Dr. Mengle's JJ Style Grow with Southern Star Seeds

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Dr M, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Really nice looking plants Doc! Them girls at LG look really happy.

2. Dums i'm amazed the LG plnts are doing so well..they look better than my last outdr harvest..the site does get good sun..not limited like the SA..of course the bud could be full of bugs at the end but i think my grw ptnr might be rubbin this harvest in my face..thass ok..i get half to smoke

Doc, you've come a long way brother. Nice work. Your garden looks great. SST and organic soil are a whole other level. You'll love it.

@DDD - soemthing I learned recently. Heat pasteurization of coconut water. 90% of all bottled coconut water undergoes heat pasteurization, esentially killing off enzymes. You stil get the benefit of the of the calcium and potassium just not the enzymes. Fresh from asian markets, coconut water powder, and a bottled product "Harmless Harvest" it's usually in the cold section of health food stores (also costco). It's expensive, but not heat pasturized and pink in color. 

4. Ficky Sis thanx..i just keep at it..learnin much as i go along..GC has helped me get it focused..the overnite sucess that took 20yrs!..lol! I put the coconut wtr on my list to chk out next time i'm at my fav asian str..i get all my frz pks, clips, and sundry items there..i also intend to p/u aloe vera juice at walmart ..little pricy but i drink it daily to keep my innards working smoothly when i can afford it..it's beneficial to plnts..the container it comes in is just perfect size with a handle..i use it as a freeze pk in my chiller rig..it's modular and made from really tough plastic..fits my freezer perfect;y

5. #905 BrassNwood, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
    Doc..
      http://buildasoil.com/collections/frontpage/products/1-ounce-of-200x-aloe-vera-powder  This is the one I see recommended most and this is the best price I've found

http://buildasoil.com/products/coconut-water-powder-raw-freeze-dried-organic same place for the coconut water powder..

6. Thanx Woody i'll check that out..

The powdered aloe is my next buy, at least until mine get established. I've been using "lily of the desert" preservative free, but I understand it still has citric acid IIRC.

8. This is all new to me..i wuz going get that potanimus crispus riverweed stuff that G-man uses to great success but couldn't find it in the canals around here..this stuff is a little pricy but i'll try it..better be free shipping at the prices..lol!

9. It's a wish list here still Doc until the wife OKs it.. LOL.. I'm using the bottled coconut water for now but watching the lounge and no till threads that may be heat pasteurized and missing all the enzymes we are after in the 1st place.. I'll let you know how that comes out but it looks like the harmless harvest brand is winning out at the moment of the liquid ones..

BNw - you still will get the nutritional value but just no enzymes, the powder is freeze dried so the enzymes are still viable. IMHO, coconut water nutritional value is a reason to shelve the bottle of cal/mag. If you got an asian market and a 1/2" drill bit your good to go. I also stop the landscapers if they are trimming coconuts, coconuts are green waste to them. I keep a cordless drill close by and drill a few holes in both ends and put it in a quart pyrex to drain.

side note - RHSS incredible work dude!

11. Update: Grw ptnr called and the seeds have arrived..took a wk..i'm down to my last jar but i saved the best for last and it's got the full cure ( for me anyway) going on..so i'm smoking thinking about my next moves..wed is full moon so i'll drp the seeds then..
    The new reflector should be here by then for cab 1..those plnts are doing nice and i hope they explode under the new lite with the proper spectrum...
    The Intel grow lites in cab 2 are going to be returned under the 90 day trial ..i'm just not happy about the coverage..the yeild in that cab is going to be abysmal but the quality probally pretty good..i may scope trics tonite to see where i stand as clones are supposed to take up to 2 wks less time than from seed..that would be fortuitous.
    I paid $484 so with shipping and restock fees i'll probally have around $440 to play with..i'm thinking a 144x3w for cab 2 for $307 and then a special order 48x3w with all white ir diodes..supposed to be like a super CFL and really whip that veg cycle up for seedlings and clones..and thats all that happens in chmbr 3 anyway..i'm really zigging zagging and cornering hard..i may have enough left over to get either the pwdrd aloe or coconut..
    meanwhile outdr got fromunda trimmed off..all are now flwrng todays pics
    weather chngs 001.JPG weather chngs 002.JPG weather chngs 003.JPG weather chngs 004.JPG weather chngs 006.JPG

