Post those SCROG screens

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by uneek, Jan 23, 2013.

1. #261 greaterthings123, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  2. A honesty I've read this a lot. When it comes to leds unfortunately it is "you get what you pay for" California connection is expensive but fucken no bad reviews yet I have seen.

3. #263 thcCR, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
    Hi guys, so this is my first SCROG, Im open to all opinions and questions. Im not sure when should I flower and I have big doubts with trimming: where, when and why? Any help is more tan appreciated!! the last pic are some more clones (only the better ones) I will be adding on the sides of the screen, right now they are under 310w of CFL. I have a 600w HPS for flowering... When should I flower my babes? Thanks  :smoke:

Attached Files:

4. Very nice plants you got there CR. I had a pretty full screen when I flipped mine, but I was trying to compensate for any removal of a male that I might have. A 70-80% filled in screen is when a lot of people flip the lights, really depends on your height restrictions though. Trimming is a pretty common debate I feel like but for my gals I started to trim off any bud sites that I didn't think would make it to the screen.

5. #266 greaterthings123, Nov 5, 2014
    The pictures make it seem lik the plants aren't touching the screen yet.  Let them grow into the screen and as they try to push thru, reach under and pull them back down aiming the branch towards open screen areas.  Try to get one bud site to each square in your screen.  When your screen is full (looks like for you it will take 3 weeks or so, maybe more because of the cfls... make sure to keep them as close as you can without getting your plants too hot)  or 80% full screen minimum, then switch the light to 12/12.  After 12/12, I would continue to pull branches down as they stretch up for about 2 weeks.  Try to keep your canopy even so you can keep your HPS less than 18 inches away. 

Your plants seem very healthy.  By 310 watts of CFL, you mean actual watts, right?  like 10-12 bulbs?  How large is your screen?  I don't think you will need to add your clones in.  I think your scrog will fill in enough.  If you must, you may consider setting them on the sides of your scrog above the screen to capture side light.  This is something I have wanted to try in order to maximize my yields while still pulling the weight ScrOG is known for.  Runoff from watering the "side-lighters" may be weird to deal with, but it would be cool to see.

Do you have a journal?

Also, my recommendation for trimming would be not to do ANY until 3-4 weeks of 12/12.  Then, I wouldn't touch ANYTHING above the screen until harvest.  If you get your screen full enough, you should "lolli-pop"  the bottoms.  If you don't think a branch will reach the screen, cut it off.  I personally left a lot on the bottom on, which I don't think was the best choice.  Basically, keep as much on as makes sense.  A lot of popcorn on the bottom isn't good if it is taking food that could have put weight on your tops. 

No worries man. I frequently read your journal just can't always subscribe to threads that update super often. It blows up my notifications haha. Diggin your scrog man, I was surprised about your weight though.  :confused_2:  Thought for sure it was going to be a pounder. This round!

7. Either way its awesome!

The flowers alone will keep the coffers full for a long ass time! The wife and I maybe and that's a big maybe go through an â…› a week.

I've puffed a couple bowls and have been loving the qwiso!

I feel I lost a lot of potential from the super uneven canopy. That's my focus now. Even canopy and even light distribution.

I just got to grow her out like a big bowl first before i flip.

The inside area directly under the light grows super fast and the outside grows a bit slower. So I'm going to account for that in the transition by allowing those outer edges to grow above the the screen pre flip.

I lost a lot of growing tips to my screen grid being too small also. So many dead light starved branches.

I'm also going to play with defoliating the plant a bit during the veg process. I think come flower it'll just help being able to see better.

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now."

1000 watt Scrog Journal

8. Thanks Harverster!! This is not my first grow, I kind of know my way around but this is my first scrog and first time usuing a 600w HPS.
    Above the screen I have about 34" to play with.  So, let me get this straight, you trim any leaf that might be in the way of the the nodes pushing trough the screen? How about the under foliage and the small branches that probably wont make it on time to be part of the canopy? I know some should go, but how agressively should I do this? I dont want to stress the babes! Thanks

btw letter scrog is pretty dam nice, Ill be following

9. #271 thcCR, Nov 5, 2014

The pictures make it seem lik the plants aren't touching the screen yet.  Let them grow into the screen and as they try to push thru, reach under and pull them back down aiming the branch towards open screen areas.  Try to get one bud site to each square in your screen.  When your screen is full (looks like for you it will take 3 weeks or so, maybe more because of the cfls... make sure to keep them as close as you can without getting your plants too hot)  or 80% full screen minimum, then switch the light to 12/12.  After 12/12, I would continue to pull branches down as they stretch up for about 2 weeks.  Try to keep your canopy even so you can keep your HPS less than 18 inches away. 
    \nHi greater! Sorry, the quality of the pics was not the best, but the plants are touching the screen, its just not full and I have been tucking the plants under the screen for some days now, there are a few spots that still need some more growth but they are on their way! 3 weeks? I was planing on adding one more 85w bulb just to accelerate things a little. Yup I try not tu burn the leafs but sometimes it happens, but they are ok, actually its the only kind of damage my plants have had. 18" should be the distance between the light and the canopy??

