2nd Grow: Girl Scout Cookies

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by hmbab2000, Jan 6, 2013.

1. The ladies seem to be doing well. GSC seems to be the rave in the Bay Area. I've smoked it before ANC it was pretty good but I've never grown it. You seems to be doing a good job. How long do you plan to veg. To reach your goal I would say about 2 months or so. The amount of light and Nutes will affect yield also but you should be able to get at least 2 per plant. What size pots are you going to use in flower. I like 7 gallon GeoPots (fabric pots), they air prune the plants and keep the roots cool. They drain good too.

2. #22 Luc1fER, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
    Nice grow bro, your cookies look legit to me...she dosnt like a whole bunch of nutes. Water water feed is what im doing and she likes it. Very light feedings. Less is more. She also stretches double in height in flower. Looking forward to the Harvest. Im subbed. :smoke:

3. Interesting info Skywalker...
    I have been feeding since first watering.
    I considered waiting, but the soil was not loaded, according to the Hydro shop.
    I'm using just under the recommended shot of 2 teaspoons per gallon.
    I use one cap-full per gallon of water.
    I've only applied a full gallon once, between the three plants.
    I'm watering about every 3-4 days.
    I'll keep an eye out for any signs of over feeding, thanks for the heads-up!

The growth is beautiful to watch!
    And judging from your comments, I have more to come!?!
    I'm just hoping that the early training will pay off.
    Now my issue is keeping the top foliage from hitting the light, while keeping the light as close as possible to the tops!
    I MacGyver'd a solution, Ear-Rings!
    Applied to each leaf needing to be lowered... :smoking:
    They work like a champ, and can be cut to weight.
    I'm using hanger wire, as you can see.
    I'm able to get the leaves right to the level I want!

As for how long I'm going to veg...
    I'm shooting for 24" before beginning the cycle change.
    I'd like to top one more time, once they hit 24".
    The light cycle change will take 12 days, and HPS will be swapped at day 6.
    That gives the newly topped parts about 6-8 days of growth before flowering is on, and vegging is over.
    I'm hoping that is enough time to grow about 6 inches, that puts me at a 30" plant.
    Then, I'm hoping that flowering only "grows" them another 6-8 inches max..
    I can only handle about 36-42 inches of plant in my tent, and this is my first "full-cycled" grow.
    With 8 inches of light and 8 inches of pot, that leaves room for 44 inches in between...
    Any thoughts?

Here are some pic's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. #24 Luc1fER, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
    Your feeding solution seems light enough, 5ml of veg nutes per gal is what im doing. So i Would say a cap is 5ml. :smoke:

But make sure they get a good plain water between waterings or you will def get salt build up later on And cook her.

They look great and love the hanger wires are perfect for LST. How tall are they now?

I threw in 12 GSC into flower with 18 days veg and they were about 18" they are now about 34-36" finjshed so she def stretches double. I dont think your plan for 40" from the flip will work out so much.

Honestly since you topped them already, id wait till their 19-21" tall and then flower them....they should be around 38-42" by the time their done and that will be perfect for your setup. I just threw up some shots of her in my SIP thread. Shes at day 39 and yeilds very small. So if you want more yeild with her, id suggest running smaller plant 15-18" and run 6-9 plants in 2 or 3 gal pots.

5. I have heard and will re-act!
    Next watering will be straight water.
    I watered the house plants with the prepped stuff, they should love it!

Plants are currently 16-18 inches tall and growing by the second!
    Funny, your comment about yield..
    My last crop was flower only, 6 plants in 2 gallon pots.
    It resulted in about 3 ounces of smoke, but the plants had NO roots.
    They grew great to a total hieght of maybe 18 inches, and above ground everything looked great.
    When I cleaned things up, and pulled them from the pots, the root ball was maybe the size of a golf ball with a little hair!

This grow is going for a stronger plant, with more yield.
    I'm hoping to pull at least 2 ounces off each plant.
    I am using the same 2 gallon pots from before, but this time I'm "vegging".
    I'm at 20 days veg now.
    Another 6 inches should take a week...
    I'll probably end up vegging for 30-35 days.
    Hard to say since I'm going for height measurements.