12. Gd' evening all..Lots going on some good some bad..the good..i got my new lite 96x 3w and the coverage and fit in cab 1 is all i was hoping for..heat is pretty good.. with the window open and cab dr shut it's 80-85..no a/c..it'll get cooler as winter progresses..if i use a/c it drps to around 77-82..the plnts luv it and in only one cycle have grwn 1/2''.. i like that !

The  bad..i saw a web line coming from one of the lites..i was going to go till next wk..cancel that..i pulled the lites immediately..i suspect they were used,infested, and returned ..idk but i'm not screwing around with them..btw intel grow don't pay shipping i have to pay..they say they'll give me full refund..cheap bastids! the plnt is now in a 4 day darkness period and will be harvested sun..i learned haz c doesn't do well at all being scrogged..just bring it in and start over with Blue Thai..lesson learned..
    The car won't start...bad glow plug relay..ordered a new one but dislodged a wire on the mounting clip and for the life of me can't get it on..so got the part and can't install it..worked on it for two days for total of 4 hrs and just can't get it..tomorrow i'll get a kick start and take it to the mechanix..take him 5-10 min..makes me feel helpless..didn't p/u seeds cause i can't get there..
    Outdr plnts are doing well..gc'd them this morn and filled the bases..all are blooming nicely..saw a grasshopper in frnt my door..i killed it with a hammer! and felt better for it..DEATH FROM ABOVE BASTID!
    lites get pulled 005.JPG lites get pulled 002.JPG lites get pulled 006.JPG lites get pulled 008.JPG lites get pulled 009.JPG lites get pulled 010.JPG lites get pulled 012.JPG

13. Gd evening to all..lots got done..The haz c scrog was harvested and dried, then jarred..52 gms..not bad for one plnt..harvested the LG plnts..they turned out pretty good and i'm surprised..i'm colander drying the bud now..good density and smell on it..dropped the Blue thai and this morn put them in rr and baskets under led..this is the first time i'm using led for this stage ..i usually do cfl at this point..hope this is a good move..i'll know within 30 hrs..

The haz c x sks is doing well under the nu led..i've decided to pull the header and put it outboard making rm to center the res under the lite..meanwhile i'm continnuing a flush with r/o till i get motivated to do the upgrades on the plumbing..i'm also going to centralize my kooler systm in anticipation of adding a pelitier chiller so i no longer have to deal with chngng frz pks every 24hrs..multiple koolers to chng in rotation , a  freezer full of frozen btls n frz pks, and having to shop twice a wk cause i've got no rm in the freezer..bad enough i got all my nnutes in the bottom bin..it's a pricy unit..$219 but worth it in the long run.

Sent intel gro lites bk..cost me $27 and it won't get there till tues nxt wk..hope they're prompt with getting the money in my acct as it hurt my food budget..bad..if it takes more than two days aftr they get it i'm going to be upset..i've decided what lites i'll get with my refund..Sara is giving me great price on a 48x3w and a 192x3w..i'll be all topled by the end of the mo..

The car it turned out had a ffried battery..no wtr..it was sold to me as a wtrless battery so i never chkd the level..nu battery with exch and me installing was $54..again out of the food budget..i still nd to get the nu glow plugs installed and that's $100 labor but i'm mobile and can do that nxt mo..

