Organics Lounge

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by mosesnumb, Jan 25, 2013.

Hiya Ficky[​IMG]

I've never had to deal with thrips in my grow room, just spider mites. My IPM program includes weekly foliars with neem oil / 1/8 tsp of aloe vera powder / 1/2 tsp Agsil concentrate  and a couple of drops of lavender or rosemary oil. I do this every week until week 4 from the flip to 12/12. The final 2 weeks I reduce the neem oil by 50%. (1 1/2 tsp/ga.)

If I see evidence of mites in late flower, I'll soak some neem cake in water and use the same protocol with the other additives. The same compounds that are in neem oil are in neem cake so I get pretty much the same results except this mix doesn't cause the pistils to wither like I've had neem oil do.

One of the biggest questions I get is about whether the neem causes the bud to have an off taste. I've never had it happen and I'll give you my take on it.

All of the advice given on all the different foliar sprays for IPM always tells us to spray right at lights out..........otherwise the light and the heat will deconstruct the compounds rendering the neem oil ineffective. The smells and tastes of neem are compounds and are deconstructed within a few days.

In my personal experience, I've never had a problem with a neem cake tea late in flower but neem oil and the other essential oils have caused the premature withering of the pistils.

As long as I don't get lax, I don't see mites. I've programmed my calender on my phone to remind me when I need to spray and do other chores such as apply either a kelp-alfalfa or a malted grain tea. I'm going to become a hexagenarian in a couple of months and the reminders prevent senior moments[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  2. Everything I have read on it says that there is no evidence of it being toxic to humans. Maybe some mild skin or eye irritation but that is all. So I guess that is a matter of personal choice if you want to consume/combust residual spinosad. I'm kinda OCD and don't like to spray anything on my canna flowers. Might just be me lol.

We inhale airborn bacteria constantly.

I think that there are even spinosad pills for dogs that can be consumed orally for fleas and what-not.

• Like Like x 3
    Yep......

Comfortis

Coot uses it on his Lab.

• Like Like x 4
    Thanks Chunk. I'm in the same boat. My pests are on 24/7/365. One misstep in the IPM and the little fucks rise up. I've always avoided neem oil like the plague after a really bad experience. I can see the cake as a better option late in flower. What ratios?

Senior moments have got me more than once. Hence the checking the plug on the auto cloner about 5 times before I'm comfortable it's plugged in. I'm distilling what I do down to a few things in a routine. 

No worries TJ, I was just curious if I overlooked some negative effect. I did some research on beauveria bassiana a fungus for pest control but I ran across an article about a person with a compromised immune system became effected but nothing other than the one case study. So I hear where your coming from.

I give Confortis to my dogs and have for years.

thanks guys! 

• Like Like x 4
  5. .....induction lights aren't cheap...I've have two i beam induction lights and they ran me $1100 ....I bought them off a buddy of mine which went with a few really nice plasma lights and is using mars leds for side lighting....I'll be moving in about a yr once my lease is up ....I'm currently using galaxy ballasts with mostly all eye hortilux bulbs and a few ushio bulbs plus a 8 bulb ho t-5...I've had most of my gear for about 2yrs but I've got alot of new stuff as well....sorry for the long post :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Can't wait to use my new equipment.....just don't have all the room I would like atm'.....

• Like Like x 1
    it went up a couple degrees in there, but nothing major considering i added a 600w in there as well.
    I have a 1000, a 600 and the 1000 DE in a 7x4 space and it'll get up to 82-84 on a bad day.

• Like Like x 3
  8. that's still pretty respectable temp wise....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Can't complain about that then. The reward is worth it.

Sent from Skylab

• Like Like x 1
  10. You using the eye hortilux blue bulbs at all? Just ordered a couple to try out and I think I may like them. Their regular eye hortilux bulbs don't thrill me though.

11. My space is 35"x90"x96"tall, run a 435 cfm tall carbon filter, good high flow fan for my exhaust that goes into a lung room where my heater and ac are vented in. My fresh air is a little underpowered because right now I'm using a 4" duct booster pulling air directly from my heat and air system when it's on and passively when it's not. The more I'm reading that more people who are using 1000 watt set ups in 4x4 tents and similar. My space is 174 cubic foot whereas a standard 4x4 tent is 128 cubic foot considering it has a 8 foot height. So with that in mind I should have plenty of room to run the thousand in my space. I should probably get a few more cfms flowing on my fresh air side. Sound good?

Sent from Skylab

• Like Like x 2
  12. If you have 8 feet to work with you should be ok, but keep in mind 1k bulbs need about 30-36 inches of headroom over canopy. A 600 would only need 20-24 inches or so.

13. Have had to use the Hortilux ballasts to fire the super blue? There's talk of them being kinda stubborn.

Sent from Skylab

14. ...Yeah I have a few different eye 400 watt DH metal halide and some 250 watt eye multi metal bulbs and the eye hortilux super hps 250 400 and 600 watters....the ushio bulbs are 400 watt 5200k mh' and 400 watt 2500k opti red....and yeah the enhanced spectrum mh' and hps bulbs are their better line :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. True, that's probably where I will have to stay with 600. My 30 gallon no till planter(root-flo) sits up kinda high anyway, then add on the plant mover underneath of it(about 3-4 inches) doesn't leave much room after I put a one and a half foot bush in there that ends up vegging to about 2 and a half before I star flowering. I've run out of room on more than one occasion running some of my TGA Sativa dominant strains in the past(Cheesequake). Great info! Thanks folks for helping me sort this out. The City is invaluable when you don't have any friends around home who know what the fuck I'm talkin about. Means a lot.

Sent from Skylab

• Like Like x 1
  16. When thinking about fans, filters, and exhaust, about how many times per hour should the whole volume of my room go through the fan/filter?

17. There's a formula for that somewhere maybe somebody has it put up for quick reference.

Sent from Skylab

18. I think you could get away with a 1k the jump in heat wont be a major increase and you could have a screen in veg to keep the tops under control

• Like Like x 1
  19. There's a formula for that somewhere maybe somebody has it put up for quick reference.

Sent from Skylab