My Indoor Veggies and such

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mattbo4, Dec 10, 2012.

1. i dont use indoor setup with artificial lights too much but from my understanding its best to get the light as close as possible without burning the plants because the further away you get the weaker the light source becomes
    as in inches

and a bit of air movement on the lights to move the heat away can help a lot

2. Thanks OG, pics in a little bit.

3. Here are some pics that I promised. Sorry for the delay of update. Another one soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. More pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know whatcha think....

5. I wish you would have had it here..I was interested for sure! Mattbo sometimes side conversation is good if you don't want your thread to die out. IMO.

@mattbo
    Woah! First of all pleeeease for the sake of those plants take that icecube out of those cups!

Also, be weary of growing multiple plants in a small location and being able to transplant at such a young age. Normally you only want to transplant when the roots have grown enough to support the plant (2-3weeks). Try and get that light closer so they don't start stretching. You can get it at least 1-2ft to those plants. :) sub'd

6. #46 oceansgreen, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
    i'd agree to move it down until the plants grow more, keep as close as you possibly can without burning the plants throughout the growth for best results from my understanding, and as far as ice cubes, tomatoes may not like it the best but for some colder blooded plants, like lettuce or spinach or kale, i think its an epic idea, especially since it works like a drip system and slowly releases water into the soil, allowing it to soak it all up and get watered deeply, instead of getting a moist top and then flooding out and drying up the next day, for cooler weather plants i say its great ingenuity man, those toms might be a little slower growing for it though

btw im startin myself a small aquaponics system, no plants yet, just gettin water figured out and got a turtle in there thats finally got a touch more space and better oxygenation in his water, may or may not make a thread on here, but definately need to start getting some pics taken before i forget and the damn things done:p

7. Ok. I will move the lights down towards the plants more. And I will be transplanting soon in to bigger pots once I get my Happy Frog soil. And for now I think I'm gonna stick with the ice cube idea until something tells me I shouldn't be doing it. I think it's an awesome idea.

OG, why not make a thread? I would love to see some aquaponic talk around here.

8. "Something" should be a google search. Oceangreen had it correct when he mentioned that some colder temperature plants (like mentioned) can handle it. Other seedlings will be at risk for shock due to cold temperatures. Soil temperatures are recommended to be between 60-75 deg F. Anything below 55 is a no go.

9. i do think the slowly melting ice is a great idea but like i said for plants like tomatoes it MAY do more harm then good, i'd lean towards it being more of a certainty though, simply because itd be comparable to early spring when snow is melting, toms are more partial to hot, sometimes droughty conditions depending on variety (they were originally a desert plant after all)

10. Can I leave the lights on for 24 hours?

11. you can and i have for seedlings before but if you plan to keep them indoors long tterm, as it appears, i'd invest in a timer of some sort

12. I have a timer. Just trying to get an idea about light schedules.

13. I keep mine on 24 hours a day but occasionally (2-3 times a week) I'll unplug them for a few hours. You said this is an experiment so I'd actually be interested to see comparatives between a 24/7 schedule and something like an 18 on 6 off schedule.
    Most plants aren't as hardy as cannabis so they react differently.

14. gtocha, well most of the stuff youre growing from my understanding flowers based on temps, nutes and maturity rather than light schedule, though i believe spinach is one vegetable that flowers based on light schedule most flower off of other indicators so that being said light schedules would likely be best based off of energy consumption and personal schedule... to an extent, i'd still be tryin to get them about 16-18 hrs of light a day though being that artificial lights are not the best replacement for natural sunlight

15. Thanks for the input guys.

I've decided to keep the plants warm for 24 hours for awhile.

Transplanted into bigger pots.

Things are looking aokay on my end.

16. After 24 hours straight of light...everything is good.

17. Fuckin' imageshack sucks. Any body know better image hosting?

18. Why not just upload them here in general?

19. I guess I can try that, upload them as attachments? I have some good progress to report. I'm going to post pics in a little after I smoke a little. I'm keeping the light on 24 hours. EDIT SOON.