Post a random piece of information.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by tokinbud420, Dec 3, 2012.

1. The time it took for the Hindenburg zeppelin to be destroyed by fire was estimated between 16 and 37 seconds.

2. i just made a thread in general about ashtrays. check it out and show me your whacky ashtrays

3. I'm on the 82nd page (ish) and no one is going to read my information.

And that is a shame.

Because I really wanted to let everyone know that there's a species of turtle that can breathe through their assholes. :(

And speaking of assholes, there's a site where you can have an actual chocolate mold of your an00s made for the purpose of gift-giving to someone special.

And speaking of assholes, Yaoi of any type is awesome. Especially the Oncest variation.

Giving you guys pearls here. A genuine embarrassment of riches. I could go on to like 50 more facts of knowledge if I thought anyone was actually reading the 81st page.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #1604 Fire Stone, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
    The English word "arsehole" was first used around 1500 to refer to the anus.

5. The US ranks #1(2014) in military spending but ranks 17th (2012) in education. 2013+ has mixed rank results in education ranging from 1st to 36th.

6. The STOP sign was first used in Detroit, Michigan 100 years ago.

7. Without mucus your stomach would digest itself

8. Baileys Irish Cream is extremely tasty in cupcake icing.

9. The American congress, senate, and executive branch is bought and paid for by AIPAC. 

10. Humans cannot multitask. The brain can only process one set/string of information at a time. When you say you are multitasking, your brain is actually switching between the tasks and in turn you are a little less efficient at each task than you would be if you handled them separately. This is why texting and driving is extremely dangerous. 

Yes, this is all just common sense -- despite what numerous women tell me about how they can "multitask."

Most of them are blonde airheads, lol.

12. Speaking of driving, up to 93% of Americans consider themselves to be better than average drivers. I'm sure the people who try to convince themselves that they're 'good' at texting and driving fall into this way of thinking. No wonder there are so many wrecks! :eek:

13. I've almost been in 4 wrecks in my first year of driving due to someone texting and driving. One of these included someone merging into my lane while I was directly next to them. Had to merge into the turn lane (so glad there was an intersection), floor it, and rip over to his lane to avoid him. What pissed me off the most about it? His kid was in the passenger seat and would have taken the brunt of the impact.

The actual random info: I don't even have a licence right now and I pay more attention/drive better than a lot of people...

14. #1615 Storm Crow, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    Cannabis users are apparently far more likely to survive a severe head trauma than non-users!

From “How MEDlCAL MARlJUANA'S Chemicals May Protect Cells” (Scientific American- Vol 312, Issue 2- Jan 2015)   “trauma surgeon David Plurad and his colleagues did a retrospective review of 446 traumatic brain injury (TBI) cases treated at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center from January 2010 through December 2012. Their study, reported in the journal American Surgeon, found that 82 of those patients tested positive for THC and two of them died, for a mortality rate of 2.4 percent. The mortality rate among the 364 patients who did not have THC in their system was 11.5 percent, nearly five times higher. After taking into account other factors, such as age, severity of injury and blood alcohol level, the researchers concluded that the link between THC and a lower death rate in these patients stood up.”

(And I can just hear some of you now- "Mom, if there was something I could do that would increase my odds of surviving a brain trauma, would you want me to do it?" [​IMG] )

15. #1616 yurigadaisukida, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    that's only because you are defining "multitasking" as having multiple thoughts at once.

Some people are very good at "juggling" projects and doing them in a practicle order that allows the entire job to get done faster.

Example: running laundry and dishes while vaccuming and studying

Managing multiple tasks at once isn't the same as thinking about multiple things at once.

-yuri

16. You set up a false analogy in order to make a point. Also, you can't vacuum and study at the same time and be as effective as if you were doing them separately. There is no way your brain can absorb information at the same rate while you are focusing on vacuuming as it could if you were focused solely on studying. Also, I frequently do other things while the laundry is being done as well, but the washing machine is doing the work and not me.  I don't have to focus on the washing machine for it wash clothes. 

17. semantics. It wasn't a false analogy.

My point was only this. "Multitasking" is not the ability to think about multiple things. It is the ability to manage multiple tasks.

-yuri

18. If you say it wasn't a false analogy, I guess that negates the fact that it was. I feel as though you want to be confrontational, but I can relate so I still love you Yuri. Instead of arguing, I encourage you to research Human multitasking. If you can figure out the irony in you using the semantic argument get at me and I'll give you extra credit.

19. In a pinch, triple antibiotic ointment can be used for shoe polish....