Dr. Mengle's JJ Style Grow with Southern Star Seeds

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Dr M, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Gd day to all..Finished the cycle by doing the harvest, clean up, and trnsfr..it all went quik and efficently..the yeild is going to be light..i'm betting no more than 32 grms..max..one more cab to go end of the mo..that one looks like it'll be a bit better..it all adds up..however it's gettin late early so i gotta keep the mo goin..

Soil plnts and seedlings are not doing well..they're lookin burned again but not as much as last time..imo it's either the ionizer or the soil is too hot..plnts furthest from the ionizer don't look as bad as the ones closest..makin me suspect the ionizer so i have stopped using it out there for now..the male in the tank instead of being chopped will be tp'd into the soil and put under  the el cheapo led by itsself..if it burns up it's the soil if it does well it's the ionizer..of course it could be a combo of both but too soon to make any conclusions..nd to get this figured out soon..hopeful this experimental tp will not burn up..they start off well and then ovrnite they look like crap..

I've decided i'm going to use walmart bags in the sally alley this yr..make a shelving systm in there and use every available inch of space..gonna be simple and efficent design..This Old Hse new build this season got me thinkin..framing..hmmm? flush mounting brackets? trip to lowes is in order..

The last plnt in the ebb n flo is a fem ddestined for chmbr 2..i'm going to give her a bigger bskt and then do some finnin and more LST in prep for her trnsfr in two wks..chmbr 3 has been sittin empty in the hydro configuration for wks..saving pwr with it not in operation but i nd to not run a veg cycle in cab 2 with nuthin in cab 3 or it makes a lite leak problem..cabs can be on staggered cycle but lighting hrs must match..
    harvest morn-seedling burn from ionizer 010.JPG harvest morn-seedling burn from ionizer 012.JPG harvest morn-seedling burn from ionizer 003.JPG harvest morn-seedling burn from ionizer 006.JPG clean up finished 001.JPG clean up finished 005.JPG clean up finished 007.JPG moving day 002.JPG moving day 003.JPG

2. Update: the harvested bud went into papr bg to slow the dry..it'll go in jars tomorrow..the male plnt got tp'd into soil to chk if it's too hot to be used right now or if the ionizer has caused problems..i'm going to drp another 10 seeds and start over with basic soil to tp into..it's gettin late early..need to buckle dwn..put in a amazon order with the refund from the chiller..2 cordless temp monitors,rapid start root accelerator, usb mini fan..the 18'' fan for the apt started clicking this morn intermittingly ..time to take it dwn clean and adjust the angle of rotation..i go thru one about every three yrs as they run continuously..i have 4 ocillating fans and 3 non ocillating plus two inlines..they keep things tolerable along with the a/c that i'm using sparingly..more to filter the air than cool it ffrom the lndry stench..ystrday was bad had about 5 stinkos from 9:30 am to 8pm..left ionizer on and went out for an hr an got a hair cut..time i got bk the odor was gone but in the aftrnoon they just kept comin..everyone using GAIN!! can't use the ionizer in the hallway cause it may be burnin the plnts up..hasn't been determined yet..i was forced to leave the dwnstairs dr propped open..when it's bad like that i wonder how much longer i can stay here..a quik look at apts for rent on CL reminds me how good i have it and i settle dwn..i do look often lately..however for now i gotta stay with the evil i know..it's name is frree power! buds to the bag 002.JPG male tp'd into test soil 001.JPG

3. Ya that free power is a hard one to beat Doc.. With So Cal Edison at 29 cents a KW in the top tier last time I looked free power is no joke

4. Update to the update:Got my gear today just in time..all my fans are crapping out..threw one out and replaced the pair in cab 1..took my 18'' apart and cleaned it..it's on borrowed time as the swivel/rotating housing has a crack in it big time ffrom fatigue..i duct taped it for now and it's wrkng well..it was filthy caked with dust..i cleaned it just 4 mos ago! all my fans get that way very quickly due to proximity to the frwy..my inlines are probally the same cause i don't use filters
    Not seeing any burnin on the tp'd male from the soil and it's had no ionizer contact..the hall plnts seem to be greening up since i stopped using the ionizer out there and am wtrng sparingly however they'll all probally be stunted..i already put plan B into action by starting more seeds to germ this morn..tomorrow i do my lowes run for brackets and soil..thinking i'm going to blend some std soil with my soil to use for starts and keep a buket of it mixed and ready for when i nd it..
    Today on the way to my Dr's appt i saw two jaywalkers get run dwn hard! seenin them get run dwn didn't disturb me but my lack of compassion surprised me..i thought '' trimming and educating the herd'' as i drove away..went past the spot on the way home..musta been bloody as absorb all had been spread on the asphalt..when i did delivery i lived in fear of idiot jaywalkers doing that ..first thing they do is drug test you and you are fucked totally..ya trim the herd..the one got 7's for distance 0 for the landing..the other went under the car and wasn't moving..i'll chk the news tonite aftr Sherlock Holmes..got me in the mood to watch the nu MAD MAX..again..got my 4 star thumbs up rating btw the harvest was 46 grms dry seedling experiment 003.JPG seedling experiment 002.JPG seedling experiment 008.JPG nu fans 001.JPG nu fans 002.JPG

