But What Do I Know?...

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by PsychedelicSam, Jan 20, 2013.

1. It's all about ingenuity, isn't it? That looks a lot like mine, only narrower. If I would have had a narrower box, I would have used it. Mine has too much room and it's too bulky for me to do much with. I wish I had another table to set it on so that I wouldn't have to bend so far to work with them, but such is life. I'm going to start some of mine this morning and hopefully they'll be established well enough by the first of March so that I can sex them and get them going. :)

2. The Next Generation Begins

I put my new nursery set up to use today. I had some seeds germinating and planted them.

[​IMG]

I used the same soil that I used previously with about 20% pea gravel.

[​IMG]

I was trying to decide what to use as a catch tray since I didn't want the bottom of my box to get wet. I thought that I would use a plate since I had an extra but when I looked in my cabinet I found these foil muffin pans I'd had for a while and they looked to be a perfect match for what I needed.

[​IMG]

I placed 12 filled jiffy cups in the spaces which was convenient since I had 12 germinated seeds. Once I cupped them I wet the soil in each and poured some water in the cup holder to wick up the cup sides. We're in a desert here and humidity is zilch. I dug a small hole in the center of each cup and placed one of the germinated seeds in each cup. I then loosely covered the holes with fresh soil and moistened it. I then put them in my little "incubator" and the wait begins. :D
    [​IMG]

3. My plants have thrips. :eek: I had spotted the little white spots a couple of weeks ago but saw no movement and assumed it was just large frost spots. Yesterday I started seeing dark brown spots on my sugar leaves and started to do some research, some of which identified those white things. Aphids or some kind of mite. I don't think they're causing the spotting I see on the sugar leaves because they're on lower leaves, but they are there. Since it's only 3 wks until harvest, I think I'll leave the bugs untreated. I don't want to use any chemicals at this stage and am not sure that soapy water will work on these. The spots could be a few different things. Since it starts at the top, it's more than likely a nutrient issue, either not enough for the current growth cycle or too much or pH lockout or even too much heat. I had been worried about the latter because it was getting warm up around the lights and you know how close they are. So I fed them again, just in case, moved the lights up, changed the halogens back to cfl and am keeping the fan on them. I'll just have to play it by ear, but I'm already satisfied with my results so if I have to harvest early it's not an issue. I've been smoking some popcorn buds and it already beats my wildest expectations. And I have 12 seedlings of my friends Cali weed just waiting to take it's place. Here's the latest picture updates. It's starting to do that Tangerine Dream thing where it starts stretching again and I think that means it's close to harvest anyway. Even at 10/14 it's doing it somewhat and I'm beginning to think that's just common to most phenotypes.:rolleyes:

I wonder what thrips taste like when smoked.:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to put them on a starvation diet for the last 2 wks instead of a full flush. I have no way to do that and since I'm not using a lot of harsh chemicals and am using soil, I think that will suffice, I like the way a full flush gets rid of the chlorophyll in the leaves so hopefully I can get some of that effect. We'll see. :D

4. Hey Sam! :wave: Wow just thought I'd drop in too see how its goin'! As per your usual, I am amazed. That plant you got there is looking, just oh so very awesome, like the buds on that thing. Wow. Awesome, Im very curious as too how much shes going to yeild once its dryed. Awesome seedling tray you've started up there too! Looks awesome man! Your second grow its gunna be even more awesome! Cant wait! :D

5. Thanks, Ty. I find it hard to believe myself. I've hardly had to do anything at all to them. Now that I've found the thrips/aphids/mites, I'll know what to look for the next time. This grow was mainly a rehearsal. All 12 of my seedlings have sprouted well and should be ready for sexing by the time I harvest these. I'm already excited about it.

