The most horrifying or disturbing book you've ever read?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by psilocyberspace, Dec 12, 2012.

1. World war Z It;s a zombie book but the way it is written is very tangible. It reads like an actual account of a zombie war from many aspects and accounts from survivors

2. Rage by Johnathan Kellerman, he has like twenty books but I will never read another after that sick disturbing shitshow

Major topics include, but are not limited to: rape of young girls, murdering young girls, impregnating young girls for the thrill of it, forcing said impregnating young girls to get abortions because abortions are sexually exciting

3. If you want a good Stephen King book read "Full Dark, No Stars".
    It's a collection of four novellas that can really get to you.
    The first one, "1922", is great. Really freaky shit. Haha

4. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

5. Anything by Richard Laymon. Stephen King approved...

6. This will sound very odd for me to mention it: "Touched by an Angel or Something"

It's about a guy who becomes this rich girls boy-toy/house bitch. He's (unknowingly) playing the part of the typical housewife, and she was playing the part of the dominating husband, and she was documenting her observations. He finds out, flips out on her, and she breaks up with him, saying "Leave. Don't come back until...", and then he, in a fit of blind rage, slices her throat with a razor sharp kitchen knife. The rest of the story is him running from the police and wondering what she meant buy "until", "until what?".

7. These two are at the top of my list. Just finished 1984 last week. Terrifying.

8. 1984 or Heart of Darkness.

9. Stehpen King's "The Wasteland" which is book 3 of the Dark Tower series had a few parts that were very disturbing. This is the first series by Stephen King I have ever read, but when I'm done with it, I can definitely say that I will be reading some other King books.

10. Kafka on the shore

11. Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell

Finished it last night. Really got in my head.

12. Dante's inferno

13. 'We need to talk about Kevin' has been pretty disturbing, only half way through

14. 1408 messed me up. I'll never truly feel comfortable in a hotel bed.

15. Yes! This book still disturbs me to this day, and there's nothing particularly graphic or gory about it. I was absolutely terrified when reading it, but I couldn't tell you why. When I moved into my apartment last year I was so tempted to measure my walls and I hadn't read the book for some time. O_O It's one of those books that sticks with you, I think.

The book is formatted... erm... uniquely. There's two consecutive narratives taking place. One takes place in the main text, the other takes place in footnotes written by someone that happened along said text. How you go about reading/marrying the two is up to you.

The main text is a fictional scholarly work, so you'll have to be patient with some of the over-analyzing that occurs occasionally (just skim those parts). Don't let the "scholarly work" turn you off. It's not challenging to understand (minus the chapters on sound and light) and it's very, very interesting. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it. :)

Summary: Read. This. Book.

If you dare.

16. Have you actually read all of this? (tis a massive, intense, read) If you have I am impressed (in a totally non condescending way)

I have it in my room but really just sometimes read small passages from it. Really intriguing - wish I had the concentration to just sit down and read/absorb it - fuck you internet!

A Clockwork Orange is a pretty cliche choice but yeah...

17. a book called fallen angels not bad about soldiers in vietnam but theres this one part where the soldiers help out a little village or something and the families are thankin them and a child goes to the soldiers and blows up and its true

18. I would have agreed but im currently finishing up A Clockwork Orange and its pretty fucked up. Main characters 15 or 17 i dont remember but he drugs two 12 year olds and rapes em in one part. Thats one of the more standoutparts i remember right now but its got plenty of shit like that

19. Dopefiend by Donald Goines.. not unbearably disturbing.. but it's definitely not for the weak.

One hell of a book.

20. Burrows is by far the most twisted author i have read to date....

You know he doesn't remember writing naked lunch....woke up and found it....
    I think i have read that one ten or twelve times....