Update to the update:Got my gear today just in time..all my fans are crapping out..threw one out and replaced the pair in cab 1..took my 18'' apart and cleaned it..it's on borrowed time as the swivel/rotating housing has a crack in it big time ffrom fatigue..i duct taped it for now and it's wrkng well..it was filthy caked with dust..i cleaned it just 4 mos ago! all my fans get that way very quickly due to proximity to the frwy..my inlines are probally the same cause i don't use filters
    Not seeing any burnin on the tp'd male from the soil and it's had no ionizer contact..the hall plnts seem to be greening up since i stopped using the ionizer out there and am wtrng sparingly however they'll all probally be stunted..i already put plan B into action by starting more seeds to germ this morn..tomorrow i do my lowes run for brackets and soil..thinking i'm going to blend some std soil with my soil to use for starts and keep a buket of it mixed and ready for when i nd it..
    Today on the way to my Dr's appt i saw two jaywalkers get run dwn hard! seenin them get run dwn didn't disturb me but my lack of compassion surprised me..i thought '' trimming and educating the herd'' as i drove away..went past the spot on the way home..musta been bloody as absorb all had been spread on the asphalt..when i did delivery i lived in fear of idiot jaywalkers doing that ..first thing they do is drug test you and you are fucked totally..ya trim the herd..the one got 7's for distance 0 for the landing..the other went under the car and wasn't moving..i'll chk the news tonite aftr Sherlock Holmes..got me in the mood to watch the nu MAD MAX..again..got my 4 star thumbs up rating btw the harvest was 46 grms dry seedling experiment 003.JPG seedling experiment 002.JPG seedling experiment 008.JPG nu fans 001.JPG nu fans 002.JPG

Update to the update:Got my gear today just in time..all my fans are crapping out..threw one out and replaced the pair in cab 1..took my 18'' apart and cleaned it..it's on borrowed time as the swivel/rotating housing has a crack in it big time ffrom fatigue..i duct taped it for now and it's wrkng well..it was filthy caked with dust..i cleaned it just 4 mos ago! all my fans get that way very quickly due to proximity to the frwy..my inlines are probally the same cause i don't use filters

5. Gd' day to all..It's rainy today here and my outdr yrd is luvin it..me too i haven't had to wtr for some time..cleaned my tank did frsh nutes finned and LST'd ..now i gotta see if she'll take to it cause i been messin stuff up lately..like with the ionizer..the male in the soil so far is doing well acutally turning from limeish to green..the seedlings in the hall are looking better too..i think i might be able to use 2-3..i did drp more seeds and will chk them on sun for germ..think the soil is probally good so i will try again..this time keep them under led and time match till they are teens..bought a new 3 gal bucket to wrk with ..couldn't resist the price or the color..$4.99
    ebb n flo cleaned and LST'd 001.JPG ebb n flo cleaned and LST'd 011.JPG ebb n flo cleaned and LST'd 004.JPG ebb n flo cleaned and LST'd 009.JPG ebb n flo cleaned and LST'd 008.JPG ebb n flo cleaned and LST'd 012.JPG

6. What a difference a day makes! plus a little root acelerator day aftr root acelerator 002.JPG day aftr root acelerator 003.JPG day aftr root acelerator 004.JPG day aftr root acelerator 006.JPG day aftr root acelerator 007.JPG day aftr root acelerator 011.JPG

