Pink Floyd or The Beatles

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by tokin2da, Nov 25, 2012.

1. The Beatles, because I can listen to them anytime. Pink Floyd can only be listened to at a very specific time. Minus Comfortably Numb ofcourse.

There is no pain, you are receding
    A distant ship smoke on the horizon
    You are only coming through in waves
    Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
    When I was a child I had a fever
    My hands felt just like two balloons
    Now I've got that feeling once again
    I can't explain, you would not understand
    This is not how I am
    I have become comfortably numb

2. Both are great, but if I had to decide I would choose the Beatles. Their music has got such a variety of sound/vibes.

3. Personally I would have to go with Pink Floyd, mainly Dark Side.

I really want to like the Beatles, I just could never get into them. It's kind of my guilty secret as a musician/someone who just generally loves music. Does anyone have a Beatles album suggestion that I could start off with to give them another shot?

4. [quote name='"Nyxtro"']Personally I would have to go with Pink Floyd, mainly Dark Side.

I really want to like the Beatles, I just could never get into them. It's kind of my guilty secret as a musician/someone who just generally loves music. Does anyone have a Beatles album suggestion that I could start off with to give them another shot?[/quote]

As a floyd fan I like sgt peppers the best.

5. #25 weirdojace, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
    It's hard to suggest Beatles stuff to people because their music covers so much different ground. But that also means that theoretically, there should be something for everybody.

Personally, I consider Abbey Road and the White Album to be their best. They both cover a lot of different music styles. Some find the White Album to be a bit tedious (it's a double album) but I like it a lot. If you're into more psychedelic stuff, then check out Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, and Magical Mystery Tour. Those are the "druggy" albums.

Also, the album "Love" is basically an 80-minute ultra condensed version of their entire catalog. It's a remix album, and you'll find that the songs all meld together and have parts from songs inside of other songs and it's a pretty neat thing. So it isn't a "proper" Beatles album, but it is a wonderful music collage and does a good job at representing all the ground they covered. If you have a surround sound system, I'd highly recommend getting the CD/DVD combo of this album. You've never heard The Beatles until you've heard their music coming at you from all directions, circling around the room.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQbMvmU1Elg]The Beatles Love Full Album - YouTube[/ame]

And since you like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, I'm gonna guess that you'll probably enjoy their "psychedelic" stuff more, so here's a rundown of their trippiest songs:
    -Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
    -Strawberry Fields Forever
    -I Am the Walrus
    -Tomorrow Never Knows
    -I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    -A Day in the Life
    -Blue Jay Way
    -Rain
    -It's All Too Much
    -Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite
    -Across the Universe

6. Magical Mystery Tour man absolute classic, revolver, sgt peppers and white album are all also great.

7. Other than Dark Side of the Moon, i'm not too familiar with Pink Floyd. The Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road are GREAT Beatles albums though. :D

8. Well I really can't choose one over the other. I'm very fond of both bands and they shouldn't be compared imo. It's weird because with floyd i prefer the psychedelic stuff whereas with the beatles I dig the really old happy songs like the ones on please please me. Also just for the record, John Lennon's solo work will always be gold to me as opposed to many others.

9. BOTH

The Wall, brah. Just listen to the whole Floyd catalog, especially the David Gilmour years.

10. I think they're way to different to compare, but I grew up listening to Floyd and only got into the Beatles later as a teen. Pink Floyd is my all time favourite band forever.

11. I saw them live on the Ed Sullivan show on a Sunday night in 1964...back then the question was not who do you like, the Beatles or Pink Floyd, but The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.....but I'll bite...as much as believe that hearing the Dark Side of the Moon in 1973 for the first time changed my perspective on rock music forever, it was nothing like hearing Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour, The Yellow Submarine, Sgt. Peppers, Abby Road and The White Album for the first time....no comparison...Meet The Beatles!

12. #34 Messiah Decoy, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
    Listened to Dark Side of the Moon the first time I did mind-expanding unmentionables.

So yeah, Pink Floyd is getting my vote. :smoke:

13. Holy fuck, thats so good.

14. Beatles.  I don't mind Pink Floyd, and I've definitely burned one and listened to Dark Side, but I'd listen to the Beatles any time of the day, under any circumstances.  I can't imagine listening to Pink Floyd without a pretty good buzz going, and even then, there's only a couple of albums that I'd put on.  There's half a dozen Beatles albums that I regularly listen to.

15. What a controversy.

Personally I'm more of a Beatles fan. I still love Pink Floyd, but their music just doesn't touch me the same as johns lyrics. Or George's. Both masters of words, and wisdom.

16. what's not to love about several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict...

And then there was always the quiet uneasiness at the midnight movies between those there for The Wall and those there for Rocky Horror Picture Show...you youngsters might not know of the midnight movie phenomena but it was all the rage when The Wall was released.

And ironic that the bump of the thread took place since a blurb on the news this morning was that Pink Floyd has 'officially' broken up.

17. #39 White Indian, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
    The Beatles, no question. Pink Floyd have always been a big hit-and-miss for me. The songs I enjoy from them are some of my favorite songs of all time. But then they have entire albums (almost half of them, I'd guess) which are complete garbage, virtually unbearable. Atom Heart Mother? Obscured By Clouds? Practically everything post-The Wall? I don't know anyone who likes these albums.

18. I like them both but I will say Pink Floyd simply due to the fact I listen to them more often.