Widow Grow from Clone to Harvest

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by dlpjr, Dec 26, 2012.

1. On your way...

2. #22 dlpjr, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
    I know its been a few days without an update, but really nothing to report until today. The clones are showing a few roots so its time for them to make there next move. I built this 8 site dwc from a tote that holds the 3 inch net pots. They will be weeded out here, the best six will live, 5 to be grown in the 5 gallon buckets, and one for clones for the next run. That would make about 2 and a half years for this plant.

ForumRunner_20130105_172632.png

I have three 6 inch airstones the totes capacity is about two gallons. This will save me some cash on the nutes, which is a good thing.

I always had a problem with the airstones floating and not staying in place. One day I was at the store and came across these suction cup things made to hold down Christmas light or something and came up with this idea.

ForumRunner_20130105_173449.png

I drilled two holes in the plastic stone, in each corner, put the metal hooks into the holes and problem solved.

ForumRunner_20130105_173730.png

Or I could have bought weighted airstones, but that to easy.

Well there's a heat wave here in NY, about 30 degrees outside, so steaks and clams on the grill tonight. I will finish the post after dinner.

3. Been a few days was wondering how those babies where going,little quest-how do u save on nutes? Do u take cuttings from cuttings or have u had 1 mother all along..keep up good work...

4. To answer your question... I will save on nutes simply because the tote only holds 2 gallons of water. The bucket system holds 24 gallons, so if I have to add 2ml per gallon of b.c. grow I only have to use enough for 2 gallons not 24. The first plant from these clones has long been gone. One of these clones will be the new mother. I will leave one of these plants in this tote for clones for the next run.
    Well I have the plants moved to the tote. The water was left sitting out for 24 hours as I always do. I have made a mix of about 1/2 strength adding 7.5 ml of b.c. boost, 3.75 ml of b.c.grow, 1.25 ml of thrive alive b-1 red, and 1.25 ml of magical. Then adjusted the ph to 5.8. I have the net pots just touching the top of the water. Allowing the solution to wick up to the plants. At this time I only have a few cfls for light on them, in a couple days I will turn the 600 watts on them.

ForumRunner_20130105_204743.png

Oh I wasn't kidding about the clams on the grill.

ForumRunner_20130105_204940.png

5. Ok got u,it's been hot here 40 the other day it was 34 at midnight, no aircon just tuff it out…
    Next few days high 30s....Snags on the barbie 2night....

6. I am talking about Fahrenheit are you talking about Celsius I was standing in the snow....Was 7 degrees yesterday or -13c. Lol

7. LMPO…funny...damn -13...where you at

8. Ya...thats funny. Sitting in the freezing cold in upstate NY, near Canada. How about yourself? Really nothing to report on the grow things are still plugging away. Still waiting for the ballast to get here. Soon I will be moving the plants to the 5 gallon buckets. Will update as I go.

9. It's been nice and hot here..start a new job on Friday(2morrow),going to be 35 also..
    I potted a ww auto the other day using a Jiffy so hope she pops her head soon..she's going into soil into the hot house..weather and time is perfect for autos here...
    Don't know if I could live in the snow,love the beach and camping to much.But can't wait to visit the U.S.

10. Got some free time for an update..

When I use the sure to grow cubes as opposed to rockwool, I remove the top 1/4 inch of material on the cube. The top 1/4 of these things ars made very dense to hold the grow medium together. In my opinion putting unneeded stress on the plant when the stem diameter increases. I maybe crazy but I do it anyway.

Once the plants roots grow out of the cube

ForumRunner_20130110_134803.png

I take a new razor blade and carefully cut the top of the cube to the edges. Then pull this material from the cube. Carefully.

ForumRunner_20130110_135045.png

ForumRunner_20130110_135359.png

Then put the cube back into the netpot, and cover it with hydrotone.

ForumRunner_20130110_135709.png

11. And here they are back in there home.

ForumRunner_20130110_142228.png

If you look close at the top pics you can see a little heat related problem. I put the 600 watt light on them with a mh bulb at about 8 inches. The problem was that I forgot to turn the ballast down to 50%. So they got a little hot, or I should say real hot. Turned the ballast down and temp are maintaining 78.9

12. Howdy..wave...
    With the sure grow u say it's like rockwool.does it hold much water cause in the pics it looks like a material,im thinking maybe better to use in a ebb + flow.
    What brand ballast did u go,awesome that u can turn it down..
    I could see the shell from my ww sitting in the jiffy,I sprinkled a little jiffy over it cause it wasn't at top..Fastest seed I've ever had grow...(fresh)..
    Love the pics of the girls...They should be taking off very soon hey...

13. #33 dlpjr, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
    Your probably right about the sure to grow. I bought them for my first hydro run a couple of years ago. The advertising for the product said better then rockwool, but they all say that. If you look at the first pics I took of the clones you will see they are in rockwool. I had ten left from the last grow I did, but once I put the clones in them they started breaking up. I don't know what was going on with them. I took the clones out of them made another cut and used the sure to grow. To me the sure to grow is like a cotton ball like material, they work I have used them in dwc. The ballast has three setting 50, 75, and 100 percent. I bought it on Amazon last year. I have to get back to you on the manufacturer, I can't remember bought it as kit with the reflector.
    Hey didn't you say you were starting a new job , if so how did it go

14. Man I had to come home early...37 today and was pouring concrete,got heat stroke and couldn't stop throwing up..boss understood luckily back on Monday..I tell u I'm not like I use to be,thinking I'm getting old...lol

15. Never fails... everytime I take the clones, 8 each time. There is always one that grows faster then the other. They are all in the same growing condition, but one of the 8 always seems faster then the others.

ForumRunner_20130112_142614.png

The only one showing roots out of the net pot.

Did a water flush and changed the nutes to 20ml Root66 and 4 ml of molasses. Will let them in this mix untill they develope there roots for a few days. The ph is 6 and the ppm is around 126.

16. Very nice set-up, i hope my third grow can be like this... i need to upgrade to atleast 600w hps... those ladies loooking lovely man!! :p

17. #37 dlpjr, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
    Couple more photos, did a nute change today. The photo of the roots in the net pot is the same plant that was posted a couple days ago.
    Having a slight problem with heat if you look close at the plants tips. Maybe a little nute burn, nothing major.

ForumRunner_20130115_174822.png

ForumRunner_20130115_174951.png

There getting there will start leak checking the main grow buckets, and getting them ready to go.
    That's a bad photo of the plants sorry will try to upload a new one.

18. Just wanted to show how fast the roots develope. This is the same plant in the above post, just 24 hours later.

ForumRunner_20130116_161856.png

Close to 1 inch of new growth.

19. Man that's sweet growth...

20. I have been using this sites app on my phone to upload most of the photos in this journal. I was wondering if the photos are visible or are they links to the photos. When I open my browser on my phone and go to this site I only see links to the pictures. If your using a computer to view this thread could you tell me if you see the photos or just the links. That would suck if you have to click on a link to see the pictures.