The most horrifying or disturbing book you've ever read?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by psilocyberspace, Dec 12, 2012.

1. I'm sure someone's mentioned it

The 120 days of Sodom. Marquis de Sade.

The most horrifying things ever imagined are in that book. Great read though highly recommend it, if you can stomach it.

Makes American psycho look like a dr.seuss book

2. Burrows is by far the most twisted author i have read to date....

You know i read somewhere... he doesn't remember writing naked lunch....woke up and found it....

I think i have read that one book ten or twelve times...

3. this book gave me nightmares

i never was able to finish it

pretty good analogy of life in america tho

4. #85 squidrick420, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
    Well he was pretty strung out when he wrote it so it wouldn't really surprise me if he didn't remember it lol.
    I like a lot of Burroughs later stuff though like his poetry made from magazine clippings or his short stories.

This is one of my favorites!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6kHN92Yv48

Read as much as I could stomach of that last night. Disgusting piece of well-written shit, it is.

6. yes i have read several short stories ...when ever i come across one.....
    also read junky.....
    whenever i find something he wrote i pick it up!

7. Yeah I really dig his stuff for the most part. Sometimes it gets a little over the top but I am into that haha. I am also into Jack Kerouac but I haven't read near as much of his stuff. 

8. see i have a fucked up neurological issue..... and have had hallucinations of all 5 senses all my life...... didnt know what caused them till i was 32... before that it was my private world....
    i shared with no one....

the shit he writes reminds me in many ways of alot of what goes along with some of the shit i been thru....
    idk not the same shit.... but a similar feel....
    something you dont find often....

9. All of the original Cthulhu Mythos by H.P. Lovecraft
    Some freaky deaky shit in there. Can't remember the name, but the one about the lost city in Antarctica, and the one with the fellow who travels through time/switches bodies with an alien and finds the city ruins buried in the desert... Didn't sleep that night, spent a long time looking at the stars with suspicion.

10. Sorry for the double post but I have to strongly recommend the Dharma Bums if you haven't read it. Life changing.

11. I get what your saying there, Burroughs has that really abstract and psychological approach to his writing that essentially takes stuff that is seemingly nonsense and translates it into words that convey many meanings at once.

I have read bits and pieces of it in the library at my school but I have yet to actually pick it up and read the full thing. I do plan to though!

12. dont know that i could have described it better myself...

13. Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
    Child of God by Cormac McCarthy

14. I'm going to say that this isn't my typical genre so Ya... But the ice man by Phillip Carlo. It tells the life of a brutal serial killer and goes into details about what he did.

I got the book yesterday afternoon and just finished. Definitely recommend it I couldn't stop reading it.

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Alright, you want disturbing? I've got one for ya. If you like historical fiction you should give a try to a book called "The Journeyer," by Gary Jennings. 
    It's more on the disgusting side than the horror side. It's about the life and travels of Marco Polo. There's a scene in it where Marco, in a drug induced stupor, watches and experiences giving birth to a child. There's another scene where human flesh eaters kidnap and begin eating someone while they are still alive. The whole book is full of some pretty disturbing crap. 
    Ever imagine salting and heating your sandwich by keeping it in your armpit while you ride your horse all day? I give these few spoilers, knowing that there are so many more examples for you to enjoy if you read it. Be prepared for a long read, it's around 800 pages. 

16. ive seen the movie, they eat poo and stuff

17. the bible.....

if u start reading the bible and have no idea of religion, your brain would tell you that this is a fairy tale......I wonder why god would give us common sense then force us to disregard it when it comes to the  "holy book".

18. The Cobra Event by Richard Preston. It's about a bioterrorism attack in New York using a weaponized, highly contagious virus with no known cure. The descriptions of the symptoms that people develop after infection are unsettling to the core. The book also includes a lot of verified facts about the history of bioweapons and how dangerous they really are. The story itself and the virus that is used are fake, but the historical flashbacks are real, and the genetic engineering that takes place is said to be plausible. This book will make you afraid to even breathe.

19. #100 waktoo, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    "The World According to Monsanto", by Marie-Monique Robin.

A work of investigative journalism centered around the history and business practices of the worlds largest bio-tech corporation.  Much of the information contained within was sourced from around 500,000 pages of internal company documents and communiques that were made public by court order.  There were also ~20,000 documents used that came from the FDA.

PCB's, Agent Orange, DDT, dioxin, 2,4-D.  All made in the past and claimed to be safe by Monsanto, which turned out NOT to be the case.

REALLY fucking disturbing, considering that they've been engineering food crops that are resistant to the herbicide that they make (RoundUp) for the last twenty years.

Also horrifying in the sense that these foods have been deemed "safe" by the FDA for human consumption...