The Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Luvs2splooj, Jan 25, 2013.

1. #1 Luvs2splooj, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
    So I noticed we don't have one of these so I'm making one. Though I don't know how many people here play golf.

To me golf is a great sport. One that requires excellent precision and execution. As well as athleticism when it comes to the higher tiered, more serious golfing. Golf also tests you mentally. It tests your nerves and self control.

Learning the golf swing and always improving and working on it is what is best about the sport. Players that are truly unique and smart will figure things out on their own that others will not. That's just one more challenge and angle of competition to the game. It's really a deep sort of dedication within yourself when your serious about it.

That being said, the PGA tour is starting up about now and we'll have some tournaments to watch every weekend. May be cliche but I'm rooting for Tiger to win some tournaments. As well as Bubba to win a couple more to solidify his position as one of the better players.

Rory's swing is so filthy it's not even funny. Pure perfection. I mean just watch this shit:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUIWuVoHWmU]Rory McIlroy rips driver at Wentworth - YouTube[/ame]
    So clean and fluid and everything. Gives me chills. Can't imagine what it's like to hit one like that.

Anyways, wanted to see who else is interested. I'm a decent player myself, still working on my swing and getting rid of some noob moves but I'm gaining on it. I average 75-80 at my home course. I suggest everyone that has a slight interest go hit a couple baskets of balls a few times a week. A lot of courses/ranges sell range packages that are relatively cheap. Once you get a rhythm going you won't want to stop.

2. I love golf. I have played it since I was in diapers.

As a young kid, you couldn't drag me away from the golf course. I was out there all the time. My teachings, however, were less about how to play golf, how to swing correctly and whatnot, and more about the integrity of the game. Honesty, perseverance, patience, respect, are all important aspects of this game, and if you really want to test yourself in this sport, these qualities are a necessity.

The OP is correct in that it will challenge you mentally. This is often an overlooked aspect of a golfer's development. Many people will take to the Rory McIlroys and Tiger Woods of golf and want to go out and pound the ball 350 yards down the middle. However, the truly physical aspect of golf should only be perfected after a long intimate journey of the soul as it pertains to the game of golf.

Golf is a game that should shape you in to a better person before you shape yourself in to a better golfer. My suggestion is to learn to love the game. It is tough. There is no getting around that. If you can find yourself (that is, who you are) out there on the course, you will be better equipped to enjoy the game and get better at it.

3. Why is this not a sticky? This needs to be a sticky, NOW! People, start caring about golf.

Golf is a metaphor for life, but don't let fame get to your head or crazy women will chase you with golf clubs.

4. I don't think too many people on GC golf. Most people only have on expensive habit at a time ya know ;)

5. It doesn't have to be expensive. Personally, I play for free. Otherwise, golf can be less than a gram of some d nugs.

Golf is more of a spiritual/character builder than it is a sport, even though it's certainly a sport.

But alas, you are right. It still should be up there because golf is such a great sport. Plus, playing it stoned is off the hook.

6. I agree with what Orange said in his first post. And it doesn't have to be expensive to get good at golf. A range membership is usually a fair price for a large number of balls. And weekday afternoon rates are usually cheap if you can get off.

7. I was demotivated, but the start of the PGA Tour has been great to watch. Tiger ran away with it at Torrey Pines last week, and Phil has been way ahead for the first two rounds this week. I think this is really energizing the fanbase.

As far as my game... I haven't played many rounds because of laziness over the past few months, but I've been working my swing and I just bought a glove that significantly reduces grip pressure. I'm excited because my swing is getting closer to consistent. Gonna go play a round on monday, assuming the 59 and partly cloudy forecast holds somewhat close.

8. This is good. It makes me think of an old golf adage:

Grip the club like it were you holding a bird. Hold it tight enough so it can't fly away, but not so tight you will hurt it.

9. My swing felt considerably better than it did the last round I played over a month ago. It's not just the glove, but I sure do love it.

Attached Files:

10. Is that a picture you took?

11. Yes sir/ma'am. I hit my shot about a club and a half too long, it landed on a slope and rolled back into the snowtrap.

12. That's snow!? I thought it was a sand trap. lol I'm from the deep Southeast U.S. so you gotta give me a break

That is a neat looking course, where is it at?

I'm a sir, BTW. :D

13. It is a sandtrap... Just leftover snow here in Denver. And it's a par 3 course. I'm sticking to that right now because I'm scared of using my driver.

14. you will not make this put, jackass

15. Been playing a lot. Shot 79 yesterday with 3 doubles in a 4 hole stretch and a few random bogeys. Shot 81 today, only 1 over the front 9 with two bogeys and 1 birdy, fell apart the back 9 :/

16. Should I get the new Taylormade r1 or the 913 titleist? Hit both, love both... I need some input from golfers I don't know.

17. I like look of the Titleist more personally.

18. Me too... Played titleist most of my life. But I'm still stuck. I just can't wait to get out and chase the ball around.

19. I honestly couldn't give any input on the best equipment... I'm still a value golfer... My 13 piece set is Spalding. I'm starting to turn a corner, but I still can't justify buying new clubs when I could just save that for more rounds.

You guys recorded a handicap? I haven't yet... But if I had to guess, probably in the 15-18 range.

20. I just put in my 5th score for a handicap tonight which is I think how many it takes to get one. So well see, all 5 were ranging from 79-84