Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Sublingual Coconut oil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by pezlet, Jan 19, 2013.

1. I make weed infused coconut oil every time when I want to make edibles. Does anyone know if I can let this sit under my tongue or something instead of eating it? I had a ridiculously small amount leftover on a butter knife and licked it off and let it sit in my mouth... I feel slightly high, but I also had a few hits of an e-cig about 30 minutes ago and I never smoke, ever, so it's hard for me to know what to expect.
    I had so little of the oil, I feel like it has to be a placebo, but it got me curious anyway.
    Regardless, I feel pretty good right now hahah...

2. I've used it sublingually with good results. It came on pretty quick from that then from ingesting after swallowing. Should work.

3. Could you post your process for making the infused coconut oil?
    I am doing this today and found my attempt last night didn't really have an effect (eaten raw over lemon sorbet ice cream).
    I hope my problem was not decarb'ing. One moth old, 1g. dry but not crumbly blackberry kush which has been seal in vacuum'd gas jar (THANKS BUDVAC.COM!!! Expensive but easy).

Took a prylex glass measuring jar. Put 1g that had been ground up.
    Covered with about doube the oil that would cover the weed.
    Wrapped in tin foil and baked in preheated 350f oven for 30 minutes.
    Let cool for 15 minutes and strained it.
    Used the oil on the lemon sorbet and it solidified.
    After 1.5 hours I had some effect but it was minor and maybe a two beer experience for 30 minutes. Then done.
    Shame to waste.

Want to try making brownies today and want to decarb. Hoping I don't need an oven bag and can just use tin foil over a baking sheet?

Anyways, if you have a recipe for the oil I would be very greatful!
    Have a relax'd weekend...LOL

4. Hey man! My tutorial is in my signature, but here's a link: http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...oven-tutorial-single-serving-coconut-oil.html

So... I took a look at your process, and I've got a few comments to make.
    Firstly, you don't need that much oil. You truly only need enough to cover the weed and maybe a LITTLE more so you can stir it a bit while you're cooking.
    I highly recommend coconut oil over other oil types, but I'll refer you to BK's stickies if you're curious about the details behind that.

350 is very hot. If you did that with coconut oil, it would start smoking if it actually reached that temperature. I've experimented a lot with other extraction mediums though like peanut butter and olive oil, and regardless of what you use, I've had much better luck with lower temperatures for more time. I like to keep it between 220F and 250F, never more. I also leave it in the oven for about 45 minutes-1 hour.
    You absolutely need to decarb, if you didn't do that. That will be the difference between success and failure, there's absolutely no way around that.
    BK recommends ~20 minutes on 220, and she's considered our edible goddess. Personally, I don't grind my weed before decarbing, I grind it after. So with that said, I usually give it a little more time... closer to 30 minutes total, leaving the weed in the oven while it's preheating (because there's no reason not to).

To answer your question directly, you can absolutely use a baking sheet with tin foil. Honestly, I don't even cover my herb throughout any of the process, although BKS insists that it does make a difference.

Let me know if you need anything else, good luck.

5. #5 r0b2021, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
    Thanks for the tips!

Before I read your reply I put 10g in the oven at 220f on a prylex 9x13 dish for 20 min.
    Ground up first and no tin foil or cover. Almost did it different and will explain below as it was an interesting find.
    So now I will let it cool down and then use your recipe roughly for brownie (w/mix).

Adding the 10g to 2/3rd cup coconut oil (which is what the brownie mix wants) in a prylex measuring cup. elted the coconut oil already so I can measure ok there.
    I will try your timing of 1.5 hours at 220f stirring every 20min.
    I am surprised we don't want to seal/cover the top tbh.
    After that I'll cool it and strain.
    Then it's brownie time! I figure it will make 10 good sized brownies so about 1g each.
    I don't know that I'll need the whole peice but I do about 1-2g on a weekend day so we'll just have to see how it goes.

Bottom line is I hope they taste better than the canna-butter cookie I made a while ago!
    We really need a retail option for this and I am so jealous of the states that can have that!

Thanks for the input and fast respose,

6. I forgot to post the interesting decarb method I found elsewhere:
    Extraction of pharmaceutically active components from plant materials - GW Pharma Limited

The interesting part was the two step method essentially going:
    Pylex dish, gound up material spread around.
    Preheat oven 220f and then put in the dish, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
    Next turn up the temp to 250f for 60 minutes.

Here is the quoted section since it is a long document and hard to read in some places if you aren't a scientist, which I am not...LOL

Water is then additionally removed, preferably by a stepwise reduction of the vacuum in stages to about 50 mbar.

The decarboxylation step may be carried out prior to or after extraction with liquid CO2.