Without looking at your thread...
    What lighting do you use to flower that resulted in the double in height?

6. That was def your problem with the last grow, root mass = bigger yeilds.
    So you gotta feed the roots, a good root stimulator like great white will work wonderfully. Its a lil expensive but def helps get you a bigger root mass. Try to think gears like a car. If you finjsh in 2 gal pot. Then i Would start them in dixies 16oz cups, first gear n veg them and train then early on to creste your "legs" or tops. The more top you can get tbe better.

10 days in the cups and then 3 weeks in the 2gal bags second and last gear. Then flip them. But always make sure your feeding the roots to get a bigger rootmass thus bigger buds. Usually 3weeks in veg the nutes in ur soil should be strong enough to feed the plants with just plain water with the root stimulator. But im sure a feed or 2 During the 3wks veg wouldnt hurt at all. Just remeber less is more with the GSC. I water about every 3 days first i feed the wait 3 days and then water with ph6.4. Then respeat.

I think another week Would be perfect for them. The most ppl are getting off her in a 4wk veg and 3 gal pot is 2zips so i think you can def hit that. Just stay on top of the watering n keeping the soil moist and not dry out too much. Letting them dry out can stale them n lose yeild n qaulity.

I had 12 GSC n 9 other plants under 1200watts, but shes gunna at least double if you throw a 600er over them.

Sorry for the info overload, your doing great so far, just correct your feeding schedule a lil and you should be okay. :smoke: im Subd here so Ill help out as much as i can.

7. Watered this morning.
    Water only.
    All three sucked in the water.
    A bit of run through was gone after about 5 minutes.
    I'll give another pouring here in a few minutes before leaving for work.
    That should do it.

Raised the light another inch.
    Amazing the way these things are growing!
    I've only removed 1 leaf, the one that burned from the heater.
    All leaves are nice and green!
    A few show some age, but they are the old ones!

The branches that have been trained Horizontally are now showing some nice vertical growth.
    I just hope they get enough light...
    They are certainly nice and stout!
    About as thick as a pencil already.
    The main stalk is already thick as a sharpie pen!

24 inches here I come!
    Scared, but here I come!
    The over-all consensus is that the plants will be too big.
    I'll be modifying the planned schedule.
    Maybe not doing a second topping...?
    Just let them grow another 6" and switch over.
    Maybe start the flip this weekend, change lights next...
    That would be roughly 30 days veg.

Thoughts.....

8. Sup dude :wave:
    By far GSC is my fav strain to grow.
    Shes gorgeous. With that said i.demand pics! :laughing: jk.

Yeah dont worry about older leaves, and older def Markings, they will never go away. Sometimes i clip em or Ill leave em just preference.

I Would top one more if ya can, creating a low n Bushy plant. Which is better for your tent. Then wait another week. And flip em.

Pics tho! Lol
    Enjoying your journal so far :smoke:

9. Top the highest branches they seem like they like it wait for the heal then flip
    ( what I would do )

10. Yeah these things are growing great.
    I'll probably not top a second time.
    Here is a close shot of some inner growth.
    Those branches are looking good!

ForumRunner_20130130_060930.png

ForumRunner_20130130_061000.png

11. So I've been considering all the options...

I don't want to have a problem with too tall plants!
    I looked at the last grow and the plants did almost double in size during flower.
    That means these cookies are already looking at 40 inches, they are at 20 now.

I have begun to flip the light cycle.
    Tonight the lights will cut off half-hour early, and another half-hour each night until they hit 12/12.
    When i get to 15/9, 6 days in, I'll switch out to the 600 HPS.
    No more topping, no trimming.
    Just keep training the branches horizontal.

I'll take another photo shoot this weekend.
    Should be at close to 24 inches by then.

