The Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Luvs2splooj, Jan 25, 2013.

1. #241 El Duderino, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    i didnt actually know there was a golf thread... today at work, i jump started  a lady's car at her house. she was having a garage sale when i got there and when i was finished she told me i could have anything on her driveway. so i picked up an old golf bag that had 4 clubs in it.

its a Burton bag. nice soft leather. it needs a cleaning but one of the pouches had a whole shit load of tees and pencils, and another pouch was full of these little tiny forks. maybe something used on the green when putting, maybe to mark your place when playing with multiple people. the clubs are a driver, a putter, and two "chipping(?)" clubs. i have yet to identify the clubs make and such because i left i it all in my work truck. 

theres a Top Golf a little ways from me, so maybe they'll let me in now... 

2. Those little "forks" are for repairing the mark your ball leaves when it lands on the green.

-(Tim)-
    TakeTheCrown

3. please expand... ive only ever been to a driving range.

4. #244 donutbread, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    Well you hit the ball high in the air, so naturally the ball leaves a mark when it hits the green. Then you use the repair tool to nudge the turf, then you tamp it down with your putter.
    I wish I had visual to show you. Look something up on YouTube like "how to repair a ball mark" or "how to repair a divot". Although its not really called a divot, some people use that term.

-(Tim)-
    TakeTheCrown

5. Homestead Golf Course in Lakewood, CO.
    Short championship course. Only one par 5 in all 18. Had some really cool par 3s. Like one that dropped about 50ft. I was able to drop it within 10ft.

So is there anyone on here still playing golf at this time of year?

-(Tim)-
    TakeTheCrown

Attached Files:

6. I took a break for a bit but am starting to practice a bit more. Anyone watch the Hero PGA golf tournament that's been on? First tournament Tigers been back. I watched the first day and he flubbed 4 chips! 2 of them right in a row. Makes me feel better about when I do that. Apparently he vomited on the course today too.

7. Have always been a big Tiger fan but I'm sadly now of the opinion he likely will not win another major for a few reasons:

1. His body is toast.
    2. His mind is toast. He isn't the swagger filled guy he used to be.. See fire hydrant incident.
    3. The game has changed in large part to him. When he came on the scene there were only a few athletes playing golf. Now there are only a few pga pros that aren't athletes. Equipment is better as is the competition. Jordan Speith may be better than Tiger with a totally different approach. I look forward to seeing how he comes along over the next few years. The time of one player dominating the sport are over in my opinion.

8. #248 Texaslover, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
    Golf is challenging. I think for most people it requires playing often and practicing more. The tour stats would tell you the most important stat for scoring is greens in regulation. So what that means for us is that we need to put the ball in a place where we can hit our approach shot to at least the fat part of the green. If you can do that its 2 putt and par becomes routine. I haven't been able to play or practice as much the past few years and as such i have gone from a 3 handicap to north of 10. This spring I am going to see a huge increase in my practice time and hope it will pay off.

9. Golf is indeed a challenging game. I've come to realize that your diet has a great effect on your consistency. Some days everything feels fluid, you're hitting a lot of pure shots. But then others, you can't keep proper balance and therefore, can't keep a consistent swing.

(Tim)
    -No donut is more delightful-
    =Dumars=

10. I buy that. Diet effects everything about performance in my experience. Stress is another variable that has a huge effect on my game.

11. Anyone have any goals for this year, golf-wise?

Right now I'm scoring in the 90s. By the end of the season, I plan to be writing down an 85 or less.
    End of the season is pretty much the end of November for me.

(Tim)
    =Dumars=

12. Golf is my favorite sport. I have played it since I was 8 years old. I played in high school and in the colorado golf association for a year, but once I went to college I stopped playing as often. But now I'm getting back into it and I also watch the tournaments on weekends. I wood like to see Tiger kick some ass.

13. You still in Colorado? If so, where do you golf at?

(Tim)
    =Dumars=

14. I'm actually living in good ole wyoming. But I still travel to northern colorado to play quite frequently, weather permitting of course. I like to play southridge and pellican lakes most often.

15. You know, I never get to venture outside the Mile High for golf. And I'm usually playing the decent muni courses because I'm a cheap ass.
    But my dad got me a gift card for Arrowhead Golf Club for my birthday back in July. Still haven't used it, and probably won't until course conditions are ripe.
    I feel like I've heard of Pelican Lakes though. Is that Fort Collins?

(Tim)
    =Dumars=

16. Pelican lakes is in Windsor, just a little south of Fort Collins. 

17. Sweet. Someday I wanna get out of Denver to play. I work March-end Nov at South Suburban Golf Course. So I get free range balls and extremely discounted rounds for myself.

(Tim)
    =Dumars=

If you are more advanced, get the Titleist. In my opinion it's the best you can get. I have been using my ap2 irons for 4 years and they are still like brand new, except I did put some new grips on them. I have been using the 910 woods for 3 years and they are still holding up. I have tried Taylormade products in the past and they don't last as long as Titleist, in my opinion. If you're looking at getting a new putter, go for the Scotty Cameron. The precision and time that goes into making Scotty's is just unbelievable. I know the prices are a lot steeper for Titleist products, but you really get what you pay for. 

I haven't recorded my handicap through the PGA in a couple of years, but it's around 6-8 now. I'm hoping to get it back down to 4 once the weather starts to warm up. 

19. Damn man, you giving advice on old posts. Haha.

If you ever find yourself in the Mile High, get on GC and PM me.
    The only thing is, I'm not a course snob. As in, a decent muni course is fine with me. As long as not all 18 holes look the same.
    Gonna go play Fossil Trace in Golden before the winter rates are done.

(Tim)
    =Dumars=

20. I'm currently in Oregon. Golf has been a favorite sport of mine ever since I was a little kid. OP is definitely right, golf is truly a mental challenge as well as the obvious physical aspect of it. There's nothing like lighting up a joint during a nice warm evening during a game of golf, deep into the course and away from society. Me and my buds would go out to the course almost 3 times a week during one year. Heck, we were even playing in the snow. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1422142903.833417.jpg