Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why is my edible tolerance so low?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by camram, Dec 23, 2012.

1. I mean with smoking I can take bong rips and dab. I feel like any size edible just destroys me.

2. Your smoking and eating tolerance are completely different. So if you dont eat edibles often your tolerance will be unusually low.

3. I've also noticed women tend to have a higher edible tolerance but maybe that's just my observation.

4. hmmm thats something id like to know

5. Your body absorbs it and processes it in a completely different way, actually ac a different substance.
    When you absorb it through the lungs it's THC, we all know this.
    When it gets ingested it goes through the liver as it's absorbed in fat more often than not. The liver converts it into like a different "type/range" of THC.
    Someone else could probably explain that better.
    So not only is this stuff treated as a different substance by your body (hence the tolerance differences) but is also known to be at least 4 times stronger, and also have other almost narcotic/sedating like effects.

6. Eating an edible is like drinking, if your small and skinny, you get hit harder

7. Edibles work differently for different people. Some of us, edibles don't do anything. Others get extra fucked up off edibles. I am sadly in the former group. Weight doesn'thave a play on this. Not sure what causes them to work or not. I would love to experience it. :(

8. I could see wanting to try something at least once in your life but being too high on edibles is quite uncomfortable.

I created the thread when I was high on this chocolate bar and the thing had not even peaked yet. Unlike smoking where you can eat something or play video games to come down a little, edibles are much like an amusement park ride, once you eat them HANG ON!

This was off 1/5 of a chocolate bar, too!

9. See the problem with edibles is you never really know the does within what ever it is your eating.. --uless of course you got it from a dispenory they usually know what there selling so its different

on top of that it takes forever to kick...so people usually end up eating more thinking its not even working

i don't see why you would want to complain about a low tolerance though haha just take half of whatever you had last time and you should be good to go

10. Yeah I'm a MMJ patient. 1/5 was suppose to be 20mg THC...whatever that means.

For me, anything over 30mg and I might as well go to bed. Weird how 20mg of this chocolate bar had me trippin' and someone else could eat the whole thing and probably continue with their day like nothing was wrong.

No complaints about tolerance :smoke:

11. Edibles can be much more efficient than smoking when made properly.... but you may also be one of the VERY fortunate and
    rare individuals, who have very efficient digestive systems when it comes to canna! :hello:

If so, I bet you're the lucky person in the group of your friends, who can have a good effect from the same tray of cookies,
    while a few of your biddies are left to scratch their heads, wondering why they aren't feeling anything. :p

Most people require oil to be made in such a way, that allows for enhanced bioavailability of the active components,
    while a very rare few, seem to be able to absorb cannabinoids readily, just along with a fat source, and with only the least bit
    of processing. :)

When made properly, edible cannabis should provide MUCH stronger and longer-lasting effects, than the effects that
    could be achieved by smoking the same amount of material, for just about everyone! :yummy: :yay::hello: :metal:

Even people with digestive tissue damage, and wasting syndrome-type issues (in spite of a healthy diet, indicating a difficulty
    in absorption of certain elements or food in general), only may, but still may not even have trouble with cannabinoid absorption,
    with the correct edible oil processing. Even they often feel an extra oomph from good oil, and a definite extension in the
    length of duration, when compared to smoking.

When we make canna oil, we are performing a technique very similar to the way many prescription medications and even
    supplements are made, in order to increase their availability to the bloodstream. :cool:

The process in the pharmacological world is often known as Liposomal Encapsulation, LET, and 'metabolic enhancement',
    it means that you've created a solution comprised of a difficult-to-absorb solute, and a highly bioavailable and efficient solvent (ie.
    oil/fat/lipids), but in such a way that a persistant bubble or 'capsule' of the solvent has encased the individual active components,
    allowing them to pass freely through our cell-walls, rather than bouncing off as they otherwise would.

Improper processing techniques, are why we have so much dosage discrepancy, and so many failed edible stories!

Processing matters :hello:

Cannabis glandular material is notoriously difficult for the average digestive tract to break down, process and absorb, in the
    amount of time it has to do so.

It needs a 'vehicle' such as oil, glycerin, or even alcohol, which drastically improves cellular permeability, in order to provide
    you with the most absorption and the strongest sensations.

[​IMG]

The above 'water' could be brownie mix, it could be a beverage, or it could simply be the extra contents of your stomach
    after swallowing canna oil.

When you process in oil gently, for long enough, a solution is formed in such a way when the solvent (in this case, oil) creates
    a persistent 'coat' on the broken down particles of the solute (cannabis glandular material)... once this occurs, you have
    a bioavailable 'solution'.

In other words, we choose the edible solvents we do, not only because they are effective at breaking down cannabis
    glandular material, but because they help our bodies absorb it!

When you enhance bioavailability, you're increasing the chemical load that can reach the system, with any given dose... the
    more highly bioavailable, the less of your potency will go 'in one end, and out the other', without absorption!

In the case of vitamin C for instance, in the form of ascorbic acid, when it has been properly liposomally treated the body will
    receive the same chemical load from '150%' of your daily value, as it can from over '4000%' of your daily value... that means that
    without the aid of proper liposomal metabolic enhancement, you would need to consume over 25 times the amount of
    vitamin C, in order to provide the same chemical load and medicinal benefits to your system!

Back to temperature.....

We process at lower temperatures when making edibles, which reduces degradation of cannabinoids, and rather
    than exhaling trace amounts of potency and allowing other traces to trail off from a burning ember, we're consuming the whole
    lot! But that's not where the big 'increase' in potency really comes from....

