Security for under 7$

Discussion in 'Security' started by Edmond Dantès, Nov 12, 2012.

1. CCTV Dummy Fake Home Outdoor Surveillance Security Camera Digital Cam | eBay

\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\tAre fake cameras really effective?

\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t[​IMG]

The short answer to this question is, yes fake cameras are effective. When creating your own home security system, it is important to understand the concept of layering security and of using deterrents as a part of that process. By installing multiple security devices, using signs and gadgets that make a thief think twice about a break in, and even using decoy products like fake cameras, you can create a multi-layered, very effective system of home defense.
    Burglary Deterrents
    Many homeowners simply invest in a security alarm and an alarm monitoring service while believing that this is enough to create a strong home security system. While an alarm and monitoring are excellent starts, much more can be done and should be done to secure a home. Other security measures should include things like outdoor lighting, security signs and decals, and surveillance cameras. Each of these items serve as a burglary deterrent. Or, to put it another way, these devices let an individual burglar know that you mean business and that proceeding with his plans will likely be detrimental to his freedom. Whether a camera is real or fake, as long as it looks like an actual surveillance device it will have the same effect on a burglar’s thought process and will encourage him to bypass your house altogether.
    Using a Burglar’s Ignorance to Your Advantage
    Understand that most burglars are none too sophisticated when it comes to identifying security device particulars. While on the job, they will not take the time to closely scrutinize a security device in trying to determine whether it is real or fake. Simply, thieves see a surveillance camera and make a natural assumption that it is real and that it is poised to catch them in the act. On sight alone, this is enough to cause a thief to look elsewhere for an easy score.
    Can You Tell a Difference?
    Compare two of the many surveillance cameras offered at the Home Security Store: the Atrix 36 IR Weatherproof Bullet Camera and the Fake Security Camera by WINN. Of course, you have the advantage of knowing that one is real and that the other is not. On sight alone, however, could you honestly tell the difference? Would you be willing to commit a crime in plain sight of the fake security camera?
    Short-Term Surveillance Solution
    Of course, a real surveillance camera is always a better option than a fake one. However, if you cannot yet afford a real surveillance system or if you are simply looking for a temporary security solution, such as guarding a vacant investment property, a fake camera can be almost as effective as a real one. As deterrents alone, both types of cameras serve a useful purpose.
    Combining Real and Fake Cameras
    While you can purchase a relatively affordable multi-channel surveillance camera system, it is possible to create the illusion of a multi-camera system by installing real surveillance cameras along with fake cameras at the same property. Such can be particularly useful for a large home or simply for a homeowner who is in the process of creating a multi-channel system, but cannot afford to invest in all of the cameras needed at the same time.
    This concept of installing fake cameras along with real ones is currently being used in at least one Northern California community plagued by crime. News reports indicate that the community of Oakland Hills has invested in multiple surveillance cameras that are installed throughout that neighborhood and, while most of the cameras placed there are real, a few decoy cameras have also been spread throughout the community. In this same way, homeowners can deter crime by simply installing fake cameras at strategic locations around a property along with real cameras and, thus, giving the impression that a property is under tight surveillance even though only one or two cameras are actually functioning.
    What to Look For When Buying a Fake Camera
    While fake cameras are a short-term inexpensive alternative to the real thing, a poorly made fake camera constructed out of cheap materials may not be as effective. By the way, the same can be said for a real surveillance camera, too. In order to assure that your fake camera will serve as a good deterrent, there are a few things that you should look for when purchasing one. First, only purchase a camera made with a durable metal surface just like a real camera would feature. Second, look for a camera with a flashing red light intended to mimic an LED light featured on most real surveillance cameras.
    Tell Me What You Think
    What do you think about fake cameras? Have you used them in the past? Can you tell the difference between real and fake cameras?

2. They are effective at attracting unwanted attention. The beat security is free: Tell NO ONE, and plan/be smart about things. Pay your bills on time and invest in a good carbon filter....fake cameras wont be needed.

3. For the price of dog food and the occasional vet visit my dog does the job. 50lb. Pitt that's a big baby, but sounds like she will come threw the door if she doesn't know you. Mean sounding dogs will make anyone think twice simply because they don't know if they're "all talk", but they don't want to find out either.

