Healthy hydroponics ppm & ph

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by bizie, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Just found this thread (new to GC) very well explained Bizie, I'll be hanging onto this 1.

2. Thank for sharing the great information related to PPM and pH. This is very helpful for the me and many other grower.

3. Just bumping it up. I keep seeing people listing issues where this post would be helpful to solve the problem. More people need this information. One love.

4. For some reason while typing this I put root rot can make ph rise and I am sorry if I confused anyone but it is the opposite, root rot can cause dramatic ph DROPS...I must of been a little baked when writing it and not noticed I mistyped it. I'm surprised no one else caught it.. Thread editing has been closed, I would just edit it if I could so hopefully everyone reads this that initially read the post.

5. Funny, mine kept going up.

6. this was one of the things that made me think you were a whackjob in the beginning :) glad you fixed it

7. lol shoulda called me out on it man. I have a issue with mistyping words when baked. Like totally using the wrong word not typos but word misplacement. lol some sort of stoner typing dyslexia..

Oh don't get me wrong I AM a whack job lol :smoking:

8. Its called aphasia.

9. If I wasted time calling YOU out on everything, I wouldnt have time to help anyone else! ;) hahahahahahah JK :D

10. lol good stuff.

11. Another correction caught by a peer. If your ph is rising and the ppm/ec dropping then your plants are drinking more water then eating food Should say are eating more food then drinking water. Which would be a good starting point for a beginner and yes you could safely increase your ppm if this is happening. Thanks Dopeshow for catching that. Man I am wondering if I should just rewrite this thing. PPM rising then they would be drinking more water then eating food. Man I am starting to wonder about myself now.. :eek:

12. YOU? making a mistake?!? hahahahah jk man. havent razzed you in awhile :p

13. lol do it all the time.

That's the only reason I'm so good now. Messed up too much not to be. :D

14. Ace and Bizie, my ph is dropping slightly (5.7 down to 5.3) and my ppm is staying relatively consistent (1000-1050). Should I be concerned? I'm in bloom week 3.

15. How are the roots looking? What is the grow method?
    Actually if you are a hydro grower all the way to 5.2 is just fine.

16. I do have one thing to add.

Make sure you know the conversion factor of your EC/ TDS pen. There is .5 and .7. This can make a HUGE difference in readings. A plant that's at 1000ppm on my meter @.5 conversion would equal 1400ppm on a .7 conversion pen.

To make it easy, rely on your EC reading to get the correct ppm level your looking for as every pen will read the same EC. Pay attention to what the nutrient company recommends which conversion factor to use. I believe GH wants you to use .7 conversion.

17. This is true but now a days most ppm meters in the U.S are a .5 conversion factor and U.K uses the .7 conversion scale.

Also check out this cool site I found about nutrient manufacturers and the conversion scale they refer to. Very interesting!

What PPM Scale To Use

p.s so jealous of where you live Bham. Go WA state!

18. That link explains it much better then I could haha. When I i first started growing I kept wondering why my plants kept dying and it was because I was over feeding the shit out o f them. I was trying to get my Readings to the recommended 1300 ppm.... Little did I know my pen read .5 conversion not .7 like the schedule called for so I was blasting them with far more nutrients then I thought.
    Yes Bellingham is amazing! We have a huge growing community up here with plenty of dispensaries to "donate" to. The medical system
    Here is pretty much the cats pajamas, I have 3 cards for 45 plants total, so I'm a busy man. Couldn't be happier.
    Word.

19. Ph dropping is typically a sign of decaying organic matter in your res(usually roots) check your res temp and get it lower ASAP if its the problem. Inspect your roots for rot and start studying H2O2 root rot treatment

20. Also simply adding too much of certain root inoculates can cause the same thing. Hence the breaking down organic matter.