Even vaporization at the lowest temps possible, destroys an estimated minimum of 15% - 30% of your potency before it can
    even reach your lungs, while combustion destroys upwards of 50% and more.
    We especially know the vaporization limitations so well, due to the difference between liquid chromatography/LC and
    gas chromatography/GC when performing potency analysis

And someone mentioned earlier the cannabinoid conversion that takes place within the body; when you smoke, you're causing
    cannabinoids to bypass or 'skip' your liver on their way to the blood stream. They still eventually cycle through, but at a more
    gradual pace and only as they are being filtered, metabolized and excreted by the body.

The kind of conversion that occurs, how much, and when it takes place, is specifically reliant on how the cannabinoids
    enter your system.

When you consume your cannabinoids orally, and within the right oil source, you can direct your absorption THROUGH the
    liver, intentionally, which immediately causes the formation of the much more powerful 11-OH-THC, from your D9-THC! :hello:

A hungry liver can cause a negative first-pass effect, where you may over-metabolize cannabinoids rather than convert them; this is why a small meal beforehand can aid in bioavailability; this will both 'lube up' cell walls, and it depletes the enzymatic system and reduces enzyme activity within the liver, allowing for a more gentle conversion to take place; this is when 11-OH-THC is formed!

This is why coconut oil, and to a lesser extent butter, are the favored oil sources for processing cannabis glandular material;
    coconut oil contains up to 60%+ MCT or medium-chain triglycerides; MCTs absorb passively and rapidly through the
    portal vein and liver, which encourages the most D9-THC to 11-OH-THC conversion to take place all at once, and
    as early in the experience.

This DRAMATICALLY improves the experience for patients (and recreational users ;) seeking euphoria and sedation!

Here is an older post on cannabinoid temps, vaporization and GC/LC differences...

----

It's true, the hotter your flame or heat source, the more your potent material degrades and deteriorates before
    it can even reach your lungs. [​IMG] [​IMG]

The way to preserve the most potency, would be to make edibles..

But that is an intimidating concept for most average tokers, because they often don't feel confidant they can make edibles
    properly! And the quality of any edible relies on the precision during processing.

There are many 'old-fashioned', and less efficient (but all-too-common) recipes floating around. [​IMG]

And if you screw up making your edibles, and barely catch a buzz.... then you'd have been better off just smoking the
    stuff. :p

But if you make them properly, you can produce the least amount of waste, and deliver the most potency to your system! :yay:

With edibles, you can get a stronger, longer-lasting sensation from less material, than you'd usually smoke or vape! :hello:

This is because once vaporization is approached or initiated, the amount of active material completely destroyed can
    increase to as much as 30% or more, leaving behind not even the byproducts of degradation (primarily it is THC which
    is effected at such temperatures, where it is one of the more 'heat sensitive' of the major cannabinoids and becomes vapor
    much earlier for instance than CBD, CBG, CBC; THC has a flashpoint of 300.2 F).

But vaping produces a fraction of the waste when compared to combustion, which destroys around a minimum of 50%
    of your potency... those using lighters are degrading more potency with their first puff, when they start their bowls, than
    those who use hemp wicks or ceramic soldering irons for instance. People who vape properly conserve even more.

What remains beyond the destroyed percentage, in either case, is a mixture of residual cannabinoids including THC
    and its degraded byproducts (primarily CBN).

The higher the temperature, the more material becomes destroyed... it's why when fully combusting, or smoking your
    material, you can only idealistically hope to receive and benefit from roughly half the potency your cannabis once contained,
    or less.

We know much of this, primarily because of the differences between the highly accurate Liquid Chromatography,
    and the much less accurate Gas Chromatography.

When analyzing potency content using GC(gas ch.), the end content result measurement is reduced by a MINIMUM of 30%,
    and by as much as 50% of the actual content of that sample, due to the material that is destroyed as the temperature is
    slowly increased, to release the 'gas' that is analyzed. Analyzing the same material via LC, which is a low-temp analysis reliant
    on solvents, produces readings consistently higher.

LC is performed at temperatures far below the vape point, and when the same material is analyzed both ways, using
    GC and LC, the LC results indicate a higher total THC/A reading by a minimum of 30%, and up to 50% under most
    normal GC conditions, depending on the calibration of the GC unit/equipment.

(The lowest temperature GC operates on is based on the vaporization of the elements being tested, and the
    temperature used varies, depending on the calibration and settings of the equipment used; some analyze chemicals and
    metals with higher melting/flash points, for instance when performing a contaminant analysis, and as such,
    they require higher temperatures in order to produce a reading.)

LC is considered the most accurate method for determining the actual contents, potency-wise, because it displays
    what is actually contained in raw cannabis AND ready-to-eat edible products; it lets you know exactly what you're
    putting into your system.

-----

Whoops! Sorry for the long post!... I hope it was interesting, at least :p :) :wave:

12. I'd still like to experience at least once. Last time, I had 2 medical brownies and 2 hours later, nothing. Said fuck it, packed a bowl, and went to bed.

13. Which medical state? I definitely think Colorado has too many edible companies but they probably have the most potent ones, too.

14. CO. Close tO the steamboat springs area. Since then, 3 more times that my friends have made. Still nothing.

15. Edibles are usually more potent than just smoking, and that is almost always the case for me.

16. Low tolerance for edibles means, imho, that your small intestine and colon are clean and working perfectly. You are a healthy person!