Silverback Gorilla vs. Grizzly Bear - Who would win in a fight?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by jackhos, Jan 25, 2013.

lion vs. Tiger is a harder call than that brah, i say it depends on the animals indivual skill in that match

2. #262 dray123, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
    None of what you said makes sense even if you had a 1000 pound grizzly vs a 600 pound silverback which is about the average size of the mountain gorilla a bigger stronger species of gorilla I like the silverback in this fight and I will tell you why. A silverback gorilla its been estimated has the strength of about 7-8 olympic lifters and that's a modest estimate some experts say it's stronger,and a bite force that exceeds that of even the big cats around 1300 pounds per square inch. You made the statement that a gorilla would only be slightly stronger than the bear that would be inaccurate when you consider studies that suggest bears have the strength of about 3-4 men and gorillas have the strength of about 20-30 men, one study suggest that gorillas have the strength to lift  4 sudans over head that's cars and that's about 4-6 tons I doubt very seriously if the 1000 pound or even 1400 pound bear would be forcing its weight on an animal that can lift four tons overhead the bears limbs would be snapped and it would be quickly immobilized is the more likely scenario.

Another advantage gorillas have is the fact that the gorilla has hands and they are extremely intelligent second to only men in intelligence, it is very agile and dexterous and those powerful hands regularly break bamboo which has been studiesd and proven, and is true, has a tensile strength stronger than steel, gorillas regularly break 3-5 inch bamboo like twigs it is not at all unlikely that the gorilla breaks the bears limbs easily immobilizes it and then breaks its neck,do you think a bears arms or legs are as strong as a 5 inch steel pipe? of course you don't. I like the gorilla in a tussle for this and many other reasons if the gorilla gets its hands in the bears mouth ripping the jaws apart like thread becomes a very real possibility also. The only danger I see the bear posing is a swipe from its paw but that does not necessarily suggest that the bears swipe would end the fight, gorillas have a much thicker and denser bone structure than humans and are also intelligent enough to avoid the paws and maneuver behind the bear and get on its back at which point im convinced the gorilla would have a field day, there are several options it can use to win the fight, get the bear in a headlock and snap its neck like breaking a bread stick, pry its jaws apart and rip them apart like removing a sectioned pizza slice from a large dominos pizza, bite the nape of the neck and sever the bears spine, put its thumbs in the bears eye sockets and and gouge the eyes out at which point the bear would be totally incapacitated at which point the gorilla could do whatever he wanted to do to the bear.

And lets not forget the hands on the gorillas legs yea a gorilla basically has four hands, and his legs which are much  stronger than the gorillas arms, arms of which I might remind you again regularly snap 4-5 inch bamboo like twigs bamboo that has been proven to have a tensile strength stronger than steel. Hands on both the legs and arms, strength that has been estimated to be so powerful that it can hoist 4 sudans that's cars overhead, a superior intelligence and bite force actually puts the gorilla at a distinct advantage. The only advantage the bears has is in weight which is easily and quickly negated by the gorillas unearthly strength, and the bears paw swipe which the gorilla has the intelligence to avoid. I honestly don't see how the grizzly could ever hope to win this contest with the exception of those two factors. I know of a russian trainer of wild animals who said his gorillas would regularly grab the tails of full grown male lions and hurl them 100s of feet like they were nothing but stuffed animals he said gorillas are freakishly powerful. A male silverback gorilla wins this contest hands down barring a swipe from the bears paw, besides that the gorilla beats him in every other dept.  Getting in a tussle with a gorilla would be a deadly mistake on the bears part, his best chance would be to stay on the outside and swipe with his paws but we both know that is not going to happen, they would eventually lock and grapple at which point based on all these key factors the gorilla essentially rips and breaks the bear apart. Oh one other thing, we are talking about a mild mannered gorilla in terms of strength, we haven't factored in the strength of a male silverback when he is enraged I think it's safe to say that those strength estimates rise substantially when the beast is enraged, probably in the range of 60- 70 men and the ability to lift 9 cars do you honestly think the bear would stand a chance in hell when facing such unearthly strength, intelligence and ferocity?

• Like Like x 2
  3. ^yes, I do believe the bear would stand a chance because as has already been said in this thread, people used to do this shit for kicks all the time and the bears always won.

4. well i saw this documentary about apes last night, narrated mostly by James Franco. i say the gorilla would win because one of those things managed to bring down the film crew's helicopter. also im really excited for Dawn of The Planet of The Apes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #265 El Duderino, Jul 9, 2014
    guy makes an account and makes his first post in a year old thread about the greatest wildlife question ever. unearthly. 

• Like Like x 4
  6. #266 AugustWest, Jul 9, 2014

^^

serious biznuss right there.

7. That's passion yo.

Though I think 60-70 is way too high of an estimate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Who is this niggga talking to? Lol, A Jaguar would take both of them at the same time.

