The Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Luvs2splooj, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Oh I'm not that good. I have a good swing and a really good putting stroke... But focus comes and goes. I could score lower if I put a little more time and focus in.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. ummmm doubtful

3. Awesome end to the PGA championship today. The guys made it quite an exciting last round to watch Rory is just playing to good right now knowbody has a chance. 3
    Victories in a row can't wait to watch him next year as he seems to be on cruz control.

4. #224 llllllllll, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
    Bout to order a set of Nike VR Pro Blades...

[​IMG]

I've been looking to make the investment into a good set of irons for quite a while now... I have some shit set from like the 70s or 80s... I still get around fine if I avoid using the long outdated long irons in place of a hybrid...  

Wasn't sure if I should look into cavity back irons since Blades have a steep learning curve for most amateur players... oh well.. my ball striking is really good and clean so I should be able to make decent shots without having to rely on a cavity back or forged iron style.

Also the best looking blades on the market... nothing comes close other than TM Tour Preferred.

5. #225 donutbread, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
    So I work grounds crew at a local public golf course... We had our annual "Maintenance Madness" tourney today. Four teams of 4, best ball.
    2nd hole, par 5, were out 260yds from the flag... And I pure my 3w to 3ft to set up a tap-in eagle. Felt sooo good. And we won at -11. Got a 20 dollar bill out of it. Overall a great day of golf.

I see Rory taking a step back early in the season. I think he doesn't win the Masters til 2016. I could see him picking up the US Open again though.
    I'm really thinking Rickie will win one next season. His swing is truly a thing of beauty now. His putting is fantastic. Why not, at this point?

6. Have you seem the tiger/ Rory limited edition vapor irons. 1000 made. 1500 bucks.

Attached Files:

7. I'm getting so close to breaking par. I keep having a double and like 2-3 bogeys a round from stupid stuff. Once I iron out the noob mistakes I feel like I can go par or better more often than not. Yesterday I played well on a course I've never played before but fucked it up. I was 1 under and had an easy up and down for birdie. I decelerated on the chip and it pliugged in the bunker in front of me, I got that on and 3 putted for a double. And 2 seperate holes I had a 60* in and just didn't hit it hard enough, if I knew my 3/4 shot distance better I'd of clubbed up, but both shots ended up costing me a bogey.
    It's simple little stupid stuff like that that's keeping me from great rounds.

8. So do you guys toke up when you play?

I do, but find I have a threshold. If I get too high, then I'm play an awful game of golf. However, if I'm at a 'level' as it were, I find that my game improves drastically.

When I'm sober I think I over concentrate and try and hit these incredibly powerful shots (especially drives) great when they pay off. Yet when they don't, I'm deep in the rough.

Yet when I'm on a 'level' I gracefully swing at the ball and although I sacrifice a bit of distance it is usually straight down the middle.

Does weed affect your play? Positive or negative?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Never.  I always play sober... I play to do well.. not just have fun outside. If that were the case i'd just chip around in my backyard.

I dont do well when I'm high

10. I do make a lot more dumb mistakes when I'm high. I've shot 90 when sober. I've improved but my execution isn't always there when I've had too many marijuana's.

My name is Tim and I want a nugget of Golden Goat

11. #231 donutbread, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014
    So I'm going to the final round of the BMW Championship on Sunday. Decided to go to the dispensary yesterday to buy some raspberry jelly candies to hide under my hat. 10mg each.
    I don't know for sure that they won't check under my hat when I walk in, but I know they don't check hats at baseball games.
    I just want to enjoy watching the pros go at it while under Mary's influence.

I think the few players I'll try to follow will be:

Rickie Fowler
    Gary Woodland
    Jordan Spieth
    Adam Scott
    Martin Kaymer

And of course those who will be in contention on Sunday. I have to see Rory for sure. Hopefully an on-the-line view of his driver/3w swing.

My name is Tim and I want a nugget of Golden Goat

12. I always smoke when I play, it calms my mind and I tend to not over analyze what's going on. I've been golfing for almost 15 years and am about a 3 handicap, so it comes almost like second nature but without Mary I'm all up in my head

13. Played in a casual 9 hole skins game at my Club today and shot a 30. Had birdies on 1 4 7 8 and an eagle on 3 and the rest pars. Won 120$.