All in all it worked out and there's bud in the larder, the car runs, rent is paid and theres some food in the frig..it's a little tight but the refund will take care of that
    WF harvest 006.JPG WF harvest 018.JPG sprouts to rr 007.JPG WF harvest 002.JPG WF harvest 014.JPG WF harvest 015.JPG WF harvest 016.JPG

Attached Files:

14. Gd ' evenin to all..Wrapping up a rather strange week..Intel gro screwed around with my refund and i had to go all Groucho Marx on their asses..''why send a message when you can telegraph your blows''..i just wrote about how they were dealing with my refund and noted that the threads i write in got 165K views..they decided might be a good idea to pay my refund..their excuse they posted was our gear is so good that we don't have many returns..utter BS i say..if you're going to offfer 90 day return policy you have to have a systm set up for retuurns..i sent them back on 10-10 they received it on 10-16 and didn't issue refund till 10-22 when i dunned them..i got the money in my acct yesterday..bastids! now i can buy my nu lites

The Bt seedlings are busting out and grwng very quickly..they nd to go in chmbr 3..today i hooked up cooling/air and did light proofing in it that i've been avoiding..i hate wrkng on hnds and knees..i'll do chmbr 2 tomorrow..PITA fixing light leaks..chmbr 1 i started flwrng yesterday..turned both switches to on..plnts are really growing very thick..i had to give them a trim..

SA is looking good ..gave them cal mag/silica up top today witth r/o..the littlest was wilted as i don't think it's roots have gone thru to the base like the others..it's still got bud but it nds more looking out for..

The Wizards Fire from LG weighed out 39.5 grms of prime bud..my cut 20 grms..i'm happy..i didn't exspect anything let alone the quality because of the lackidasical care..but surprisingly it worked out

This mo for my amazon order i got Iguna bloom juice, a mini fan for pwrd intake, and a pestle n motar to grind additives..i also gotta go to lowes for gorilla tape and sprinkler head takeoff..keepin expenditures dwn for next mo..hopefully..i have to figure if i should fill my co2 tank..i have to find the static test date thats stamped on it somewhere and see if it's expired..cost about $50 with the fill to recertify..not worth it for 5lbs of content..i'd rather start renting tanks from the home brew store dwn the st rather than get on the frwy..

I treated myself and p/u Live,Die,Repeat..the nu Tom Cruise movie..it's not bad if you don't think about time paradouxes too much..good physical stunts..good pace ..good acting..Groundhog day meets Starship Troopers basically but entertaining..the ''making of'' extra was fairly interesting and on par with the movie..often the ''making of'' is better than the movie as in Daredevil, Electra, and Death Race...sometimes the director is so visionary it's mind numbing.. Robert Rodrigues  of '' Pacific Rim'' is intense..modern day Orson Welles..his breakthrough move was El Mariachi with Antonio Banadderas
    This wk i think i'm going to watch at least one movie a day
    lightproffing chmbr 3 006.JPG starting flwr 10-26 011.JPG starting flwr 10-26 004.JPG starting flwr 10-26 006.JPG starting flwr 10-26 007.JPG starting flwr 10-26 008.JPG starting flwr 10-26 009.JPG

15. Hey Doc!
    Glad to see you won the shoot out with the light folks. Sucks how many companies are out there nowadays that won't just honor their word without all the bs. I'm glad you got your cash back man.

16. Gd' day all..Much went on..the Haz c x SKS on the third day of flwring showed balls on both and got chopped..the BT was moved into their place..they have a N def cause i waited so long to give them nutes...they're starting to grn up..all nu growth coming in is nice grn but older leaves yellowed and some i removed cause they're not coming back..i think they'll be all right they have well developed roots

I ordered my lites with the refund and got half the order..the 48x3w..i'll get the 192x3w nxt wk..i'm load testing the lite in chmbr 3 to see if i can run with no pwrd venting or intake only passive vents and still not get too hot..it is furthest from the window and it's 79-88 with the lite on avrg 80-84..thass not bad at all..cab 1 is  75-84 avg 80-83...the ambients have fallen and i haven't used a/c for more than 2 hrs all wk..i'm pleased the temps and ambients are inline as i had hoped for when i was planning  this switch to led...

