Question about muscle building and strength?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by baker925, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Wassup guys,

I am 5'7 150 pounds. ( Im small, I know )

I have been lifting with free weights, bench and machines with little to no cardio for about 1.5 years. I was wondering what would happen to the strength/size/density of my muscles if i focused more on cardio and did a 100 pushup and 30 pull up routine everyday.

Thanks guys.

2. 150 lbs at 5'7 isnt that bad dude, I know guys that are 5'10 and are less than 125lbs

and if you did more cardio you would likely be more cut like a lower weight mma fighter or boxer similar to bruce lee or manny pacquiao (refrence for identical height)

3. Don't expect to gain noticeable muscle mass with a cardio routine. As was stated above, you aren't small. I would go on to say that if most of you is lean body mass, you are hovering above average for most or average for the gym-goer. Back to your question..What is your goal for working out? Is it to get stronger? To get bigger? To get 'in shape?' These questions will produce what type of workout plan will work best for you to reach your goals. If you need any help just shoot me a pm and i'll be happy to help.

4. This. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to achieve, but judging by the title of this thread I assume you want to bulk up some muscle.

I'm a sort-of-similar height/weight. A bit taller though. Anyways, assuming you're trying to bulk on some muscle I would do a 4 or 5-day split (hitting different body parts in the gym,) and then do cardio once or twice a week.

This is my normal routine, although not always exact...

Mon-Triceps/Chest
    Tues-Biceps/Back
    Wed-Shoulders/Legs
    Thurs-same monday
    Fri-same Tues

Abs everyday. Cardio at least twice a week (usually Sat and Sun, sometimes more.)

Be careful not to over-train or hit the same muscle groups back to back. Also sleep at LEAST 7 hours a night, bare minimum, although 9 would be ideal. This coupled with a high-protein diet and you should put on serious muscle in no time at all.

Remember to mix the workouts up, and to try to add weight weekly. Message me for any other questions! Good luck.

5. You lift big u get big. Meaning, you'll only build mass if you do lower reps. 100 push ups isn't going to get you big.

Look up articles on t-nation. Google their site I don't remember their domain.

6. doing 100 pushups (assuming in 1 set)you will increase your muscular endurance but will not significantly affect strength or mass.

To gain strength/mass the most important aspect will be your diet. Next, as I'm assuming your fairly new to training I would recommend doing a full body program as beginners will recover quickly with adequate food and rest.

Starting strength is a great program, and I wish I had used it when I started training.

7. i wish i could neg. do not do this you will injure yourself. seriously abs every day. not to mention your plan incorporates shoulder movements every day