'm now doing the same with a whole crab shell lol

Will prob do a mix of 50/50 crab/oyster and top dress a tea spoon per pot as I didn't ad any calcium to my mix even tho there wasn't any peat It should still help with the over all Ph thing... It's strange this grow I haven't used m Ph pen and I couldn't even tell you where it was tbh..

Attached Files:

6. Well, in this cold-ass weather being stuck in the house gives me a chance to bake! We've got a nice homemade chicken pot pie in the oven, which went in right after the bread came out...mmmmmm....

I could live on this stuff!

J

7. hmmn.. reckon it would still be warm if ya posted it? lol

8. What formula did you use Jerry? I found my stomach growling looking at your pics lol. I'm imagining the smells floating through your house at the moment:)

9. #30 w89, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
    Right so I ground the crab shell up and the oyster as you saw.. This is a 50/50 mix is nice and fine.. spooned 6 tsp on to the scales came up at 36 grams so I divided it into 6 piles and will sprinkle it in top of my soil and re-cover with the mulch job done :)

EDIT: sprinkled some worm casts on top too ;)

Attached Files:

10. Chunk, it's a basic French bread recipe.

The day before make your Poolish - yeast pre-ferment and let it sit covered overnight.

Poolish - 5 ounces (140 grams) warm water. Add 1/4 teaspoon dry instant yeast. To this slowly mix in 5 ounces flour. Cover and let it sit overnight for the yeast to activate throughout the mix.

I am going to remove the weight of the Poolish from this recipe to avoid any math issues.

The next morning add the poolish to 314 grams of warm water. Mix in 1 tablespoon of coarse sea salt and 540 grams of (high quality - I use King Arthur) I bleached bread flour.

Combine all into a shaggy ball and let it sit for a few minutes (gluten) and then knead for around 5 minutes and set aside into a lightly oiled (I use the spray oil) bowl. Allow to rise (fermentation) for around an hour and a half to two hours until its doubled in size.

Degas gently and divide for smaller loaves. The loaves I showed used 1 of these recipes; I made a double batch this morning to get 2 loaves. Shape and set aside (covered with saran wrap) to rise again (proof) until its doubled again - right around the same amount of time. I use corn meal on the bottom so that it doesn't stick.

I baked these at 400 degrees for 10 minutes with a steam pan in the bottom of the oven ( tin pan with a cup of water) to help rise to its potential. Remove the steam pan after ten minutes and bake for another 20-30 minutes - each oven is different so keep a good eye on it.

The loaves should sound hollow when thumped. Allow to cool for 45 minutes before slicing but damn it, that is hard to do! (Waiting!) lol

Enjoy!

J

11. Sounds yummy Jerry! I love nice fresh bread from the bakery but must be even better to bake your own I bet! I love to cook just dont do it enough.. single bloke on me tod don't seem worth it...

12. Well, there's 5 of us in the house and everybody enjoys it, and it's pretty cold and we're stuck inside so -

I won't as much in the summer but this is a good winter hobby. This was some organic oatmeal bread from last weekend (just weigh out/substitute some oats and remove that weight from the flour in the recipe). Here's some "regular"
    French bread (the Baguette & round loaf) that we had with spaghetti & meatballs...

It really is crazy easy. Ya kind of need the weekend time to do it, not that it takes long (at all) but the fermentation and proofing times take a couple of hours each so you need to be around the house.

Baking bread reminds me a lot about organics - there are definite similarities going on with bacteria and enzymes...

:)

J

• Like Like x 1
  13. J, That makes me itch just looking at it. No more wheat for me. I bet it smells absolutely fantastic. My wife was banging it with the bread before my bullshit happened.

14. Jerry,

Have you tried making Peter Reinhart's "Struan" bread? It's a great bread for sandwiches and when I made it into rolls for a Thanksgiving dinner it was a big hit.

Struan Bread | The Fresh Loaf

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  15. A good friend of mine made "beer bread" the other day, its almost thick and heavy like pound cake, but soooooo damn good. I'm guessing the beer is the yeast?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Izzy! Its the lounge! Chillax. Its all good.

17. Is that a purple cabbage sauerkraut? We've been eating a lot of Kimchi from Costco and I've been looking up recipes. Gotta love the health effects of fermented food.

I'm heading off to your thread right now:wave:

Chunk

• Like Like x 1

18. Thanks for posting this Jerry, I'll have to give it a try. Ever try sourdough? I had a great starter (fermented from grapes) which of course got better with age and was really into baking it for awhile. MrNoob doesn't LIKE sourdough though (can you imagine!?) so I quit after awhile...I was eating too much of it ;)

bread baking recipes

• Like Like x 1