Outdr garden i pulled two plnts that were ailing..the two left are pretty hardy..they have this fleck stuff on them possibly from me spraying bad spinosad..it stormed two nites in a row but the plnts weatherd it.i collected aprox 8 gals rain wtr...planning hvst on thnksgvng possibly..

Drppd the freebie seed..2 Canadian Cheese..fems..private breeder..hmmm..dubious but i got a open chmbr to play with and you never know..at least they're feminized and won't waste my time or resources..i'm giving autos some thought for the sally alley..i'm thinking i won't be using SIP's in the space but smarties instead and i want to fill the space with two plnts maybe three..i'm looking at auto Mazar preliminarily..

My amazon order never madde it..shwd as delvrd on trkng ..they refunded my money and it turned out the plnts i was going to give the nutes to i ended up pulling..load test is shwng pwrd intake probally not needed..so it all worked out to my benifit go figure..i don't even try anymore i just try to roll with it..tomorrow is payday and i'm going to p/u a tank of co2 at my local brew store..i'm going to try the 5lb content size if they have it..get cab 1 pwrd up  for fast veg..theoretically

Cab 2 is all ready for the 192x3w and tennants
    rain wtr collection 050.JPG rain wtr collection 053.JPG rain wtr collection 056.JPG 280@5.7 001.JPG nu lite 48x3w 002.JPG cab ready for lite 001.JPG

17. Update: Picked up my co2 tank at the brew str..$114..went to walmart and p/u 2 jugs of aloe vera juice, coolie shoes, and $10 jeans..i installed the air hose behind the fan and set  the cyclestat for 30 secs every 15 min @1.5 LPM during lites on..set the exhaust for  5 min on every 45 min 24/7..gonna see how it goes..temps have been chilly at nite runnin with the window open all nite..got dwn to 75 in the chmbr last nite..i'm sleepin in sweats and wearing a hat and scarf..i did run the heater and close the window about 4am for about 30 min..got the apt warmed up till the sun came up..freeze pks have been lasting 34 hhrs between chngs as the ambients have been so cool...this is perfect weather for indr grwng imo..
    Tomorrow morn i'll check the two canadian cheese in paper towel for poppage..meanwhile either the pwr cord or the connectors are wonky on my new lite..i've pm'd Sara for permission to open it and check them..i've had this happen before in my UFO's takes 5 min to fix..
    This time change has got me sleeping early and then getting up around 10-11pm so i've got all my stuff done by 10 am cause i been up all nite..been watching movies on prime..rented the new Godzilla ..it was so bad i couldn't finish it..only the Japanese know how to make a Godzilla movie..Cpt.America vs Winter Soldier was pretty good..i wanna see Looper and X-men and get into the time paradox thing..cap it with another view of Live,Die,Repeat..
    Outdr gurls are doing well..gave them a gal ea of rain wtr..they are getting pretty stinky and lotta red hairs..the flecks are going away..i saw a few gnats flying around but it seems what you would expect..still targeting thnksgvng for harvest..
    co2 added 008.JPG co2 added 003.JPG

18. Gd' day to all..Much went on..lost my mind for a bit and had to have reality dope slap chk..someone dumped soil in my prized succulents..twice! i had to clean it outta there cause i didn't know wtf was in it..this caused me to lose it ..get on my high horse and start looking for nu place to move to ..got a lead went to open hse by mistake and learned what you get for $1,500 a mo..OMG!! saw the stairs at another possible rental..might as well be climbing Mt. Everest..i got some elements here that are problematic  but i've decided to spend the energy to solve them..i get a lot of value living here but i needed to reconfirm that to myself after 10 yrs..the emotional ups and dwns were severe but i got it back under control again..a good bit of DIY soothes the soul for some reason..