12. #32 Luc1fER, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
    Sounds like good plan, looking forward to the update.
    Also, to keep stretching down as much as posible...pinch in between every knode of growth that you see from the top of the branch to 8"
    down. Like supercropping but your.not bending the branch. Just pinching the stems till you hear them pop. Keep doing this for first month of 12/12. Itll stop the strech by tons. Peace sky

13. Another update weekend morning photoshoot!
    These are the morning i look forward to most lately...

All plants are doing great! :::knock on wood:::
    They were watered after this picture session.
    I'm not letting them "DRY" out, but letting them get "lighter" before watering.
    Weight is easiest to judge, and only takes a second!

As you can see they are almost to the 24" mark.
    I have started the light cycle switch to 12/12.
    I'm currently at 17/7.
    It was suggested to me to try another method...
    Cut the lights for 36 hours, complete darkness.
    Then after the dark period go directly to 12/12.
    It is certainly intriguing, but I want to stick to the plan.
    I also think doing the slow change will allow for a little more growth...
    Oh well, it's all speculation at this point.

Almost all the branches of every plant have been/are being trained to lie horizontally.
    As you can see the only branches not being trained are the top, and the last branch.
    I think I'll continue with this method to the last top, bending it over or at least make it spiral.

Pictures:

A:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

C:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Group Shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Just go to 12/12. Some prefer to start advance flowering thinking more bud production but not sure it works. Just like 24-72 he complete darkness before harvest. I've done it and it helps.

15. Since the Super Bowl is not going my way I needed something to do...

I switched the light out and got "Flowering" ready.
    Pulled out the T5 (Great investment!) and installed the 600W HPS.
    Hooked up both exhaust fans.
    One pulls through the light, and one pulls air (speed control in-line) as needed.
    Lowered the plant base, and installed one more small fan.

Plants were just getting too crowded under that small fixture.
    Now they have the room they need, and the light to feed!
    As you can see the tops have been trained horizontally like the branches.
    I can't wait to watch them now!

[​IMG]

16. Loooking good bro! Ventilation is dead on. Cant wait for more updates. Just wait till you see her flower.

17. Subb'd! loving the new lighting, looks like we have the same taste in lights. Fluorescents are great for vegging so great investment is right! Check mine out. It was originally suppose to be a multi plant scrog under a 600w HID, but finances are not allowing me to Scrog so im doing a sog. Check it out its pretty cool.

18. Thanks for the thoughts!

I'm watching them burst into foliage!
    Lots of nice green tips growing "UP"!
    Just the way I wanted it...
    I'm only concerned now about light, and overcrowding.
    I may trim some of the leaves to allow light to penetrate.
    I rearranged the plants, since the light wasn't hitting everything.

I know, typically, removing leaves is done as needed.
    I think I'll have to trim a few top fan leaves.
    They are just so big, and cover the little guys below from getting as much light...
    Bad idea?
    I want to leave everything, and let mother plant do what she wants.
    But in my little tent atmosphere, i can only do so much...

Ideas?

19. A few pictures from this morning...
    Just over-all beauty shots to show progress.
    All clean new growth.

That last one is great!
    It is a perfect example of what I'm trying to train the branches to do...
    Produce me some big time goodies!!!!

Last night was the first full night of flower!
    12/12 from here to infinity!
    Well, 65 days or soo....

Sorry about the crap-tastic pictures!
    The HPS really messes with the camera, even with the flash on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. #40 aj69420g, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
    No, Good Idea, any limb that isnt 100% healthy is detracting from your plant. Your plant is now working harder to keep that foliage alive & repair it. so removing it allows already implemented sugars to be concentrated on other auxin points. You want to remove them at the base of the leaf leaving the stem. Since the flow of the main stem's sugars is passing the bare stem towards new growth, it will create a small vacuum and suck the left over nutrients out of the stem you left behind.

You want to remove any fan leaves blocking new shoots and new growth. leaving 1 or 2 per shoot is good because they do contain nitrogen and act like little solar panels. The more surface area of green, the more energy being produced to push the sugars straight up the stem.

So overall, sickly ones chop, light blockers chop, leave what you can for health, but remember the top shoots should lose the most foliage.

I have some good pix in my last 2 updates of good resulting trim pix But I LST so it can be a little confusing.

Hope that info helps