Your plants seem very healthy.  By 310 watts of CFL, you mean actual watts, right?  like 10-12 bulbs?  How large is your screen?  I don't think you will need to add your clones in.  I think your scrog will fill in enough.  If you must, you may consider setting them on the sides of your scrog above the screen to capture side light.  This is something I have wanted to try in order to maximize my yields while still pulling the weight ScrOG is known for.  Runoff from watering the "side-lighters" may be weird to deal with, but it would be cool to see.
    \nThank you, I have taken good care of them! Yes sir, 310 actual CFL watts, I know that the more and smaller the lights the more effective they are but becuase of my conditions I had to go with less but bigger bulbs, I have 3 85w (Ill prob add one more) and 2 27w, My bulbs are free to move around so I do it and it has helped a lot, they are on 24 hours. The idea sound interesting but Im not sure if the screen will support some 6 extra pots, but Ill figure it out, Ill do something interesting with them clones, the smaller ones I will be moving outdoors.

Do you have a journal?
    \nNo sir, I do not have a journal, I would gladly do it but for security and time reasons Im not able at this time.
    \nAlso, my recommendation for trimming would be not to do ANY until 3-4 weeks of 12/12.  Then, I wouldn't touch ANYTHING above the screen until harvest.  If you get your screen full enough, you should "lolli-pop"  the bottoms.  If you don't think a branch will reach the screen, cut it off.  I personally left a lot on the bottom on, which I don't think was the best choice.  Basically, keep as much on as makes sense.  A lot of popcorn on the bottom isn't good if it is taking food that could have put weight on your tops. 
    \nOk, So in the next few days Ill trimm some of the under foliage and the small branches that wont make it to the top.
    \nThanks dude I appreciate the help! Any further questions just shoot. Im uploading a picture so you guys get a better idea of whats going on.

Attached Files:

I am still learning as well, so hopefully some more experienced blades chime in. Before I flipped I trimmed anything that was obviously not going to make it to the screen. About 2-3 weeks into flower you should be able to tell what will become popcorn, some people wait until this time to do their trimming. I trim some in veg so it doesn't put all that stress on them at once. As far as any foliage at or around screen height, I do everything I can to keep them by tucking it back under the screen or if I must trim, I will cut the leaves in half instead of completely removing them (kinda like you do for clones). 

I am going to have a good amount of popcorn this round because it's so tight in there.
    Always learning.

11. Hey thanks!! thats some good advice! what do you mean by popcorn?? I will trim the very low leaves and the branches that wont make to the top.

12. I try to remove everything under the screen by the 3rd week of flower.

These will be extremely underdeveloped from the canopy above blocking out the light.

Thanks man! I'm trying my darnedest to get this strain down. She's a killer smoke. I want to try to have her yield to match.

I think the cooler temps will help a lot.

1000 watt Scrog Journal

I think you are on your way to a solid yield. What strain is it?

14. She's a fem Dinafem original strawberry cough.

Thanks! I'm excited about this run.

1000 watt Scrog Journal

15. Sweet!! looking nice, it seems to be a heavy yielder, I hope you get the best out of it!

17. I like the fact that you were honest involving your weights.  I know that goes without saying, but nonetheless, it is hard to sift through the exaggerators.  I remember posting something about my concern of your square size before I knew anything about scrog. It was for different reasons, but hey ... I TOLD YOU SO!  Just kidding.  I hope I've learned a bunch from you, GG, and AW too.  We'll find out at harvest.  Come by the journal to see the new update... 

In terms of playing with defoliating during veg... scary, but good luck.  I am thinking their may be use in it, but it has to be pre-meditated along with a planned training.  I want to train my scrog like AW's.  Damn!  How does he do it s perfectly?  I'm still not going to do any during veg, but based on my weight this harvest, I may or may not lolli-pop as much as GG does.  I hope to fill 40 jars this harvest... eh, maybe 60...

18. What up Scroggers!!!!

Here are some of my past scrogs I have done. I run a DIY V-Shaped scrog. I originally designed it this way to help bring the sides closer to the lights to reverse the effect of the square inverse law when I was using HID lights. Its also nice because it allows for my taller/lanky strains like OG kush to scrog well.

Here is a few photos of different scrogs I have done.

IMG_0001.JPG DSC09186.JPG IMG_20130213_222249.jpg DSC05449.JPG DSC03799.JPG DSC02318.JPG

• Like Like x 1