Decided the winter project will be to expand the sally alley..the problem with the SA is full sun acessibility..the fence slats block light to the whole plnt..i'm thinking i'm going to truncate the space using a old discarded fence i found from 3M's project..put it across the base of the triangle and have a secret door on it..the exsiting fence i could now remove the boards and have raised plnts against the wall fully exposed to sun and now i could tend to them fully plus not be seen once i'm in there..be like a little grnhse with no roof..thinking the secret door will be slats that are hinged..the plan is get it all worked out and painted THEN install it all stealth like early in the am..fait acompli!

Weatherman sswears it's going to rain sometime in the next 10-12 days so i finally made it out to the place that sells recycled drums..picked up two 14 gal drums for $30 ea previously used to ship pharms in so they werre clean..i'll buy more as i fill them and see just how much wtr i get total ffrom one dwn pour..thinking i nd two more at least..

The two Canadian Cheese seeds popped and have progessed quickly ..they are now in chmbr 3 under the 48x3w for the second day getting nutes so light the meter doesn't register it..i centralized the kooling systm so it's a little chilly in the soup..also vented the chmbr using one of the inlines that formerly vented a hid hood..4''..temps are under control in that chmbr.. Chmbr 1 is running sweet with co2..plnts look great and have lost the N def..temps are not going over 85-87..the 96x3w was the perfect lite..Chmbr 2 i hooked up the 192x3w and temp shot up to 90 pretty quick with no a/c and being vented by two 4'' inlines..a/c brought it dwn to 86-88 not good..fail! decided i'm going to put in a 6'' fan but i'm chaffing about the ducting..i'd like to use a 6''to 4'' reducer but i'm being told thats not good idea by the pros..i got time to figure it out..think i will jetison the cage fan in cab 1 and repurpose the inline which would free up a duct port at the window..be quieter too..

Found 3 seeds in my Wizards Fire so i dropped them if they pop it's a full hse over here
    The two plnts in the SA are very stinky with 17 days to go..leaves still look funky but bud is ok so i just gotta ride it out..this is the last time i'll be grwning in this style..next time it's all hnds on 
    nefarious plans 013.JPG nefarious plans 009.JPG nefarious plans 006.JPG nefarious plans 003.JPG seedlings 004.JPG seedlings 002.JPG

looks great DM, LOL

20. Update: Sara wellcome! As you can see i write a lot..i know translating for you takes a while..that's why i always have pics..I repurposed the inlines and disconnected the duct for the squirrel cage fan..it's now 50% quieter as the inlines are both matched S&P silent series and are on a cycle not continuous running..i ordered 25' ea of  4''& 6'' ducting hose that's blk rubber coated..$42 on amazon prime..it's gonna be tight and really work with the decor..you know how i am about that..at the end of the mo. i'll order my 6'' hyper fan..
    The Wizard Fire seeds i found..of the 3 one popped with nice tail..i put it in rr cube and under led in the incubator..meanwhile the Canadian Cheeses AKA the Knucks are doing good in chmbr 3 with their soup being in the low 60's..the BT's are doing great with the co2 and led combo..i'm running a flush and will mix nutes tomorrow..i'll be using rain wtr..i topped them to get the branching going on..
    The next step in the rotation now that the WF popped..when it shws grwth bigger basket then into chmbr 3 with the knucks..chmbr 1 i'll run the BT's till dec 1 and then trnsfr to chmbr 2 under the new 192x3w for 1 wk veg and then flwr..at that time the knucks and WF will go into chmbr 1 to veg/flwr under co2..that's the indr winter grw 2014..i'll start seedlings for outdrs in soil around march 2015..theroretically..
    Wizards fire pops 006.JPG Wizards fire pops 009.JPG Wizards fire pops 010.JPG Wizards fire pops 011.JPG Wizards fire pops 012.JPG Wizards fire pops 013.JPG Wizards fire pops 015.JPG