Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana For Depression And Anxiety

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Kush Zombie MEX, Nov 14, 2012.

1. It has helped my depression,anxiety, and ADD, without the negative side-effects (including not working or worsening moods) caused by the pills I had taken on and off since I was young which included concerta,aderall, and vyavansse(current although infrequently taken) for add- zoloft , welbutrin, zoloft some more, abilify (terrible side effects including uncontrollable muscle movements) for depression and then xanax and alarazopam colodopin for axiety (became addicted and abused them with alcohol for a time when I was without marijuana in a foreign country.)
    In fact all through high school i was not on medication and instead used marijuana to treat myself in a non medical state and had the best grade i had ever had with steady improvement the more I smoked including best grades senior year when I vaped every day before school. I found it also helped me with my other learning disability which is similar to dyslexia. The year after i did a study abroad program that did random drug tests so i was without marijuana and my depression and anxiety symptoms came back and i started medication again and it was awful. I was so happy to be back in the states and smoke although i did smoke some hash over there later in the year. Withdrawal symptoms from the pills is much worse and much longer lasting then any "withdrawal" symptoms of cannabis - symptoms from pharma are actual symptoms rather then just the resurfacing of symptoms of my mental illnesses . Who knows what the epi-genetic effects will be from the pills also ... Cannabis is medicine no doubt about it ... and its a damn good one for mental illness, its a shame so few states recognize these diseases as qualifying conditions.

-TS

2. I've been on SSRIs for about 16 years now. Tried them all, settled on the one with the least side effects. My doc thinks I'm Bipolar Type 2, which is the fast-cycling kind, without the mania. So I go back and forth between frustrated, grumpy, and depressed. I started MMJ about 5 months ago for an unrelated condition, and its actually been life-changing.

I would refer to it as a mood stabilizer more than an anti-depressant, but that's just my experience. I use it only late at night but the calming/levelling effect lasts all day.

I strongly recommend -against- people trying to self-medicate in lieu of actual medicine. Go see your doctor, spill your guts, try what "Big Pharma" has to offer. It could save your life. There's a place for weed and for me it's great but it's not magic. Don't diagnose and treat yourself until you've let someone more qualified have a shot at it.

3. #23 clearhaze, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
    Hey all...this is my first post here at GC and this is a Great thread. It is a hellova interesting topic near and dear to me. I've been using antidepressants for close to 20 years in addition to anti-anxiety medications(xanax) and also lunesta sleep aids. It had been years since I smoked weed up until a couple years ago. To be honest, I believe my lack of sleep combined with anxiety magnified/created my bouts with depression. The xanax, Zoloft, and lunesta were all required in combination for my mind to be somewhat at peace. Honestly, it wasn't peace...more like a foggy haze most of the day. Often times I would have a few drinks prior to bed to ease the tension.

I was chatting w a friend about my lack of sleep and anxiety who suggested I smoke some weed when I feel anxious or cannot sleep. I laughed it off when he gave me a pipe and a nice bud. That night I was feeling anxious and knew I would have problems sleeping...thus decided to fire up. Low and behold I melted into the couch with a Cheshire grin from ear to ear. In fact, that is where I woke the next morning feeling "refreshed". I was in awe because I slept through the night without waking and worrying.

I took my Zoloft that morning as prescribed by the Dr....but didn't take a xanax. I got through the day without much anxiety. Again as it got closer to bed time I was beginning to feel anxious about sleep again with the thought of not being able to sleep....thus fired up my pipe...and melted into the bed where I slept all night long for the second night in a row.

This went on for a couple weeks. I slept soundly and was without anxiety throughout the day. The only meds I took were my Zoloft. I had never felt better and more at peace with myself than I had throughout the couple weeks of using cannabis prior to bed. I was elated to discover something in "natural" non pill form. My mind was clear the morning after and throughout the day...unlike when I took the xanax and lunesta. As a result of "feeling" better I became more active with my kids, wife, work etc. It has created a better quality of life for me without a doubt.

It has been almost two years since I took either xanax or lunesta and the only meds I take are a minimum dose of Zoloft. I don't vape every night, but only a few nights a week when I feel my anxiety starts thumping. Rarely do I have anxiety throughout the day and no more problems sleeping. I believe all of my problems were a huge domino effect starting with lack of sleep...leading to anxiety....which eventually lead me into depression. Ever since I started using cannabis I can get a good night sleep and life with very little anxiety.

I would have never thought of using cannabis to help with my anxiety and sleep problems. Nor would I have ever thought it would indirectly help with depression. The results from the last two years have caused me to think otherwise. It is truelly a shame the stigma attached to the use of cannabis. I suppose it is easy for people to judge based on the constant negative press. It is a shame those people don't understand the possitive effects and multitude of diverse uses. I suppose all in good time.

4. Good point. I used to take Ambien daily (well, nightly) as well as Lorazepam. I haven't taken an Ambien since I found MMJ and cut my Lorazepam by 3/4.