14. yeah ok wii golfing doesn't count bud. How are you struggling to break par if you're shooting 6 under par on 9 holes??

15. #235 Luvs2splooj, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
    Big number holes ruining my round and my putter not being on. I haven't been able to start my putts on line lately but today something worked and I made everything in 10 feet, and I put a bunch of shots close so.. I also played the tees 1 up from the back which made a couple holes slightly easier, but didn't affect that much. I'm actually more comfortable from the backs because I know the distances.
    Plus I hit every fairway and green except 1 green where my drive was 10 yards short of it(short par 4) and I bladed it over. Honestly that shouldv been another birdie it was a pretty easy chip, I tried to accelerate through it more but just bladed it over the green a bit.

16. fair enough, if you believe it more power to ya. I find it very hard to believe

17. #237 Luvs2splooj, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
    I don't blame you. Half way through when they kept landing close I just started laughing to myself. It felt way too easy. TBH if I continued the round to the second 9 I'd of probably lost a few shots, though I'd like to think otherwise. I know I can go low because I've had a lot of birdie chances they just haven't been dropping. I wouldn't lie about stuff like this cause that's just kind of pathetic. I've been practicing pretty much daily the last 4 years or so. I'm not bragging it's just the best I've ever played so I'm telling everyone :p

Here's a swing of mine from a couple years ago and it has improved a lot since then
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1jkO3WasTQ&list=UUv8D3mcBmfdjgQstYZ0sQ2w

18. #238 donutbread, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
    So here's the dilemma: all the courses I get an employee discount to have just aerified their greens and collars. Now I have to pay real money for golf the next month. Damn. Or endless free range balls. Lol.

19. #239 Luvs2splooj, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
    Shot a 32 on the back 9 in a Ryder Cup event my club held last weekend. Now I just need to put the 30 on the front and 32 on the back together. Tees were slightly further up than 1 up from the back though, but still. I have a feeling I'll be reporting some 18 hole scores soon, it feels like my games about to be there. Weird thing is that I'm not even hitting it that well. My driver has been my #1 problem but I'm finally getting that consistently in the fairway with half decent distance. And I'm starting to feel more comfortable with my wedge from off the green than I have been since I had taken a break for a while.

Not preaching but IMO this is the winning recipe to playing well for ANYONE:
    As long as you aren't slicing/hooking the ball OB, anyone can play well by just focusing on hitting fairways and greens. If you miss the green then work on your chip shots to the point where you feel you can hit them solid consistently during rounds and you have a general idea of where your chip will land. That's all you need to get up and down your fair share. If you miss a fairway just pick out whatever large portion of the green the flags at and just try to hit it around that area. From the rough it's all about club selection and deciding where you're going to aim. You're playing just to hit the green at that point, too many people let the rough get inside their head. Again it's all about contact.
    If you want to get good and you aren't hitting the ball at least solid enough during a round to where you know you will hit it pin high then that should be your number one priority thing to practice. When I've played with my brother and some other occasional players they just have too many mishits but they don't seem to realize that that is their problem. It doesn't matter if you hit it right on line if it isn't solid. Just work on ball contact. Fairway, green 2 putt at worst. If you can hit a solid chip within 5-10 feet of where you want to and keep your drives in play you'll always play under 80 IMO.

Again, not preaching, I just smoked so I'm kind of rambling as it's coming to me. I've just really started to feel it the last couple months. 3 things to think about while golfing: Fairways and greens, solid contact, and get in a rhythm. Both swing rhythm and rhythm while your playing. If you have a couple bad holes, don't worry. Just trust that it will come and you'll get in the swing of it. Unless you're just hitting every shot fat, anyone can get in a rhythm.
    That'd happen when I used to work on cart staff. I usually just suck it up and play on the bad greens. Usually they look worse than they are and it can be good practice either way.

20. So do you guys play through the winter? I know its probably really tough in the NE states. I live in the Denver, CO metropolitan and we get plenty of no snow- 45*F days. I'm thinking I'll take advantage whenever I can. Try to get some work in while many people let their swing get rusty.

-(Tim)-
    Upsidedown Mountains