9. Gorilla would have to get lucky...cuz dat bear for some burl claws and bears are used to carnivores as well as herbivores.. So they are naturally more BurL. Bear win.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

10. A grizzly would definitely beat a jaguar.

11. I guess the sarcasm wasn't apparent.

12. Another story worth noting is an incident that happened between a male silverback gorilla and a full grown male chimp in a zoo, a gorilla accidentally crossed a pond that separated the gorillas from the chimps and ended up on the chimps side, an aggressive territorial male chimp attacked the gorilla it is reported the gorilla handled the chimp so easily that it sent him running back to his cave badly injured, the only injury the gorilla suffered was a little water in his lungs from accidentally crossing the pond and not being able to swim but that couldn't even be considered an injury, chimps are known to be very aggressive at times and have badly injured, maimed and killed several people, they have an estimated strength of about 7-8 men and have been reported to practically rip 200 plus pound men apart with ease, one reported chimp attack on a man resulted in the chimp killing the man and ripping his jaw off his face so badly that the man was unrecognizable that was just one of the injuries that resulted in the mans death, it is reported that the man weighed over 200 pounds and tried desperately to fight the chimp off but his efforts were futile and he was practically torn to pieces and unrecognizable thats how strong chimps are, but the male gorilla straight bitched the full grown male chimp and would have killed him if he hadn't ran, gorillas are at least 5-6 times stronger than chimps. A male silverback gorilla wins this contest hands down barring a swipe from the bears paw, besides that the gorilla easily beats him in every other dept.

13. Lol I major in zoo medicine and wildlife research and even that one guys post was to much for me. Scientifically speaking: the gorilla should always win because of sheer brute strength and agility.
    But in a street fight I'm taking the bears side

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. The human organizing the fight is the real winner here.

15. Another story worth noting is an incident that happened between a male silverback gorilla and a full grown male chimp in a zoo, a gorilla accidentally crossed a pond that separated the gorillas from the chimps and ended up on the chimps side, an aggressive territorial male chimp attacked the gorilla it is reported the gorilla handled the chimp so easily that it sent him running back to his cave badly injured, the only injury the gorilla suffered was a little water in his lungs from accidentally crossing the pond and not being able to swim but that couldn't even be considered an injury, chimps are known to be very aggressive at times and have badly injured, maimed and killed several people, they have an estimated strength of about 7-8 men and have been reported to practically rip 200 plus pound men apart with ease, one reported chimp attack on a man resulted in the chimp killing the man and ripping his jaw off his face so badly that the man was unrecognizable that was just one of the injuries that resulted in the mans death, it is reported that the man weighed over 200 pounds and tried desperately to fight the chimp off but his efforts were futile and he was practically torn to pieces and unrecognizable thats how strong chimps are, but the male gorilla straight bitched the full grown male chimp and would have killed him if he hadn't ran, gorillas are at least 5-6 times stronger than chimps. A male silverback gorilla wins this contest hands down barring a swipe from the bears paw, besides that the gorilla easily beats him in every other dept. If the gorilla gets his fingers im the bears eye sockets  which is a very real possibilty  he would easily rip the eyes out and dismantle and rip the skull apart as easy as I rearrange a jigsaw puzzle. It would be complete and utter suicide for the bear if the gorilla gets his hands on the bear, the bear would be manhandled as easily as I man handle by 5 year old nephew the strength disparity is totally unfair, gorillas are much, much, much stronger than any species of bear.

16. I think the monkey would run circles around the grizzly and confuse it. Then it would do a pile driver out of a tree to finish it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. #277 dray123, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
    The mention of gorillas lifting 4 tons should actually be 2 tons that was a typo on my part in a text file that I failed to adjust and properly proof read, but two tons is about the size of two family cars which is still quite impressive something no bear could ever hope to accomplish. Gorillas are much much stronger than any species of bear. The strength of 60-70 men I said when enraged is a very legitimate estimate when you consider the fact that gorillas have the strength of about 20-30 men while at ease, the strength of animals including humans has been known to double or even triple when they are scared or angry so that is a very real and logical estimate.  

There are links below to validate what I am saying. 

Gorillas Strength 
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthpicturegalleries/7521275/The-strongest-living-land-creatures-on-Earth-measured-by-their-power-to-weight-ratio.html?image=3 

Silver Back Gorilla Pulls Small Tree Down With One Arm. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNdURQEOki0 

Strength Of Bamboo 
    http://discovermagazine.com/1996/jun/thebamboosolutio784 

http://www.ijitee.org/attachments/File/v2i5/E0690042413.pdf 

Average Weight Of Grizzly 4-600 pounds: No real weight advantage for the bear here. 

http://westernwildlife.org/grizzly-bear-outreach-project/bear-identification/ 

18. 60-70 what?

19. Not enough information.

:lol:

20. An enraged gorilla having the strength of that many men.