First Grow - PC Case Mini-LAN Grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by NugJar, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Thanks. I made them with some aluminum flashing I found at home depot. Did you do your wiring using the existing power supply parts?

2. Oh yes! Just dont stress her out any more than necessary. (Her right??)
    Im interested to see this grow finish out. I just started an auto Blueberry yesterday, can't wait for her to break soil!
    Good luck!

3. yep, I stripped the power supply down and then cut it all of except the front...using a pair of metal shears...the rest was easy.

i'd like to find a switch to do that...

4. Just a quick tip. Marijuana is a relatively strong plant.

5. Day 12

70F, 41%H

Moved my case to a different room. Seems to help with humidity. Aside from the discolored tips, I'm seeing new growth. I see what you mean about how strong this plant can be. Since this is an autoflower, should I start 18/6 (currently 24) on Day 14? I also think nutes are suppose to start then as well. Advice?

Attached Files:

6. I've heard that autos yield best with 20/4. I don't see a need to wait till its 14 days old though...Just switch to whatever ya want whenever, IMO.
    Also I assume that you are transplanting out of that dixie cup...in that case your soil will probably be plenty of nutes for most its life. But of course adjust accordingly.
    Just my 2 cents
    Peace and positivity

7. #47 NugJar, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
    Day 13

75F, 35%H

Plant exploded in size 24 hours later, so I must be doing it right :D . I have kept the baggie on it, but I'm certain by tomorrow, the seedling will be touching the bag. I think I will remove it for good tomorrow. I think I want to start up the hormones for vegging and begin some lights out. But according to Dinafem they seem to suggest 12 hours:

• Most productive of our autoflowering strains.
    • Mixed effect, primarily soothing.
    • Compact buds covered with resin.
    • Ideal for guerrilla growing, balconies and patios.
    • It grows to about 100 cm in ideal conditions.

Dinafem crossed plants selected from the Roadrunner strain with a JYD Haze, with the specific idea in mind of changing the characteristic taste of autoflowering. The result is an improved automatic Haze Autoflowering.
    Haze Autoflowering produces impressive compact buds, totally aromatic and full of flowers, and in only two months and a half.
    The effect is more relaxing than psicoactive due to its high CBD amount.

• Flowering at 12 hours: 70-80.
    • Outdoor harvests: from April to October.
    • THC: Medium. ( 6% - 12% ).
    • CBD: High.
    • Production: from 20 to 50 gr.
    • Height: In soil from 30 to 85 cm. In hydroculture: up to 100 cm.
    • Composition: Ruderalis 25% Indica 55% Sativa 20%
    • Genotype: (Lowrider#1 x Dinafem #1) X JYD Haze

Attached Files:

8. #48 NugJar, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
    Day 14

68F, 39%H

Bag has now been removed for good. Tips are crisping up, but the plant was about an inch away from the bulbs. I have now lowered the plant to 3 inches away. Hope this will reduce any burn and promote growth. I'm enjoying this. So now I can use some advice here.

Am I ready to transplant to another pot? I posted some pics of the pots I have to choose from. I can't decide to use either the pitcher or the red pot. I really want to contain this entire grow in this box, so it may be its final container.

And if it is time to transplant, should I just wait for the cup to dry up (1 or 2 days), remove, repot and fill with more FFOF. This will still provide the nutes to carry on another 3 weeks, correct? If this is only a 70-80 day grow, Im about 20% in, so I want to nute when the moment is right.

I want to start 18/6 light perhaps as soon as tomorrow. This may be a dumb question, but I should transplant first, then cut back the light? Not the other way around?

Sorry for my noobness, but I don't want to start a 100 different topics. I figure anyone browsing my journal could post some tips or guidance. Kind of a 'hold my hand' the first time.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. I know its not the most exciting grow, but does no one have any advice what I should do next? :confused:

10. Yo man! First off I wouldn't stress whether you transplant or switch lights first. But if someone else knows please chime in. Also you can probably go another week at least in that dixie cup, so just take your time and find the right pot. Maybe find a transplanting tutorial?
    Good luck, Peace!

11. [quote name='"OgrAdaY"']

Yo man! First off I wouldn't stress whether you transplant or switch lights first. But if someone else knows please chime in. Also you can probably go another week at least in that dixie cup, so just take your time and find the right pot. Maybe find a transplanting tutorial?
    Good luck, Peace![/quote]

Id keep it in the cup until it got a bit taller. And honestly i would not worry about nutrients.

Its your first grow so there is a learning curve and lots can wrong.

Introducing nutris jus creates xtra variables anf xtra things that can go wrong.

Wait till flowering to add nutris

12. Day 15

70F, 33%H

Well, it's growing for sure, but the color of the leaves is starting to concern me. I will leave it be and water tomorrow. My tap water pH is about 7. I will bring it down slightly and water with that. Should I add about a half of cup, of just pour until it drips from the bottom?

Also will take the advice and hold off on transplant for about 1 more week.

Attached Files:

13. Day 16

70F, 34%H

I watered the plant today with pH'd water. My tap water was 7, I got it down to 6.5 then gave it a good drink. I watered until I had some run off from the drain holes in the cup. I tested that water and I think it was closer to 7. Sucks, cause I'm color blind. My digital reader should be here soon.

Is my plant at a good height for 16 days? What can I do to encourage it to grow taller?

Attached Files:

14. Also did a little more work on my Veg/flower box. I replaced the exhaust fan and started working on an external scrubber. The inside of the 90 degree vent has been sprayed flat black. It's not the Mona Lisa, but it has potential.

Attached Files:

15. Day 17

68F, 28%H

Nothing new to report. No water today. Will check tomorrow.

Attached Files:

16. [quote name='"NugJar"']Day 17

68F, 28%H

Nothing new to report. No water today. Will check tomorrow.[/quote]

Its looking good but a bit on the small side imo. Check out the first bit of my grow journal for comparision.

Maybe ur temps are a bit low...better to be around 75-80 in my experience

17. #57 NugJar, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
    Day 18

70F, 30%H - 24h light

Slight increase in leaf growth and visible new growth forming around the first set of leaves. Wondering if I should trim those first leaves and let the new growth come through now.

Attached Files:

18. The temps have hit their lowest because the bedroom I have the case in is unheated on purpose, since its part of a heating zone with another room and bathroom, which are unoccupied. The past 2 days have been our coldest days during the mild winter. If I see a continuation in room temp drop, I may turn the heat on for a few hours. The cost of heating oil to heat the rooms makes my plant more expensive to grow.

19. No need to trim them but you could if you really wanted to. I usually just let them do their thing naturally. Your temps are humidity are a little low for veg but perfect for flowering. See what you can do to get both up a little for veg.

20. Day 19

81F, 16%H, 24h light

Soil in the cup was pretty dry, as the humidity indicates. Watered the plant with Distilled Water. Runoff was 6.5. I decided to do some work on my seedling box today. I put the plant in my larger box for the day to keep it in the same 24 hour of light. It's too late tonight to take pictures of the modifications, but what I did was removed the power supply which housed the AC adapters for the fans. Moved the exhaust fan from inside the case to the outside, where it now pulls air from the inside of the case versus pushing it out. I added a 3rd light socket so now I can really go bright inside. And finally, I put a switch on the intake fan so I can try to combat the humidity levels dropping rapidly. Can't believe I'm close to 3 weeks from the day my plant cracked it's shell. :D

And it's got a nice fresh living plant scent now. Can't wait til it gets real stinky.

Attached Files: