Noobwannb's Self Wicking Smartpot ghetto setup

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by noob_wannaB, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Bump.

I love my fabric pot SIP's. So much so that I decided to turn the whole floor of my 4'x4'tent into one :D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Can coco be used in place of the perlite, only in the res?

3. It would be best to just stick with the perlite or lava rock. JMO.

4. #2104 MindBender01, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
    Lava will wic like perlite? I'm talking about the media the pots sit on....

5. It will wick, if you go to inthegarden's thread in this section you can do some reading on it.

6. I needed to stop in to share. I harvested my first grow, using this SWICK method. Growing in LOS and under CFLs I pulled 4.5 ounces of top-quality buds off my two autos. I chalk most of that up to the living organic soil, but you and a I know the SWICK was a huge part of the way these babies grew.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I've started my second grow now and will continue to sing the praises of this thread. Good work everyone.

7. #2107 StayLowGrows, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    Hey TJ,
       You wouldn't post those in the below thread would ya? Yours actually inspired it because of being pretty much exactly what I was thinking of for a week or so.

And for anyone else that may have some innovating utilizations of this method, by all means please post some pictures.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1361336-post-your-siper.html

EDIT: I already linked noob's thread.

Any additions that might help, anyone is welcome.

Thanks GC

8. Awesome thread, Awesome idea!

i just got some 6 week old seedlings into a swick, they are in 1g smarpots and i was having  trouble keeping up with watering them and also these smartpots are hard to water i could never get the soil nice and thoroughly moist.... anyway, I was amazed when i checked on them this morning!
    nearly all the water was gone from the res, the soild was amazingly evenly moist but not even close to wet, just perfect! and the plants looked so happy and perky, im sold! 
    one thing i might change is instead of perlite i will use hydroton, as i dont care for perlite sticking to the bottom of the pots and getting EVERYWHERe in the grow room, lol! i hate perlite

anyway just wanted to say thanks noob you changed my life ( a little bit at least :) and btw, your not tricking anyone, i dont believe you're a noob [​IMG]  . i think your name actually hides your true calling of a mentor and guide no-O-B-Wan(Ke)NaO-B  ...[​IMG]
    may the force be with you!

9. I use lavarock successfully as a replacement for perlite.

10. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427506070.528059.jpg
    Is this pot a sip? Would one of these be good to grow in? Any help would be appreciated👍

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Yes, that's a SIP. You can grow in them just fine.

12. Thank you very much. I read that you water from the top for the first week, than from the bottom? How would the water wick to the top? Should I wick a piece of cloth throughout the soil? I just have no experience at all with these whatsoever but would like to utilize them since I've heard only but good things.

13. The soil itself is able to wick the water up, the roots will also eventually grow down into the water reservoir at the bottom and drink water directly from the source. You can mulch the top of the pot to help it stay moist b/c the water generally won't wick itself 100% of the way to the top.

14. Sweet, sounds simple enough. Thanks so much for the information!

15. New here.

This thread is very informative, forgive me if this has been asked and aswered.

What should the PH of the water be when adding more water?

Adjusting water pH prior to use is chemical gardening mentality, and in general is not practiced here.  We build our own soils that include sufficient amounts of lime and organic humic materials in them to help buffer wide/rapid fluctuations in soil pH levels.

Contrary to popular belief, soil pH fluctuates naturally through the process of plant root and microbial nutrient ion exchange.  It goes up, it goes down. You can control it only for a moment...

That's not to say that soil pH isn't important, because it is.  But when considering growing in a properly built living soil, it's a fools errand trying to monitor and control it by adding pH up/down to your water.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. If this has been posted before I'm sorry. Didn't have time to research thru all 212 pages..do you use for both veg and flower rooms?

18. Yes

19. Another thing that works great for breathable fabric for pots is the reusable grocery bags from places like Walmart and such. They are made similar to smart pot material and you can even YouTube it for more info. They are cheap as hell and can hold similar to 5 gal. Smarties. They can be folded down to make smaller heights/sizes. I will be using some of these.

Also wanna thank you all for your trials and wanna give a shout out to the Mrs herself for this fantastic discovery. I have noticed substantial growth in my flower room in only 4 days.. That's right I said it 4 fucking days and I got trichs and pistils shooting all over. I can say this has been the fastest I've seen and most explosive growth I've seen EVER! I have new bright white roots shooting from the bottom everyday in new spots.

It's like McDonalds...buuud buud bud ...I'm lovin it