Lost lighter in insulation in my attic

Discussion in 'General' started by HollowedHero, Dec 21, 2012.

1. title says it all. basically i was smoking in my attic and and some ash fell on a step. with my lighter in my hand, i swept the ash off the stair and in the process the lighter flew out of my hand into the abyss that is the insulation in my attic. my house is pretty new, so i'm not worried about breathing in anything harmful, i just have major ocd and get paranoid about fire. my friend said that insulation is fire retardant. but i think like "what if the lighter starts a fire...?" i realize that's pretty much impossible (right?) but yea i went looking for it for like half an hour and found nothing...shit just bugs me man. is there anything to worry about? (like is there any possibility at all that the lighter would start a fire?)
    sorry so much for my ocd, it's normally not this bad.

2. [quote name='"HollowedHero"']title says it all. basically i was smoking in my attic and and some ash fell on a step. with my lighter in my hand, i swept the ash off the stair and in the process the lighter flew out of my hand into the abyss that is the insulation in my attic. my house is pretty new, so i'm not worried about breathing in anything harmful, i just have major ocd and get paranoid about fire. my friend said that insulation is fire retardant. but i think like "what if the lighter starts a fire...?" i realize that's pretty much impossible (right?) but yea i went looking for it for like half an hour and found nothing...shit just bugs me man. is there anything to worry about? (like is there any possibility at all that the lighter would start a fire?)
    sorry so much for my ocd, it's normally not this bad.[/quote]

Straighten a wire hanger and poke around. You dont want that shit on your fingers.

3. A lighter isn't just going to spontaneously combust, you don't have anything to worry about

It's just going to lie there for decades

4. There's tons of it...I've already used gloves and a shirt around my face to search...it's a black lighter and the fiberglass insulation is white...how i can't find it is a mystery lol

5. i don't want to keep looking but it has to be there...that's what's bugging me. i don't wanna mess up my parents' insulation either. i've now spent quite a bit of time looking and found nothing. i wanna stop looking can anyone give me reassurance that i'm fine? lol, my ocd gets really bad at times.

6. I've never seen a lighter light by its self have you?

7. if your attic doesnt have ventilation. And if it gets balls hot this summer. u might have something to worrie about. Attics can get HOTTTT if they have no ventilation on the roof.

trust me. im a roofer. :cool:

8. Insulation material/padding is made of very small pigments of glass. I already learned the hard/painful way with all this tiny speckles of glass in my fingers while working construction...be careful.

You wouldn't be trying to fuck yourself up on this one.

9. thanks for all the responses. i think i am more frustrated by the fact that i can't find it than i am worried. it wouldn't have sunk into the insulation (was a small bic) and i don't see it anywhere around the place it should have fallen. oh well, gotta live with it i guess, prolly would do more harm than good by continuing to look for it.

10. Fuck digging in some insulation...
    Makes for an itchy motherfuckin afternoon.

11. dude ur friend pocketed it. for sure

12. ^^^^^^ word

13. i mean, just so i stop worrying or what not, are you guys 100% sure that everything's fine and that no fire will start because of that?

14. Butane spontaneously combusts at 761 F so I think you are fine.

15. and with one fell swoop

the dragons of the ages are born,

and a hero must rise

16. Fuck that OP you don't wanna be breathing in any aspestos or none of that shit. Just call it a day

17. Fus Ro Dah

18. Nowadays modern insulation doesn't have those tiny shards of glass that make you itchy as fuck.

Feel free to digg around in it all you want lol

19. lol i've dug around and i got slightly itchy but somewhat of a sore throat but nothing serious and a shower fixed the itchiness right away. there is no asbestos lol, my parents had the insulation put in a couple years ago, i'm sure they wouldn't have used anything with asbestos (huge ass lawsuit waiting to happen there lmao)
    if i choose to dig again i'd go in with shitty pants and a shirt and gloves and something to cover my face. fucked up thing is it's like a treasure for me xD i gotta find that shit

20. Its just a lighter bro lol