At first I was a little foggy in the mornings, but once I built a little tolerance that went away. So now I'm far more alert than I was before (Ambien is much better than the alternatives for morning grogginess, but it's not perfect).

I've also found myself far more engaged in family life. I was before, but now I'm twice as helpful, at every minor game and event and meeting at school. At first I thought I was just compensating out of guilt of having started MMJ, but that's no longer the case. I'm not sure -what- this difference is attributable for, but hearing clearhaze mention the same thing perked up my ears.

I do sense a little less motivation; just as you're more relaxed about what -might- happen (the anxiety part) I'm a little less concerned as well about things I -should- do. So it's two sides of the same coin, and I have to watch for it.

5. Ambien doesn't make you sleep. . . It makes you forget about not sleeping.

I also think people should try a benign natural plant based medicine before seeking out a poison pushing doctor who is brainwashed and pushes 'Big Pharma' "medicine" onto the general public. You could lose your life playing around with these substances.

6. I too suffer from anxiety, insomnia and chronic pain. I am considering trying MJ to help me with these issues as I'm hearing from so many here that are being helped by it. Taking celexa, Ambien and narcotics to include morphine and codeine have gotten real old.
    I just don't know where to even begin here. I smoked MJ as a teen, but are no longer running in those circles any longer. Don't know where to go or who to ask about where to get some. Have considered ordering seeds to grow my own. But I have no place to do it without the family knowing. Any advice you could give here?

7. I think CBD is especially important for mental disorders... along with fish oil omega fatty acids, or hemp seed oil. I can't wait until it is legal everywhere.... I would love to be able to get a nice strain that has lots of cbd.

8. Nice reading everyone’s experiences. I think it’s very good learning from each other on the matter. I see there is a considerable % of people suffering from depression and anxiety and are medicating with marijuana. One thing I noticed while checking on this issue is the importance of exercise and omega 3. I will definitely start boxing next week and buy me omega 3 and continue smoking weed at night. Hopefully that gets me better every day. Hate the fucken pills....

10. Yeah, i have schiz and depression, and my life is so much better just smoking marijuana then on pills. When i was on pills and not smoking i got sent to the hospital because of how fucked i was, i smoke every day but ive never been better in my life. I still have schiz, but its on such a low scale now i am able to deal with it and function.

11. That's great bro. Keep it up :):smoking:

12. Hi everyone. I was hoping to see if anyone has some advice for me. My Girlfriend has been on Cymbalta for depression for the past six months. She wants to get off of it because it is wreaking havoc on her body. However, the withdrawal symptoms are so severe that after a half a day of not taking it she has to pop that Cymbalta pill in. If she doesn't continue the Cymbalata she gets what are called brain zaps and it feels like her head will explode. She even tried to taper off of it. But, no success.

Any suggestions on using hemp oil for this? Do you think the hemp oil would help her get through the withdrawals? Btw, she isn't a cannabis user. Never was.

Any help and suggestions or anecdotal experience is much appreciated.

13. Thats a tough one man, id definatly talk to her doctor, because i dont think prescription pills should do that. I would see what they think about weening her off it.

14. Oh believe me. Look up Cymbalta withdrawals. It's well know. It's nasty. Make should wonder if its not intentional to keep you hooked and sell more.

15. Yeah i mean its worth a shot weed helps cancer patients pain so maybe itll work for her too

16. Not sure about hemp oil. I was on that nasty cymbalta as well as 11 other pills right after getting out of the service and i know exactly what your describing. my zapping withdrawl effects went from my skull always to my left hand or foot and made it extremely uncomfortable most of the time painful shock "pulses" is she willing to try cannabis in any form? I honestly find the most pain relief from strong edibles myself. Hope she finds some healing.

17. I think she will try anything to tell you the truth. How did you stop using Cymbalta? Just ride it out? How long did the withdrawal take?

18. cymbalta withdrawals were no where near as bad a seroquel but after a few weeks of not taking it the withdrawals went away. every morning was shit, dry heaving over the toilet while sweating and freezing my balls off. the mental part was the easiest for me, the physical sickness is what was horrible. weed definitely helped.

19. Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you kicked the nasty drug. It's disgusting how the pharma companies hook you Into their drug. Did weed in any form minimize or stop the withdrawals? She is willing to try any form of cannabis. I mentioned the oil since she also has Glaucoma and I'm thinking that the oil will be the best mode.

20. i found that marijuana in the morning helped overcome a lot of the physical withdrawals.

i mean the depression and what not is still there but at least i'm able to think clearly and dont feel sick to my stomach. the psych drugs just clouded up my head never really fixed anything. the marijuana helps to basically do the same thing but without the gnarly effects on my body

EDIT. marijuana doesnt make my brain feel like it's not working (which is what the psych drugs did) but the marijuana does allow me to not focus on the shit that depresses me....idk if that makes any sense?