Noobwannb's Self Wicking Smartpot ghetto setup

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by noob_wannaB, Dec 18, 2012.

1. For someone who has VERY limited height restrictions in my veg chamber (my flower chamber has lots of height... they are both in the same box and I regret making the veg chamber so small. Luckily I am doing scrog with LED bulbs so the plant can practically touch the lights... the scrog screen is about an inch away from the lights [8x Cree 9w bulbs for veg]) would this following setup work the same? 
    Say I put a nice layer of perlite at the bottom of the smart pot (maybe 1-2 inches?), then add the soil, could I put this smart pot layered setup into a tray and fill the tray with water, not to exceed the level of perlite at the bottom of my smart pot? I can't see why this wouldn't essentially work the same but I could be wrong and wanted to check your thoughts.
    Thanks! Awesome info!

2. #2162 mrsilly, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    Yes you can. However we do not like it when the roots drink directly from the water source. There will be little to no microbial nutrients in the pearlite. We like to turn our pots once or 2 x per week to prevent this, the roots from growing into the water. You can't do that in the bottom of your pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Hey guys I am loving the ideas you guys throw out like candy on halloween. I am picking them up like a kids first trick or treat.

I am going out of town to Colorado for ten days. I am leaving in only nine days so I don't have too much room for error. I have a really old bag of perlite that I had retired until I saw this thread. When I went to retrieve it to build a sip for my smart pots I noticed it was 25% dust!! It was definitely not stored properly and has been banged up.

I have the perlite sitting on a couple window screens and I have the sprinkling tossing water over them which has dissolved most of the dust, but there is still a bit in with the perlite pebbles. My question is would it still wick properly.

I was also wondering if there is an easy way to create a reservoir that refills the perlite reservoir as the water gets wicked up. Kind of like the pet water bowls that always keep the dog bowl to a desired level. I am guessing it is just gravity at work, but I am wondering what is the principle or science that makes it work so I can understand it better…….

Thanks in advance, I've been reading through this thread all day and I am only on page 19, I am sorry if this has already been gone over. Time is of the essence.

BIM

4. Here is what I am trying to accomplish. I just want it on a much larger scale. Anyone ever had success?????

6. this works because except for the mouth, the water bottle is air tight. the water level will always stop at the opening because once the water level covers the opening no more air can enter the bottle and negative pressure will hold the water in.

7. thank you thank thank you thank. That video gave me a million ideas.

8. I'm having trouble finding a tray for 15 gallon smart pots. They have a 16" diameter and the trays can't be much wider 20" max. If anyone with a 15 gallon smartie can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I'm running out of ideas.

9. I ran 2 #15 side by side in a mortar pan before I switched to 35 gallon beds. How about oil pans? Maybe build a box with 3/4" plywood and heavy casters with a pond liner.

10. I'm a bricklayer so mortar tubs were one of the first things I checked. I currently use oil drain pans with #5 smarties. #5s have a 12" diameter and fit nice. Covering the whole top of the pan. #15s will hang over a couple inches. I feel that might cause problems. I checked larger oil pans for semis also. None that I could find were open like the ones I use w/ #5.

Attached Files:

11. Pond liner might be something to think about. Thanx...I also found a plant tray that would kind of work but wouldn't hold as much water as I would like.

12. http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/titan-garden-tray/flats-trays-inserts

I found pond liner but this is a cheaper way to go. Couple options just thought I would ask for opinions.

The link is for a tray that would fit directly inside the poles of the tent. It would cover the entire floor except a few inches on the end of a 2x4 tent. I would then cover the sip with ground cloth to keep light out since two 15 gallon smarties wouldn't.

The pics are from a farm supply store. The 1 that costs more is double walled and sturdier. It would be my choice. A single 15 gallon smart pot would sit directly on top not allowing any light threw but wouldn't hang over either. The only problem being I would need to move the smarties every time I filled it or use a funnel. Not a big deal.

My question is, Is there any problems I'm not thinking of using a larger single sip for both pots? I think this is how I would like to do it but am concerned about the larger volume of the sip. I've only used oil pans and 5 gallon smarties. Pretty small compared to this. I do put an air stone in each sip. They run 24/7 unless I'm letting the sip dry up. I would probably do 4 in the larger sip. I'm not concerned with price i just don't want another thing on a shelf and each option is pretty cheap. Any opinions? Concerns?

Attached Files:

13. Peekaboo!
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1445045915.644999.jpg
    Just wanted to contribute to this thread since I've gotten so much from it.
    I haven't gotten through all of it but hopefully this is not someone else's idea.
    I used fencing planks from bLowes, as I was walking around in there looking for pond liner I saw this pvc40 sheets for waterproofing tubs and subfloors. I lined my boards and got the corners right and this is what you got! Just wish I would have gotten the larger perlite is the only thing I would have done different. Works great for me in this dry CO climate, watering was my biggest challenge.
    Thanks GC

• Like Like x 1
  14. i took a plastic tote and cut the sides horizontally so they are not so tall. there is your tray.

15. So, I just started my first SIP. 10-gallon mortar tub full of perlite. Filled it to within ~1" from top of perlite, then set a 6-gallon fabric pot on it. It sank to where the bottom of the pot is in contact with the water but no farther (it displaced some perlite).

Is this normal/correct? I was under the impression that the pot shouldn't be in direct contact with the water?

16. NM. Gonna fix it tomorrow.

17. I have a question and need some help I'm currently using a 3' kiddie pool filed with perlite for my sip tray and I'm having problems keeping my humidity in check I've got 2 rw150's led lights and a small 150watt hps in a 3'-3' tent I also am running a 6"hyperfan hooked to a phresh filter

18. My temps are a low of 73 and high of 79 and my humidity is around 65% any help with bringing my humidity down will be greatfull

19. Use weed fabric or other tarp like product and wrap every exposed area of perlite to keep the moisture in the pool.

• Like Like x 1