Thanks for checking up on me. It gets kind of lonely.:D

6. Haha! Yea its truely awesome! That plant must just really like you ^^ You really think that you have pests?? You said you lived in an apartment? How could they have gotten there? Im just asking cause I also live in an apartment and I've always thought that since my plants are in a strictly indoor environment with no bugs present(Im on the 12th floor) that I'd never have to worry about that. But if they got in your apartment, I can only assume the same is possible for me....

I am also very psyched too see those seedlings take off its gunna be awesome! And I'm always watching man, always watching ^^

7. Sammy, I'm subbed to this thread so I'm always checking it, I've just never commented. Don't feel alone!

8. #48 STIGGY, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
    Hey Sam
    Looking cool, Question
    Did you mix a soil mix and then grow this?
    OK I see the MG spikes in the 1st part of story (how often did ya spike them)? amazing.
    I was reading and saw the part about no flush because you did not feed them with chem/nutes is this correct?
    I am blown away by just the soil bringing the buds to that size without feeding, or did I miss something?

9. I think the pests came from the soil. I've heard of that happening and I used really cheap soil. Plus, my apartment is really old and on the first floor and Arizona dust gets everywhere. They could have hitched a ride on my clothes or shoes. So don't think they can't reach the 12th floor. The best prevention is being observant so you can catch things early. There are some decent treatments but since I'm so close to finish, I'll wait until then.

I'll post a couple of pics of the sprouts this evening if possible.:)

10. Thanks, Fizz. I know a lot of people have subbed and I haven't fleshed out this thread yet. I'm used to my tincture thread which sometimes is hard to keep up with. Once the new crop starts I'll spend more time detailing it. :)

11. I just used that cheap Wal-Mart soil shown and a total of 3 spikes for veg, but a week or so after I flipped them I fed them a little MG Bloom Booster once a week. Once a week since it started vegging I've given them a small amount of molasses. That's it....the whole shebang.

It seems too easy, but what do I know? :rolleyes:

12. Thanks for posting. I grew up smoking in the early 80's and stopped until about 5 years ago. Tried some random grows and had good seedling success from bag seed but never followed through(must be my adult ADD).

Anyway, I have battled depression off and on for years. The green always helped keep me level. I am not a heavy smoker but smoke before bed and it had always gotten me through. Plus I have three teens who I am not ready to go down that road with yet. My 15 year old daughter didn't know weed was the same thing as cannabis or marijuana. This December I bottomed out from the depression and living in a anti-mj state it is get what you can get. This go around whatever it was didn't help and I ended up crashing hard, ended up resigning my position and living in seclusion for the last 6 weeks visiting the dark recesses of my mind. Not a good place to be by anyone's standards. Went out and applied for a job for the first time yesterday. So I see light at the end of the tunnel, we are struggling financially but I have come to learn that money is the least important thing. I am looking into starting my first grow but it has to be stealth due to the kids. We have a room in the basement where we sleep and will try to figure something out. My other concern is we may lose the house and I would hate to be in the middle of a grow and have to move.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread but instead say thanks for the inspiration. I am not quite the old timer, but not one of the young kids on here either and to see guys like you stand tall and make the best of things is awesome.

Again thank you so much.

13. Pleased to meet you, OldManZombie! No need to apologize for a hijack. If I'm not mistaken, "hijack" refers to taking something against the owner's wishes. However, you have my express consent to unload here whenever you feel the need. All I ask is for any poster to my threads to be treated with respect. I don't care about myself so much since I'm tough and can handle it but won't let it happen to any guests and that includes you. So feel free to say what you need to say here without fear. :wave:

I can say very truthfully that I can feel your pain. Not to get into competing sob stories here but I've been pretty lucky to have wound up in as good a shape as I have but I got toughened up early but that doesn't really make it easier. In the 50's and early 60's there were no social programs other than surplus commodities giveaways from the government. My dad died when I was 12 at age 72, my mom 5 years later when I was 12 and she was 53. I was an only child with no real family, no money, no anything except a $111 monthly SSA survivor benefit. There was actually a big family but I wasn't included because I was an "off the books" adoption and treated like the red-headed step child. Death had been all around me all my life with all those relatives, grannies and granpas dropping like flies all around me. I was so used to death that I was planning to become an undertaker at college, majoring in mortuary science. The back story on that some other time, but suffice it to say, I saw the light just in time.

