How long to veg?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by zelena, Nov 29, 2012.

1. I am still trying to understand how everything works and I am still a bit confused.

Does it totally depend on the variation/ strain how long you veg for (and flower for), or is this time flexible according to what you are trying to achieve? ie smaller quicker plants or bigger plants with more yield?

For example, on some Medusa feminized seeds it says 'flowering 55 - 65 days'. Is this the total time from planting seed to ready to harvest? and can you adjust the times to make the plant bigger/ smaller?

What is the minimum and maximum lengths of time people veg a plant for and what are the results (benefits/ negative points?

I take it for flowering times, the plant will tell you when its ready?

Sorry for all the questions :)

2. The time you take to vegetate the plant depends on how much space you have mostly, eventually the plant will reach a point where it no longer grows larger, just continues to replace old growth until you cut some back or induce flowering. Once the plant starts to flower it can double or triple in size, so that needs to be accounted for when deciding veg time. You can induce flowering straight from sprouting the seed, though in most cases the plant still displays gender at the same rate as if it were vegetated until it was mature enough to develop preflowers.
    As for the flowering times given by the breeders, that's how long from the time the plant first develops calyxes during a 12/12 cycle (or from the start of the cycle if it was already preflowering) that it will take to reach peak growth and be ready for harvest, except in the case of autoflowers, then it's from when the seedling is established. These times are estimated under optimal conditions so they're subject to change.

3. this^^. Its not that confusing youll get everything down quick. 50-60 days is just the flowering time. You can veg regular and feminized plants indoors for as little or as long as you want, which will affect your plant size/harvest. flowering is really not adjustable although you can do it slightly early/late.

4. Thanks,

So, if size isnt an issue, Is the usual vegging period about 4 - 6 weeks from first seedling? or until the plant looks like it stops growing?

I never knew that the 55 - 65 days was just flowering time. So Autoflowering plants are much quicker to grow then if it is 55 -65 days from seedling to harvest, rather than a normal plant which has an additional month of vegging?

Thanks again

5. you can veg as long as you want the longer you veg the bigger the plant gets and the more you take a chance of disease or something going wrong. I think that you wanted to know the minimum veg time. They say to always veg for 2 months at least from seed before you flower, because the plant needs to mature. If you flower sooner than that you take a chance of the plant being too young and it effects the yield of the plant.

If your vegging clones, you can flower as soon as the clone grow roots, because this is an identical make of the mother plant that you took this clone from. That means she is as old as the mother that you took her from.

6. ^^ who says you have to veg for 2 months? Sure you can, but ive never heard that as a rule of thumb. If anything, i usually veg for a month depending on the size of my plant at that time. Ive seen some veg for less then that due to size restrictions in the grow space.

OP make sure you decide a good time to flip the switch because as everyone else has already mentioned, the plant will likely double to triple the size of its current state in flowering.

Overall, you decide when its the right time to induce flowering!

7. so is it correct that there is something about a clones maturity that means it can be moved to flowering earlier than a plant of the same size? if so what? and I presume if you did take a clone to flowering saqy a week after its roots take, you would end up with a very small plant/ yield?

I guess it is mainly the size, as my biggest plant is now only 18 days old and its so big and strong, yet the 3 that were only a week behind it are still very small and are not growing as fast. Maybe it is down to the genetics in the seed?! :)

8. flowering clones immediately after they root isnt the best idea but some people do it. and yes if you have plants of different genetics they will usually grow at different rates which is why some people only grow one strain at a time

9. All depends if your doing soil aero hydro.. im doing aero and only veged for 2 weeks because they got to 12' exactly where i wanted them to be to start flowering and they were clones

10. #10 trueweedsmoker, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
    Sorry it took me a minute to get back. Yes you can take clones from mature plants but arent suppose to from mothers under 2 months old. Yup...soon as it roots you can flower the clone but this technique is usually done using the sea of green method (sog). If you look at seed sellers they will tell you how there seeds will yield. example- 600g/m2
    This means like 600 grams for every 2 meters using the sog method.
    sog is taking a bunch of clones and tightly compacting them together and flowering them soon as they root which gives a great yield per space ratio. doing it like this produces 1 big long cola that requires no space, a very productive technique, but you will need lots of clones lol.....good luck.

11. Veg until the plant is as big as you want it to be at the start of flowering. That could be days, weeks, or months.

Flower time is set by the strain's genetics. If a package of seeds says XX days for flower, that is only the flowering period they are talking about. Keep in mind that you start counting the flower period from when flowering actually begins on the plant, not necessarily when you flip the lights.

12. Do u have two separate rooms where u can flower and veg at the same time?

13. good question.......The more yield you want the longer you veg....this doesnt always apply, it depends on your growing as well.  But dont veg too long or you can get what they call (ovs) I believe.  over vegging.

14. Veg longer and train your plants for a greater yield. 1-2 months is a good veg time if you have room for a couple foot tall plant. Top the plants and use some other forms of training such as scrog or tying down the colas to widen the plants surface area and get that yield you want. 

15. Veged mine for almost 4 month it still have another month to veg, it would of been bigger if i didnt take clones from it. Lol you can veg for a year if you want to ^_^

Attached Files: