Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anyone have any edible questions!? I can help!

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by the bubbla, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Ok. So I've made my green dragon. I used a 750ml bottle of Bacardi 151 and 3oz of frosty trim. Looks like I only lost about 1/5 of the bottle. What dosages should I go with per person? Someone who smokes 3-5 joints a day or medical grade... What's your opinion. Obviously I'm going to experiment and see how much is needed but ballpark.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

I hope that you had that GD already made and didn't just make it for this. I would have given you a little more detail for what you would need for a good transfer. 151 doesn't make for good edible transfers because you can't get it concentrated as much as the 190 because of the extra water, never mind the rum aftertaste, but it can work. With 3oz of good trim it will definitely be an excellent tincture. 

The first thing that I would recommend if you already have the GD made and strained is to leave it open to the air until about a quarter of the alcohol has evaporated in order to concentrate it down more. Don't let it go more than that because with 151 the cannabis oil will separate out and you don't want that. 

You will need to experiment with it a bit. I could tell you exactly what to expect with a 190 product but haven't worked much with 151. I do know that it will transfer to honey, although weaker, and I imagine it will go into other things as well. Because of this, I am running an experiment right now to see what it will take for the 151 to evaporate from sugar and if it will leave a viable product. I have some rum from a previous experiment, so I've mixed some with sugar and am letting it evaporate off. I may have to regranulate the sugar afterwards but that's not a problem. I'm not using a 151 GD for this because I don't have anything other than 190 made but I'm not worried about the cannabinoids infusing, just whether the sugar is usable for recipes. 

For your potency of the sugar you would determine how much GD is a standard dose and that will depend on how much it's concentrated. With 3oz you should have a good strength anyway. You decide how many doses you want in your sugar or other product then add that much GD and evaporate at low heat. 

Don't do anything until I finish the experiment then I'll have a better idea of how to proceed for you.  :)

3. Okay, I've completed the experiment and it worked well and I learned how to make rum flavored sugar at the same time. It looks like the only difference in the 151 and 190 transfers is the need to regranulate the sugar after it's dried. I placed it on a griddle set at 200F until it was finished. The extra water in the 151 leaves it chunky and that's why you regranulate it. For larger batches the oven (electric) works well. 

Start off with an ounce of GD in half a cup of sugar. Make sure that it's stirred well for even infusion, especially if there's not standing liquid. After it's finished then you'll start testing for your dosing. I have daytime sugar and night time sugar and use a combo for my recipes depending on their function. Getting your product to the correct dosing for you will take adjustment but it will be fun doing it.  ;)

4. #704 DabCanada, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
    So I have a few questions about edibles made with shatter Coco oil made with second run shatter and reclaim.
    My process to make the oil is I take my rigs and rinse them out with 99% iso and put it into a jar. In this jar I also put any shatter I get from doing a second run as well as any Iso used to clean my blast dish and tools to scrape etc. I then put this mix into a double boiler and cook it until the ISO is cooked out. Then I add some Coco oil and let it simmer for about an hour or two. So my questions are:

1. Is rubbing alcohol safe to use if it's 95% ethanol anhydrous v/v, denatonium benzoate, diethyl phtalate and camphor? Or should I stick to 99% ISO? I just picked up a bottle of the rubbing alcohol this time as I wasn't at the local pharmacy and this is the best stuff they had.

2. Would the simmering process decarb the shatter enough to activate it for the edibles?

3. If the answer to 2 is no then what should I do to decarb the shatter before using it for edibles?

As a final note shatter in coco oil is amazing for edibles and by far the way to go. Kicks the shit outta any Cana butter or Cana oil I've ever made. I usually use probably 7-8g of shatter in about 4 cups of oil and it makes around 70 mini muffins and 50 cookies. One of either would be manageable but two or more would put you to sleep for the evening. So good for people who have access to shatter or for a good use of the reclaim in the rigs.

5. Hey. Well, yes. I made this green dragon solely to transfer or infuse some sugar. I did 3oz of really frosty trim to 750ml of 151. Once that was done I did one cup of white sugar to 1 liquid oz of green dragon mixed into my sugar. Threw that on a tray and baked it at 200 for about 15-20 minutes. End result was a light green tinted sugar. I used some to brew my Cuban coffee (colada) and the result was amazing. Very satisfied for my results the very first time around. Ingesting is definitely better for medicating than smoking in my opinion. I couldn't find anything with more alcohol per volume than 151. It tastes like shit and my sugar doesn't taste like rum either. Thank you for your advice though. I will probably redo some green dragon with actual medical nugs because I feel the flavor transfers over readily and I can taste that plant trim. Since the flavor transfers over so readily I think actually nugs would probably taste better than trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. I just posted a question pertaining to coconut oil vs. butter. If you could look at it & respond, I would be VERY grateful & it would be SO appreciated! ♡

