Time Travel is Impossible

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by AshTapper33, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Being that our universe is one structure comprised of (insert unimaginable number here)s of smaller structures, time is nothing but the process our universe is taking. That being said, in order to travel through time, you would have to rewind or fastforward the entire cycle of the universe, and move unimaginable amounts of matter (all the matter in the universe) to go back to a certain point in the process our universe is partaking in. That in itself, is impossible. Thoughts?

2. but what if there are parallel infinities to every parallel universe meaning that you could travel to a parallel universe that is experiencing presnt day but to you its the past because you come from a parallel universe that is ahead of their time.

nothing is impossible, it just takes out of the box thinking.

3. Well NASA is working on a warp drive now, so idk

4. #4 AshTapper33, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012

Wouldnt a parralel universe(s) be something other than third dimensional? We are third dimensional being composed of physical matter in the infinite of our universe and our universe only. Blackholes are a possible infinite to a parralel universe, but they rip the very fabric of our plain of existence apart.
    Also, theres a difference between out of the box thinking, and a fantasical idea of something our species simply, even if possible, cannot begin to comprehend or accomplish.

5. I will reply later, after I'm blazed. Then I will be able to understand better

6. special relativity says otherwise.

google - time dilation.

ud need a more specific definition of time travel cause everything is traveling through time at different rates.

7. I think time travel as depicted in movies is impossible. You can, however, effectively travel forward in time thanks to relative physics.

Time is simply objects changing in relation to each other. Since objects are constantly changing, time is effectively flowing. If you could somehow arrange all the objects in the universe into the same state that they were in say 1950 then you have effectively time traveled.

Think about this for a minute. Traveling to the past, is effectively duplicating matter. All the atoms that make up your body have existed in some form or another since the big bang. If suddenly you pop into the past, where did your atoms come from? They already exist in space in the time you've traveled to. How can the same thing exist twice? You can't create something from nothing. This is one of the fundamental rules of physics. You can change an objects state, convert energy into matter, and matter into energy, but you can't just poof something into existence.

Two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

I also think that one object cannot occupy 2 spaces at the same time. (Though some minute sub-atomic particles appear to be able to).

8. i just came up with a theory that could explain legit back to the future style time travel is going on throughout the universe

but im not going to share it because then someone would steal it and win the nobel prize.

9. Is speed not another simple property or factor of all matter in the universe? Why cant some things go fast and some things go slow and it be simple? Being that were on a planet hurling around a giant ball of gas, thats hurling around a super massive black hole with other stars, wouldnt most of the shit surrounding us be moving at relatively the same speed?

10. Technically, noone needs to know anything, including myself. Im simply trying to engage conversation, which you are thwarting. S'all good though. This has been bugging me for some time now, I thought someone may think i had a point. I still do, hence my argument.

11. Electrons are moving in and out of our dimension all the time. Wheretf do they keep going? Since energy cannot be created nor destroyed, is it possible it moves back N forth through time & space (other dimensions [times]). Time is a loop, that is my theory.

12. Time only moves in one direction. I'm sure if it were possible you could atleast go foward in time but I don't see how you could go back.

13. [quote name='"ImurderBlunts"']Time only moves in one direction. I'm sure if it were possible you could atleast go foward in time but I don't see how you could go back.[/quote]

I think its possible to not only go forward or backwards but side to side, like to a parallel universe, you see what I'm saying?

14. oh, there are a few theories on that aspect..

Time travel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Time travel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and then there are those worm holes...if either end moves or nears something with enough mass..things get 'weird' and you can pop out the other end, in the past.:wave:

15. people smarter then us seem to have it figured out pretty good. time travel is theoretically possible.

16. #18 Rizo, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
    Scientist have theorized that electrons move in and out of our dimension frequently and randomly. Perhaps that in itself is a jump start to time traveling. A picture I came across of the Gettysburg address with Abe Lincoln, showing an out of place boy (13 ish) wearing grown men's army clothes and boots, clearly too big for the boy.. Well it turns out there is a man coming to Jessie Ventura in an episode of 'conspiracy theorist' claiming to be a time traveler, showing the very same picture as proof. Strange indeed, as I saw the same picture in a history book in grade school. I was curious so I watched on. He claimed he was part of US's Time travel kids group or what not, something about how the gov't needed smart small kids. So I was skeptical because he looks like he's crazy. But it turns out that he tells of how as a kid, the government officials came and selected a group of bright kids and trained them and in secrecy, they sent them back in time to major milestones in history (rev war, Gettysburg Address, etc) to attempt to change time. He speaks of how him and a select few were speaking to George Washington, whom was suspicious and asked 'what might I expect you to be, Angels ? It was because when they were transported supposedly they were without clothing. They told him they were from the future and that he should win the war and other tips. So the guy gave the picture of the gettysburge address with Lincoln all the way in the back but the kid in front. Seems to me someone took his pix bc he was out of place. Well the crew used a forensic camera or something and matched his face (using a picture of him when he was 10) and it matched up. Don't be hatin but that shit is too creepy and matches too well to be a hoax. And btw this is an old picture when photoshop wasnt even invented. And experts inspected it for evidence of tampering. Nothing. Matches his face. Kinda weird right? So I'd kinda thinking it just might be possible, but is not nor will ever be revealed to the public. Cynical, really. Imagine the possibilities

17. The responses in this thread are blowing my fkn mind...

18. Side to side wouldnt technically be back and forth if you leave this dimension but thats how i also think it works..we could possible go sideways into a parallel universe but there would be no way knowing if that would take you to the future, past, or present and no way knowing if that universe would even be the same as ours