7. Gd ' evening all..Memorial day winding dwn..some gave a little and some gave all..thank you for your service! movin on..i think the gardens are fully back on track..weird how stuff happened but it all wrked out and much was learned that can be passed on..the ionizer definitely burned the plnts up..exsasperated by overwrtd soil with not enough drainage..this caused me to get on the wrng trk thinking all the soil was anerobic and remix and amend with much more perilite and some lime..also vent my storage buckets..both very good things..they're all comin back strong..the seedlings are grwin real fast but the two clones will be small..i can wrk with that easily
    Set out date is June 1 and the Sally Alley is ready..the shelf i got at the garage sales couple wks bk fits perfect..a tray i've had from a hydro garden 25 yrs ago and been saving finally has a use..the cross bar was already on the fence and i found the other in the boiler rm..just had to screw it on..done! just nd to paint them..heard from the lndldy today and the roofers will be out to do the roof on wed..not the 3M's ! good timing so now no one will see the garden with anything in it..nxt the inside ceiling in the corner will have to done..july makes one yr since the 3M's said they would return in a wk to complete the job..nxt on the repairs are a new carpet and kitchenette flr idk when..measurements and a estimate were made in 2014..promises made in 2012..got nu fridge in 2013 cause the ceiling leak caused mold in it..ceiling leaked since 2008..got nu stove and hood fan in 2013..finally got ADA approved seat 2014..things take time around here but the rent is low.

The batch of 10 seeds i drp'd only one popped..but it exploded! 24hrs and the first leafs are out..just like the super plnts i look for..it'll go in soil to see what it can do with no ionizer and good soil from the start..when the other go in the SA it'll go in the hall taking their place..star pupil..

I 've been preparing cab 2 for sun harvest by stripping fan leaves off..lots of pot in layers is gonna make it tricky so it helps..after the harvest i'm shutting cab 2 dwn till i have something worthy..i'll be firing up cab 3 using the 48x3w that the plnt in ebb n flo is under..just pop the pair in there..i may buy another 48x3w by the end of summer..cab 1 hit its stride and the colas are grwning evenly with 8 seperate tops..i'm going veg till june 1 and then flwr..cab 3 i'll start veg officially jjune 1..i took a couple of cllones and put them in my cloner..2 definitely aren't going to make it theres a chance for the other two..just have to see..
    sa shelf 001.JPG sa shelf 003.JPG sa shelf 003.JPG sa shelf 009.JPG sa shelf 006.JPG sa shelf 007.JPG sa shelf 012.JPG sa shelf 013.JPG sa shelf 014.JPG

8. Update: The slight def cab 1 had is gone and the plnts are radiant..that def was happening in the ebb n flo tank so hooked up cab 3 and put the plnt in..also she hated the nu shoes and the start of a little root funkola from being squeezed uo in net bskt was evident..i rinsed her in pool shk and got the roots clean..i used the soup she was in for the new res..now the roots are gettin cool temps and lots of air..no screen gonna LST this one..hooked up the remote temp guage too..just have to see..cab 2 will be left vacant aftr sun harvest..probally until i have a clone worthy of using the pwr plus if i use it i'll need to get a 6'' inline to deal with summer temps..easier and cheaper to run a smaller lite..lotta possibilities to explore if the cuts root in the clloner cab 3 open for biz 001.JPG cab 3 open for biz 002.JPG sa shelf 004.JPG

9. Gd' evening to all..harvest day tomorrow!! i've been doing the darkness cycle prior to harvest so it'll be interesting..lots of small hrd nugs in layers..i stripped off lotta yellowing leaves before strng the dark cycle..i expect it to go quickly no more than two hrs..Sally Alley is all assembled and ready to go..just nd to spray RAID in there early tomorrow morn to get the space ready for the plnts going in on mon morn..

The indr is going unusually well..mon i will start flwr in cab 1..the plnt in cab 3 i'm going to put in cab 2 aftter harvest clean up..the super seedling will take it's place in cab 3..i'm thinking that by the 15th cab 3 will have caught up with cab 2 and i'll flwr both at the same time..gettin jiggy with the timing..

The roofers came and put a new roof on..they forgot a sheet of plywood behind..exactly what i need..wasn't lookin for it but i most certainly can and will use it..thinkin i'm going to make the two chmbrs under my loft bed into just one..make over for leds not how it is now for hid with exhaust and intakes in the wrong place..wall mounted ocilating fans instead of clip on ocilating..and no light leaks to hunt dwn..i gotta bunch of improvements i'm thinkin of..nuthin pricy..all because of the plywood being available..i'm gathering up bits and pieces as i see them..another mans PIA is gold to me..i'll get to wrk on it during the summer shut dwn around mid Aug..if i can coordinate getting the carpet and kitchenette floor in at that time it would be perfect..take it completely apart and reassemble with the upgrades..stain the bed frame..repaint the interior walls white and the exterior gray..and two inspection ports..all my yrs of practical research are over time to apply what i've learned
    more root grwth 002.JPG more root grwth 003.JPG more root grwth 004.JPG more root grwth 005.JPG sally alley 002.JPG 96x48 wood sheet 003.JPG

10. Update:Got my harvest done this morn and tonite i'll do clean up..nice quik and clean,,the bud is drying in colanders for now tomorrow afternoon it'll go into paper bags for couple days..after clean up i'll trnsfr the plnts to veg for 15-30 days..sprayed the SA this morn with RAID..tomorrow morn i'll fill the  tray with the window plnts add perilite and out they go..it's been a little cooler at nite than i prefer but i'll roll with it..probally have to tp something in around 8-10 days judging by the grwth rate of the indr HAZKS..they seem to be heavy feeders in hydro so i'm sure they're gonna luv the mix..thumbs are crossed
    more harvest 003.JPG more harvest 004.JPG more harvest 006.JPG more harvest 001.JPG harvest day 5-31-15 003.JPG harvest day 5-31-15 008.JPG

11. Looking good Doc.. An evening at the Hollywood Bowl with Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga..

[​IMG]

12. Gd Morn to all..Woody thats one big crowd!! i have a aversion to crowds myself..no problem being in frnt a crowd being behind my kit all those yrs..the hall plnts all went into the SA this morn ..they were well wtrd and sprayed with GC..forgot the DE but will take care of that on wed when i look in on them..once i see the grwth rate i'll lower the self and do tp's to smarties and then to sip's..cab 2 was cleaned up and the plnt frm 3 trnsfrd in and the seedling took it's place..cab 1 was started into flwr this morn..the male HAZKS is in the hallway window don't know what i'm gonna do with it yet but it's a really nice plnt ..

13. Update:Today was exciting! the long awaited chk from the class action lawsuit arrived after a 5 yr wait..$1,200 sorta anticlimatic but better than poke in the eye..bastids 1099'd me and said it was for a ''alledged'' payment mistake..called the mechanic and discussed the repairs..it's going to be very expensive because the pump has to be sent out and rebuilt calibrated...the whole deal..if the housing is past a certain pt they have to get a new one..thats $400 right there! i put the chk in the drawer and i'll wait till i have another $500..it may not cost $1,700 but i wanna be prepared..if it doesn't i'll use the surplus to maybe get nu tires..the car is priority #1 after that there's a very sweet 6''S&P silent series i'd like for my future up grade..
    Went out early this morn to chk the sally alley..pulled one wk seedling ..too much too soon..the others looked good but i nd to upgrade the shelving..found a wood bracket in scraps that i think will work nicely..soon as i saw it i knew it was perfect..better than what i had been planning..weird again how that wrk'd out..like with the plywood left behind all ready measured and lined..pot gods been nice to me lately..

Did my weigh out and jarring of the harvest..86 grms..3oz..not bad! i'll smoke it and save money for the car..i'll be sick of this bud and longing for something different but i'm determined to only smoke my bud till the car is fixed..happy to have a full larder again
    harvest weigh out 86 grms 001.JPG harvest weigh out 86 grms 002.JPG harvest weigh out 86 grms 003.JPG harvest weigh out 86 grms 006.JPG harvest weigh out 86 grms 007.JPG harvest weigh out 86 grms 008.JPG harvest weigh out 86 grms 009.JPG harvest weigh out 86 grms 010.JPG

14. Hey Doc, happy almost-Summer & congrats on the harvest. Myself, been laying low through the winter getting my strains re-established. So far a ChemDawg fem from Humboldt Seeds is my winner, along with Sannie's Anesthesia (a regular strain but got 8 out of 10 girls and a couple males for seed making)[​IMG]   The ChemDawg was tough, ordered 5 fem's & lost 4 to stem rot along with 4 of 5 C-99 fem's from G-13 Labs and EVERY FRICKING ONE - ALL 10 - of my C-99-BX-1from Mosca Seeds. The one C-99 fem that made it is great smoke but shit yield... got to try the Mosca Seeds again to see if I can get a better mother.
    But ChemDawg and Anesthesia are both exceptional yielders & way-top shelf smoke, keeps me Orc-faced on the weekends[​IMG]

Hoping you can help me out - way back, a year or more ago, you were tuning your home built "Koolman" cooler and were going to post some pic's. But I lost track and never saw the pic's. Did you get those posted & if so, do you remember when so I can run them down?
    I've set up an Ebb 'n Gro under my 400 in honor of our old buddy Jakester; the yield is very good but when I took down my last grow I thought the roots were healthy could carry a bit more mass. Only possibility I see is needing to bring the nute temp down a bit. Tell me what you remember, if that worked & if you're still happy with it?