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Sorry... never used this phone app. Missed the mark with that one. Not meant to "reply!" Grrr... >_<

Great! I'm glad it worked as well. I knew the taste would be off just from my little experiment. Yours would have had all the cannabis flavors left over from the trim. Bud is a lot different, at least the way I make mine, with freezing and no heat. The GD tastes like the bud itself if it has any taste. When you're ready to do it again, let me know before you make your tincture and I'll give you some pointers that will improve the overall quality of everything you make with it.

Now that you know about the sugar you can do the same thing with other carriers like butter, oil, honey and a lot of other things. If you get a chance to get to another state that sells 190, pick up a large bottle especially for this. You'll notice a huge difference and you can make a lot more stuff from the GD.  :smoking:

What's the question? I don't see it.  :)

10. I posted about an hour ago on this forum (never used mobile app before though) under: "Coconut oil better for edibles?"
    Questions there.

11. Best weed tea recipe from scratch help!

-=Comfortably Numb=-

How's the sugar working out for you?  :)

13. Any shatter Coco oil advice for me at all?

Not from me other than advising against Iso or any other denatured alcohol. I would only use grain ethanol, 95%, but that's up to you. Purge it well. There's anecdotal evidence that the longer processing time could decarb but I haven't seen anybody's test results to prove it. If it's been working well for you, don't change anything. I don't have any experience with shatter and can't go beyond that. I use an ethanol cannabis oil from time to time and there are some carriers that won't work as well with it. 

It's a shame the OP is no longer around to answer your questions more in depth.  :)

15. Its been fun but im basically just trying to use up this 151 bottle of GD. You say your process involves no heat and only freezing? How does that change the flavor? And how does it activate the thc? Ive been meaning to ask you...what happens if i make a batch then once ive baked off all the liquid i add another two table spoons of GD to the already infused and dried sugar? Could i make it stronger that way?

There is some heat but it's not during the extraction. You would decarb your cannabis first and that's the only place you really need heat if you do the evaporation naturally. The extraction is done out of the freezer. By freezing your cannabis for 24 hours after the decarb the trichomes will become brittle and fall off the plant material which makes it easier for the alcohol to extract the oil from. The freezing cold alcohol inhibits the extraction of chlorophyll and other unwanted compounds that influence the taste. When you heat cannabis during extraction, whether alcohol, oil, butter, etc, it pulls in all those compounds and makes your product taste like wet hay in many cases. 

You can make your sugar stronger like that but it would be easier to just add as much as you want the first time and let it evaporate instead of doing it twice. You just have to allow more time but it will infuse all the cannabinoids. 

The way I make my GD is superior, if I do say so myself, and I have an almost-300 page thread to prove it. I'm going to include the link for the short version. Look it over and when you have a little extra time and material, make a small batch. Let me know and I'll set up a procedure specifically to your needs and walk you through it. You'll love it and with it you'll be able to make excellent edibles from a number of different mediums such as the sugar, oils, butter, honey and so on. 

The important part is the 190 proof ethanol. You can make your GD from 151 in the freezer, too, and increase the potency and tastiness with the only difference being the amount that you can let it evaporate. Here's the link to the thread called Dragon Lite. If you have any questions, just ask.  :) 

17. Is rubbing alcohol safe to use if it's 95% ethanol anhydrous v/v, denatonium benzoate, diethyl phtalate and camphor? This is the only ethanol I have access to here in Ontario Canada. If any of these ingredients are not good to ingest then 99% ISO is my only other option.

I wouldn't use anything with camphor or the other stuff. Stick to the iso and make oil. You can't use it as a liquid extraction. Just be sure to purge it before ingesting. You can use the oil to make a decent 151 Green Dragon (I believe you can get 151 in Canada) without any of the bad taste mentioned in posts above. You can then transfer that to sugar and then make your edibles.  :)

19. thank you.. Ill look around for that everclear and ill inform you before i begin. I would have loved to try your superior method.  

You'll get to try it. You may be able to order some 190 online. Shipping is expensive but as it would be worth it for one time so you can see the difference. I say mine is superior only because of the cleanliness of it and it's taste and effective edibles and because the potency can be so easily controlled. I'm not saying that my way is the "best", but it is pretty damn good. 

Let me know when and I'll walk you right through it, easy peasy.  :)