In a preferred embodiment the decarboxylation step is carried out prior to extraction with liquid CO2 and is conducted by heating the plant material to temperatures and for times which ensure at least 95% conversion of the acid cannabinoids from the acid form to their neutral form whilst ensuring thermal degradation of THC to CBN is less than 10%.

Decarboxylation of cannabinoid acids is a function of time and temperature, thus at higher temperatures a shorter period of time will be taken for complete decarboxylation of a given amount of cannabinoid acid. In selecting appropriate conditions for decarboxylation consideration must, however, be given to minimising thermal degradation of the desirable, pharmacological cannabinoids into undesirable degradation products, particularly thermal degradation of THC to cannabinol (CBN).

Preferably, decarboxylation is carried out in a multi-step heating process in which the plant material is:
    •i) heated to a first temperature for a first (relatively short) time period to evaporate off retained water and allow for uniform heating of the plant material; and
    •ii) the temperature is increased to a second temperature for a second time period (typically longer than the first time period) until at least 95% conversion of the acid cannabinoids to their neutral form has occurred.

Preferably the first step is conducted at a temperature in the range of 100 C. to 110 C. for 10–20 minutes. More preferably the first temperature is about 105 C. and the first time period is about 15 minutes.

If the plant material is derived from cannabis plants having a high CBD content (defined as >90% CBD as a percentage of total cannabinoid content), the second temperature is preferably in the range from 115 C. to 125 C., preferably about 120 C. and the second time period is in the range from 45 to 75 minutes, preferably about 60 minutes. More preferably the second temperature is in the range from 135 C. to 145 C., preferably 140 C. and the second time period is in the range from 15 to 45 minutes, preferably about 30 minutes. In another embodiment, most preferred for a mass of plant material greater than 4 kg, the second temperature is in the range from 140 C. to 150 C., preferably 145 C. and the second time period is in the range from 55–90 minutes. The latter conditions are preferred for processing amounts of, for example, 4–6 kg of starting plant material and the exact figures, particularly time, may vary slightly with increased mass.

If the plant material is derived from cannabis plants having a high THC content (defined as >90% THC as a percentage of total cannabinoid content), the second temperature is preferably in the range of 115 C. to 125 C., typically 120 C., and the second time period is preferably in the range of 45 minutes to 75 minutes, typically about 60 minutes. More preferably the second temperature is in the range of 100 C. to 110 C., typically 105 C., and the second time period is in the range of 60 to 120 minutes. In another embodiment, most preferred for a mass of plant material greater than 4 kg, the second temperature is in the range of 140 C. to 150 C., preferably 145 C., and the second time period is in the range of 45 to 55 minutes.

Most preferably the decarboxylation step is conducted at temperatures and for times which ensure at least 97% conversion of the acid cannabinoids to their neutral form, whilst ensuring thermal degradation of THC to CBN is less than 5%.

Standard conditions for cannabinoid assays, and methods of calculating cannabinoid content (as %) are given in the accompanying Examples.

The plant material used as the starting material for the extraction process is preferably ground, milled or otherwise processed to give a particle size of less than 2 mm, but preferably greater than 1 mm. Such treatment generally results in improved extraction of cannabinoids from the plant material, as packaging density is improved.

7. Haven't tried this. But I want to try. How long before the effect fades?

8. Sublingual tinctures in general don't last as long as ingested. For me, that's usually a 2-3 hour peak for the sublingual whereas ingested effects last me a good 4-6 hours. However, if you use coconut oil sublingually, much of it will be swallowed and enter your system that way, also. Because the oil is much more viscous than glycerin or alcohol, there's no way to get all the thc absorbed before you have to swallow so you'll get a long lasting effect.

And if you've never tried enhanced coconut oil, I highly recommend it. I recently made a fresh batch of it and this morning used the new batch in my coffee. A half hour later now and I'm soaring. I use a cap at night to replace Ambien and get a better night sleep because it also nullifies my pain. Coconut oil is wonderful and I use more of it than I smoke and that's saying something. :D

9. Sammy, what do you mean by "enhanced" coconut oil?

10. Cannabis coconut oil.:D

11. Ha, ok, that's what I was thinking but wasn't quite sure.

Thanks old-timer. :smoking:

12. Thanks a lot for the information sammy. Now I'm more excited about the coconut oil. :)

13. #15 nevrmindedness, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
    Now that you bumped it, i'm actually very interested in the 2-phase decarboxylation method outlined above...
    I know i'm not the only one on gc recently with decarb questions. Does the 2-phase work better? Anyone???
    This thread...is ALIVE!!

14. I place the coconut oil in "00" capsules.

15. Bueller?