Organics Lounge

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by mosesnumb, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Heres the last loaf I made last week. Tried the dutch oven method of baking and loving the results

1419133108918.jpg

2. LoneRanger & Chunk

Beautifu loavesl!

Is that fun or what? Not to mention how easy it is?

That's what I did today..........there's definitely an art to getting the proofed loaf off of the towel and into the 425` dutch oven.

4. #21044 LoneRanger11220, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
    Yes I agree completely! I used parchment paper the first time just so I could lift it in and sort of drop it inside without going to the burn ward lol.

Thanks! Glad to see you back Coot. I am overdue for making some more loaves to say the least!

5. Just ordered a copy of Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice as an Xmas gift for my grandmother. Thanks for the idea, CC! I may have to borrow it from her lol.

Thanks Coot.......that was stupid easy. For only a half teaspoon of yeast that dough was bubbling and about to climb out of the bowl.

7. Crust and Crumb is another good Reinhart book.

Here's what you can consider using to make things easy - very easy. The Lodge Cast Iron LCC3 Cast-Iron Combo Cooker which costs $36.97 at Amazon, Walmart, Target, et al. No S&L charges apply.

As you can see from the photo you get 2 pieces and the low-profile skillet functions as a lid for the 3-quart Dutch Oven. You place the dough on the lid and cover with the pre-heated deep Dutch oven (bottom) and proceed as usual. 

You don't have to heat the 'lid' to 500F - just the deep unit. Makes positioning, scoring, etc. very easy without burning your hands which is always nice - LOL!

CC

I used flour sack towels that worked pretty well.

10. Yep. I will be buying that now.

That unit is sweet......mow I need to figure out how to get word to Santa :ey:

12. #21052 over dere, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014

That was the first book by Peter R. that I started with - highly recommended. His American Pie is another book of his you might enjoy - all about pizza! Incredible research on his part about different styles of pizza dough around the country.

The Italian pizza dough from Naples, i.e. Neapolitan is my favorite. No olive oil just flour, yeast, water and salt. Perfect for the purists like me - LOL! 

13. Yes, coot...are you sure you arent profiting on these? Lol! Ill be buying one too!

14. Purist or minimalist?
    Waktoo clued me into that book, I've renewed it twice from my Library and figure I'll just be more comfortable with buying it.

15. Here's a pic of the crumb from the above loaf. I'm not 100% happy with the rise of the loaf and am wondering if the dutch oven is so big that the loaf reached for the sides on it's way up.

[​IMG]

16. Sure is tasty though :yummy:

17. #21057 over dere, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014

Chunk

Here's what would help - during the fermenting stage do two stretch & fold procedures. Do the first one about 1 hour into that cycle and another one at 2 hours.

This will strengthen the gluten strands which will give your bread more oven spring and it will be able to hold that shape with the stretch & fold deal. This also gives you more 'air holes' in the bread's crumb.

HTH

CC

18. Adding 2 tsp. of fresh-ground malted barley grain in the initial batching process will really move the flavor and texture forward, i.e. what bakers call diastatic malt.

Pure gold!

19. <span>Bought a 24" x 36" frame at Michaels last night and mounted this picture a while ago. I may airbrush some white notes around the border of the frame to match the notes Stevie had on his guitar strap.</span>

<span> SRVFramedPhoto.jpg </span>