Appreciate it old friend, catch you later.

P.S. - can't remember if I told you, think I did... the pancake adapters you recommended worked kick-ass for my little 2X2 party tent with the 250W cooltube. Diagonal fit is perfect, wouldn't have worked without those adapters. Sweet idea  & thanks again[​IMG] I've run three rounds of auto's through it & works great.  Got my 4th round in bloom, a Kalishnikova Auto, expecting good things from her stinky ass too.

15. Olde Skool i'll take some nu pics of the rig for you..give me a cycle and i'll post them..systm wrks really nice and i've done improvements

16. Heres how i made my K-Man Kooler..this is the base el cheapo model to start..you nd a cheapo coleman kooler,a small submersible pump,20' of air hse,couple of inline connectors 1/4'',a on/off switch, a small eraser off a pencil, couple of 1 liter bottles..basically you drill a hole in the top of the cooler for pwr cord for the pump and hose lines..one of the fittings that come with the pump has a 1/4'' nipple take off..you plug main output with the eraser and hook the hose onto the nipple..run that to your res and make a coil with 3-5' and place it in your res and then run it bk to the cooler...in your cooler you want to have couple of frozen 1 liter bottles on their side..put enough wtr to cover the pump no more..adding the bottles will make the wtr rise so you only nd 1/2 gal..more than that youlose the effective ness..the on/off switch goes on the pump outdr plnts-k-man kooler 005.JPG outdr plnts-k-man kooler 007.JPG outdr plnts-k-man kooler 011.JPG outdr plnts-k-man kooler 016.JPG outdr plnts-k-man kooler 017.JPG outdr plnts-k-man kooler 018.JPG

Attached Files:

17. That was the prototype and i learned much from the problems i had with it..first plugging the output and using the nipple wrks but it's not reliable at all..eventually the plug will fail..i replaced it with irrigation pwr head that screws right into the pump..very efficent..using clear air hose is convinient but it doesn't cean well and it can get nasty looking..using irrigation hse wrks best ..soak it in boiling wtr couple mins it gets pliable and you can wrk with it..spend the extra cash and get a lighted on/off switch makes it easy to tell if the systm is on..get a temp guage for the ice chest and another for the res..generally if the chest is within 10 degrees of the res its time to change the frozen btls..i use these containers aloe vera juice comes in..i like the handles and they're modular..two lasts depending on ambients and how many res aprox 8-24hrs sometimes 30hrs..i found a thermostat unit used for brewing beer wrks great for hydro..new it's around $120 used about $70..the probe goes in the res and is connected to the pump 0n/off switch thru the unit brain..you can set a differential on the temp set it for 70 with 1 degree dif..it turns on at 70 and off at 69 this make the cooling last ffrom the frzn btls..with manual switch you forget and the temp gets dwn in the 40's..oops! btw i use the same stuff that keeps my res clean..pool shock..in the k-man kooler..tempguages are a must and i've found most are crap..you gotta figure how accurate they are  and then wrk with it..my cordless guages are accurate for air but 4 degrees off for the propes..and then i run three res with just the one kooler probe unit for all..most important thing is when you chng btls you gotta let it sit 20-30 min before you switch on bring temp dwn to 30's first upgraded k-man kooler 001.JPG upgraded k-man kooler 002.JPG upgraded k-man kooler 003.JPG upgraded k-man kooler 004.JPG upgraded k-man kooler 005.JPG upgraded k-man kooler 006.JPG upgraded k-man kooler 008.JPG upgraded k-man kooler 011.JPG

18.   Set out some beans on a new strain hunt Doc.. Been setting on most of them for months now but didn't want to devote space in the veg shed for them.. The 50 days of good veg left of summer outside should let me veg them big enough to chop good clones from and by then they should start to flower and show sex.. I'll keep them small and stunted during this initial run as I've learned better ways of dealing with seed plants then the mess we had last year with so many accidental pollinations.. Gotta remember to start spraying RHSS-original with the seed making spray stuff.. Since all my breeding attempts didn't turn up a female with her distinct leaf I'll try this route to get some seeds..

[​IMG]

19. Howdy Doc! Been a long while since I checked in. I see you got the assembly line rolling along and fine tweaked! Looking good with them nuggs man!