4. lol nice

5. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYg-j_DsrcU]chico - YouTube[/ame]

6. Fake security cameras are a good idea but a mean sounding dog seems like a better idea and along with one of those adt security monitoring systems would be a great Idea. Having security cameras skattered across your property might bring up the question of what are you trying to hide. Security should always be on the down low for your safeties sake not for tricking people into thinking your house is locked down tight unless you live in a dangerous place. In which case put up a sign saying "burglars will be shot on site." with plenty of no trespassing signs.

7. i have security cameras all over my house.. and thats not even where i grow

i only use it for security (iv had some kids breaking my windows and such) and im sure people will consider the fact that some people like to feel secure even when there is nothing to hide.

8. I'm only stating what I'v herd others say around my community. We have this old man who has security cameras all over his house and people thinks' he is weird and overprotective(which really there is nothing wrong with it). I don't know mabie it's just where I live, if your not a store and have security cameras people view you suspiciously up here.

9. lol, maybe you two live next to each other :)

10. eh a few of my neighbors also use security cameras so its not like im that 1 weird guy...
    Besides its kind of bias... i mean most people have whole security systems setup in there houses and put up a yard sign to make people/potential intruders aware that you use it as a prevention

Do you think people second guess why they use a security company?
    I doubt it.. Everybody understands the comfort of security
    Hell when i look at the sign in my neighbors yard i just think damn they are good parents for splurging for the extra protection they give their kids/family

11. I live in the big city cams are everywhere and accepted as standard security..i asked my landlord if i could have one for my bldg as it's been broken into before (laundry room) and they not only agreed but said they would pay for half..the unit previously posted is exactly what i'm looking for..wireless cams for under $700..could you post where to get that unit..that's the hard part finding a low cost unit with 100's to search thru..daunting task

12. I just got a simple setup from radio shack and it works great

13. thanx for shopping tip anime895 i definitely will check it out

14. Gotta agree a fence & dog work wonders plus it looks normal :poke:

15. I have a very nice system that uses pan tilt and zoom cameras with infra red and monochrome mode. I have them hooked up to a 16 channel multiplexer. In a couple spots around my home I have fake cameras installed too, just gives the effect that no spot is un watched! And people do think they are real!
    My system is hooked up to a dvr that records for a month strait!!!! The fake cams are useful, but nothing beats infra red pan, tilt and zoom cams with monochrome mode for night viewing!!!!! All my cams are motion sensitive and immediately switch to what ever cam has motion detected. When their is no motion, all cams are shown together on the screen. Cams are not effective for burglars in masks! In most cases anyways. But cams along with ADT alarm system works good. Also, I have huge cans of pepper spray (the crowd clearing type) strategically set up above the front doorway and back doorway(they can't be tampered with either) that are attached to pull strings. I can attach the strings to the doors when I leave, or if I'm home and someone tries to rob me I can use the pull string as they try to pry through my security doors!!!! Then I also have my 870 !!!! Trust me, once you get a dose of 18% pepper spray, they'll say f&ck this, I'm outa here!!!! My dog is always an added bonus too!!

Sent from my iPhone using GC Forum

16. You are so right! I got old neighbors in their 70's that deff don't smoke pot or have anything to hide. They just like the added security!!! My sister has cams on her house, she does not grow or have anything to hide. . .they feel more safe with the added security. More than one reason that people use cams for!!

Sent from my iPhone using GC Forum

17. LOL Dude,

I Live in South Africa on a plot.
    I have real and fake cameras at work and at home, here they make no difference, thieves don't care, at best they will push the camera upward so it can't see what they are doing but mostly they don't even bother.

At home I have a 2.4 meter double brick wall topped with an electric fence.
    Alarm system in the house, cameras everywhere.
    To get in to the house you have to unlock 1 door and 3 security gates just to get to the alarm panel to disable it.
    2 gates between our bedroom and the bathroom.
    Burglar bars on all my windows (double layer of bars).

At night every gate and door gets locked, every window gets closed and secured before bed.

I see pictures of American suburbs and just think wtf.

18. What you describe except for electric fence sounds like Richmond, CA lol...

19. Just wanted to rep the bay!!!!
    Bayyyy areaaaaa.. . Anyways fake security cameras really do work