Whose vs. Who's

Discussion in 'General' started by Hello there!, Nov 15, 2012.

1. [quote name='"underahoneymoon"']Accept vs. Except.
    They are two different words and are not interchangeable.[/quote]

:laughing: This is another pet peeve of mine. One that is used uncomfortably often.

2. [quote name='"jmick"']How about, What strand of weed is this? [strain][/quote]

Never look in those threads so I never see it :p

3. Lmfao....i never passed a spelling or grammar class in my life....
    the rules just never made sense to me...i never know which since to use...
    You should try reading anything i wrote before learning to use the spell checker....

Reading comprehension....no problem....
    Spelling and grammar....forget it....

4. [quote name='"dirtydingusus"']Lmfao....i never passed a spelling or grammar class in my life....
    the rules just never made sense to me...i never know which since to use...
    You should try reading anything i wrote before learning to use the spell checker....

Reading comprehension....no problem....
    Spelling and grammar....forget it....[/quote]

You've gotten a lot better since I joined... Or maybe you found spell check after that :laughing:

5. I know exactly what you mean. It's like my "Citizens in 21 states petition to secede" thread. There was at least four people who wrote "succeed" instead of...well, you know.

And there was even one guy who wrote "succeed" when he actually meant succeed, and was corrected by cball to say "secede" instead, which, admittedly, just so happened to also work out in the sentence he wrote.

Arrgh...I'd hate to be a grammar nazi, but sometimes it really does irk me to see those kind of obvious mistakes.

I just wanna yell, "Read a book, ya chackin' nub!" :mrgreen:

6. [quote name='"Shoreline Gold"']

I know exactly what you mean. It's like my "Citizens in 21 states petition to secede" thread. There was at least four people who wrote "succeed" instead of...well, you know.

And there was even one guy who wrote "succeed" when he actually meant succeed, and was corrected by cball to say "secede" instead, which, admittedly, just so happened to also work out in the sentence he wrote.

Arrgh...I'd to be a grammar nazi, but sometimes it really does irk me to see those kind of obvious mistakes.

I just wanna yell, "Read a book, ya chackin' nub!" :mrgreen:[/quote]

Hahaha I know, that pissed me off so much. Whoever posted that one post that said succeed/secede a hundred times was hilarious. It was well-deserved.

7. It must be the teachers, I guess. But I'm not surprised, they are government employees after all.

When I was in school (class of '68) we HAD to learn -- and pass -- English. If memory serves, our senior subjects were elective EXCEPT for English.

Nowadays (I guess, don't really know) the most important things are political subjects like [​IMG] environmentalism, social justice, etc.

"Keep 'em dumb, they're easier to control that way."

8. Honestly, I dont care if people make a grammar mistake because most of the time I can understand what they are trying to say. And essentially, thats all that really matters in a forum.

What does bug me is real life mistakes. Like someone using a word the wrong way. But i get over it so life goes on

9. [​IMG] Wow, that fucking "succeed" thread was over the top.

Yup, the easiest way to learn the language is to read. Of course, the material has to be written correctly or you won't learn much.

10. I am a horrible speller but if I recognize a word is spelled wrong I have to look it up and correct it. Some stuff does get by me though when I don't realize it's spelled wrong. I know I make grammar mistakes because I had a half assed education thanks to being home schooled but luckily since I have always been a big reader I think I've absorbed some knowledge. Now I just train myself to do things the right way.

11. Yeah tony....it was round that time i was first learning to use it....then for awhile i was posting from my old phone...with no spell checker.... i must say the spelling has gotten better thanks to the forum more than anything...

you couldn't be more on point.... the schools were a joke...and moved so much....
    In 38yrs i have never lived in one place more than 3yrs....only made it to that 3yr Mark 3times....
    Changed schools 23times in elementary school alone...
    the teachers and schools didn't know what to do with me... the few that tried....lost me right when we were getting somewhere... by highschool i just stopped going to class....after the last move...i was in 10th grade....taking trig ....moved to Fla they put me in basic math...prealgebra...math i am good at...i took that class in 6th grade and at this point knew more than the teacher.... after 2weeks in the guidance office trying to fix this....i just stopped going.....to school...entirely...
    After 2years of skipping class and partying... they passed me to 11th grade...and i never took any of the tenth grade classes.....
    Wtf?

12. Several people have mentioned SPELL CHECKERS: As many of you know, simple spell checkers (like on Firefox) are only good to a point. If you use "there" when it should be "their," it won't catch it. Sometimes people depend on them too much. (The more powerful word processors will check for usage and grammar.)

Holy crap, I don't know how you could learn anything moving around like that. That must have been tough. I never appreciated it until I grew up, but like most kids back then I had a very stable home life.

13. I picked up what i could...where i could...
    Taught myself alot....
    Thankfully i have great reading comprehension...so can learn well from books...on my own...
    I think i would have graduated in 1991....had i stayed the coarse...
    i got a book...with some pretests for the ged...taught myself enough with that book to pass the test when i turned 18....
    We all have our hardships...it is what we do with them that counts....
    i knew i was never going to get anywhere in their system.... so i made my own way...

14. Here's another classic: The misuse of "which" and "witch."

I went to the witch doctor today.

Which one?

Our tribe only has one.

One what?????

One witch doctor.

Wut????

Looks like you're doing fine to me!

15. To vs. Too
    I feel like this is the most basic one.
    Come on people!

16. Yeah but I feel like most people at least use two correctly. Most people.

In grade school I spelled "two" "toe" for way too long haha.