All of that, and there's a book full of other stuff that I try not to dwell on. I'm old enough and experienced enough and enlightened to realize that while something may seem to be the end of the world at that time, it can definitely lead to a glorious new horizon that makes the previous life seem like crap. I know. It sounds like you've got your pity session out of the way and that's not a knock. We all have to go through it and it's a necessary part of healing. Those that succeed realize when that time is over and it's now time to do for yourself because no one will do it for you. Those that fail and can't get past the pity party go on to be miserable human beings who make everyone around them even more miserable. It definitely sounds like you're ready for some sunshine.

While I'm still pretty new to this grow stuff with all my marijuana experience being in the action/adventure realm. Never in one place long enough to grow. And besides, they did a great job in Columbia, Thailand, Acapulco and other tropical domains so I never felt the overpowering urge to have to grow my own. That changed, obviously, and now I want to grow my own. Can't afford to buy the damn stuff, especially now that I know what all I can do with it other than smoking. So this is ground floor stuff for me. I've grown, bagseed like you but that bagseed was Columbian Gold and Thai but never hung around for the good part. Too much to see, too much to do, not enough time.

So if you want to hang out here, you're welcome. Maybe we can figure out how to get you stealthy with household stuff you have now and not a heavy electric bill. I have some pictures I'm trying to work in of all the little ways that I use to maximize my assets. Because of physical restraints, I can't bend or lift or any of the ordinary garden activities and have had to figure out ways that I could access cords and keep them from falling on the floor and hanging your cfl's from available space. And because finances are in dire straights, it all had to be done with stuff on hand or a buck or less.

I'm glad you can see the light. Sometimes that tunnel can be a long, cold road but when you spot that light at the end, it can be such a relief, I tell you. Sorry I went on a bit, but words are one of the few things that still flow freely through my being. And this is a topic I could go on for hours about. I'm sure no one here, including myself want that to happen, so I'll just say again: Welcome, OldManZombie, and come again soon. And if you want to get a load off, I've got a couple of shoulders you can use. :D

14. Thanks for the great post. I really enjoy a lot of the people here and look foreward to being a part of the community.

I hope that I didn't come off sounding like I needed a pity party. That was not my intention, but sometimes I get long winded. I have it better than many, and often take it for granted.

On the grow front, my main concern is my children. I have slowly started the dialogue about the benefits oh mmj, on the other hand young teens are not exactly discreet. I can just see my 13 year old saying yeah my dad grows weed. LOL. The indoctrination of the DARE program has my 11 year old think that when I have on occasional beer that I have became an alcoholic. Having said that I would rather them be at that end of the spectrum instead of dropping acid and other things like I did at 15.

I am thinking a microgrow in either an old dresser or worst case a CPU, have all that laying around. Just trying to figure out which way to go and do it right the first time. So open to any opinions, I learned a long time ago I know very little and the older I get the less I know.

And in return if you ever need anything, not sure what I could do but willing to offer.

15. Well, lucky for everyone, I had another truly inspirational platitude all typed up and ready to go and either me or my computer hiccuped. I'd like to blame in on the late night. But it seems to happen a lot late at night. Stoned, I guess.

I just wanted to let you know that you weren't coming off as needing a pity party. To me that's more a reference to a personal demon that we conjure around ourselves, often without others knowing. I was just at one of those parties in my own head a few months ago when things looked really bleak. The GC community is what brought me out of it and gave me a focus. Maybe we can get that for you, too.

