Anyone reading good books?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by .ViciouS., Sep 7, 2006.

1. on the road - classic a must read
    one flew over the cukoos nest - another classic
    the electric kool aid acid test - history lesson on hippies and acid
    the celestine prophecy - great and inspirational
    walden - great for those trancedentialists out there
    the rum diary - hunter s thompson need i say more?
    the dharma bums - another by kerouac, more buddhist feeling but same idea
    1984 - the future
    brave new world/brave new world revisited - alot like 1984 and the island movie
    lord of the rings series - its easier to watch the movies to tell the truth
    the holographic universe - science, our brains are holograms
    the alchemist - easy read, alot like celestine prophecy
    turn on, tune in, drop out - the title makes more sence after reading it
    the doors of perception - must read for any psychedelic enthusiast
    the i ching - cool book to play around with not really reading material
    the time machine - great short and ingenious
    tao te ching - very poetic words about the infinite

• Like Like x 4
  2. YES! It is.

Haha, kind of a related story, but I've been meaning to read Cell (Stephen King again, I'm a huge fan of his) but I haven't had the money to buy it recently. I had a dream this afternoon that I found it at a flea market for $2.25 :laughing: I was so mad when I woke up and it wasn't there! Argh!

3. reading The Lord of the Rings, it's amazing, i only wish i had some bud to go with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Check out these books. Written by Christopher Paloni. Deff. a good fictional book about a teenager who finds a dragon egg and goes through a pretty fucking awesome joureny.

deff. my fav. book ever. seriously, please check it out if you like fiction

5. I just got the books,
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
    Foop! by Chris Genoa
    Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates by Tom Robbins
    I already know these books are going to be good, can't wait to read them

And i'm reading The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, so far pretty good, the author has a pretty good imagination and I like it.

6. I've recently started to read "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood, but haven't gotten very far yet. I don't get to read much other than children's books these days..the minion sees to that (he's 3 1/2). I suppose "The Earth and I" by Frank Asche and "Pancakes! Pancakes!" by Eric Carle would be the ones I read the most now... LOL

~Kate

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm reading Crime and Punishment currently. Dostoevsky is amazing. I reccomend you start with 'Notes from Underground'.. then mov eonto C&P.. then, do what I'm going to do, read The Brothers Karamazov.

Great russian literature.

8. I just got done reading The I Chong: Meditations from the Joint.

It's Tommy Chong's book which he just came out last month, and why he's been on tour recently... I think it would be good for some people on here to read. But it wasn't quite what I was expecting, so I'm semi-disappointed, but he has some interesting stories.

I just picked up my new book to read, one I sadly havn't read before, Dracula by Bram Stoker... I've read the first half before, but never got to finish it, I love the writing style :)

I think tomorrow I'm gonna just read The Stranger again... it's a short enough book that I finish it in a few hours, but I think it's one of my favorite books of all time. So yall should pick it up :)

• Like Like x 1

9. For those who aren't familiar with Russian tomes another good one to try is The First Circle by Alexander Solzhenitsyn :)

10. Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

I read it a few times before.

• Like Like x 1
  11. i just went to the library earlier today.. picked up:

CAPONE: The Life and World of Al Capone by John Kobler (renewed it)
    MOBSTERS AND GANGSTERS by ......
    POLICE OFFICER: 16th Edition
    ASSET PROTECTION SECRETS by Arnold S. Goldstein
    TRUMP: Think Like A Billionaire by Donald Trump
    THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MALCOM X by Alex Haley
    THE LAST GANGSTER by George Anastasia (renewed it)

12. I just finished a pretty sweet book!

Its MALL by Eric Bogosian, Its a pretty short read too, so if you have a few hours to kill check it out!

13. right now i'm a good way through without precedent: the inside story of the 9/11 commission.

next on the list is fiasco, the american adventure in iraq.

14. I'v read both Eragon and Eldist five times. I'm finishing up A Clockwork Orange for the second time

15. I'm reading that right now and just started part III today. Very philisophical.

Anyone here speed-read? I'd like to learn but i dont understand how one can power through difficult material and still comprehend it.

I'm also reading
    Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill
    How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
    Be Here Now by Ram Dass
    and Meditation For Dummies by Stephan Bodian
    i cant seem to stick to one book the whole way through without starting another one...

BTW has anyone read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn?

16. I'm just about to finish Prey by Michael Crichton. It's a good ass book. I'd reccomend it to anyone. It will keep your attention for hours.

17. Ooooh. I've read that one. Your right. Good read.

Right now I'm halfway through Republic by none other then Plato Himself. Pretty interesting stuff.

18. anything by kerouac or ginsberg is a must read, im sure you've all heard of them.

19. #39 Durchii, Sep 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
    I'm going to read Republic after Crime and Punishment.

Here's a picture of my bookshelf.

Attached Files:

20. Ok finished Prey, now I have to decide between Dune and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. Which one should I read first?