Having kids can make it rough, especially since DARE has brainwashed so many of that generation. When those programs first started, there were all kinds of stories about kids turning in their own parents. That's a subject that you have to be careful with and I don't envy you. When my dad died, I swore an oath that I would never have children so that they wouldn't ever experience the heartache that I did. I kept that oath, leading to a life of loneliness over some silly notion I had as a kid. Those impressions are important and I really envy my friends with children the opportunity to teach the lessons of life to a new generation.

But, in all sincerity, I'm pleased as punch that I don't have to worry about raising 3 adolescent daughters. Talk about getting gray hair. I like the dresser idea and can think of a number of ways to make it a great stealth grow chamber. I have been a master handyman and a professional rigger and can rig up just about anything with whats available. Kind of like a psychedelic McGyver. I've already written my thoughts on the other lost post so I won't go into it here again. If you want some ideas for how to work it without a lot of expense, we can do that here or pm and if it works out, a guide for others.

Anyway, OLZ (I have a hard time calling anyone so young "OldMan" and you're certainly not a zombie anymore)...anyway....anyway, I guess I'm too stoned to follow the next train into the station.

Stay in touch, seriously. You're not alone. :poke:

16. Haha, I slowly starting figuring that out -- and openly admitting it -- within maybe the past 10 years (I'm pushing 63).

Posting on this forum, discussing life's issues with kids two generations younger than me is pretty frustrating. They have no perspective. All they know about life is what happened within the past 5-10 years -- yet they think they have it all figured out.

Sometimes I tell young people the exact same thing you did above, although when I was young I thought I knew everything too -- so I generally give the kids a pass. Someday, after I'm gone, they will figure out how little they know and how much there is to learn. (I'm sure you've heard the old story about how dumb your dad was when you were 15, but he got smarter by the time you were 20, and by the time you hit 30 he was really smart.)

I came up with an idea, mostly tongue-in-cheek, some years ago that goes like this: You will never figure life out until you draw your last breath. At that point everything will become crystal-clear -- but of course it will be too late to act on it at that point.

[​IMG]

17. Aha! It's not me after all. Another post is missing on this thread. I had added some pictures of the seedlings and it's all gone. No indication that I was here at all. So, time to do it again. After I finish my morning joint.l:smoking:

18. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. :yay:I have amber trichomes!!!!

I was gone all day yesterday, left before lights on and back right after lights off, so I didn't get to see them all day. When I did get home, I could only open the door far enough to see how to water them and hopefully the photoperiod won't be screwed up by it.

This morning when I check on them, everything had turned colors. The hairs are a lovely gold and red and the buds have filled out even more. After looking at them today, I'm raising my final weight expectations from a half ounce to a full ounce just on the increase in density the last couple of days. I have 6 branches with dense buds all the way down, with smaller popcorn down low. I have now replaced my halogens with cfl's and have one hanging low to start ripening the lower bud and I steadily rotate them past that one throughout the day. I'll be removing some of the lower popcorn now to promote even more density in the main colas. I've started smoking those little buds and they definitely carry the classic Tangerine Dream effects that I remember.

I can't find my microscope so I'm using a magnifying glass with a smaller higher mag area and I haven't been able to see the trics on the hairs, although the leaf I can see well. Today I saw a sea of faint amber spread across a field of tricomes. I may not be able to see the individual trics but that sea of color is quite delightful to behold.

Today was the last day of feeding and tomorrow the last of the molasses. From this point forward I'll just be giving it water, with a tentative harvest date of Feb 28th. Since I use soil and not a lot of synthetic nutrients, I'm not going to a full flush. Also I don't have the physical ability to take my pot into the sink or tub to run 10 gallons of water through them. And, I don't want them to get that sudden shock even though it's supposed to freak out the plants and make them produce more resin but I've always thought that if that shock was spread out over a longer period, the plant will respond with a longer period of increased productivity. Can't prove it but since I have some food sticks in the soil I can't dig up, it's a moot point.

I'll have those nursery seedling pictures up, again, shortly. :)

20. I didn't know you could add those other gifs. I've been getting bored with the GC smilies so now I know what to do. Thanks, Fizz.