Collab SLOP x SLING - "Moe Maid" Collaboration

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by GlassOtaku, Nov 7, 2012.

1. The mysterious Japanese pipemaker known as SLOP and Philadelphia legend Slinger got together recently for some exciting collaborations. For those who are unaware, SLOP is famous for his "cup" styled pipes which pay homage to the fast food beverage container. Slinger is widely known for using stencils to create images in glass. My favorite piece made during the collaborations is the "Moe Maid" collaboration as I have named it. Using imagery that invokes a true sense of what Japan's cutting edge culture all about, maid cosplay.

The Japanese slang term "moe" is not a concrete term. It is constantly evolving and being used in many different ways. Moe is a feeling or characteristic. The term "moe" can be tacked on to the end of any personality trait or physical trait to create a new type of moe. According to Patrick W. Galbraith it means "a rarefied pseudo-love for certain fictional characters (in anime, manga, and the like) and their related embodiments." Or in this case glass art, pipes, marbles, and their related embodiments.

The effect that slinger uses here is much like the last "Star Wars" themed piece we looked at (see here if you haven't). But by using a much more intricate process known as photo resist Slinger is able to achieve super-finite detail. Making the image look much more like a photograph, full of texture and "lighting".

We loved checking out this piece and hope you do to, both SLOP's and Slinger's artistic visions are a textbook example of the degenerate art movement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. the fuck?

3. thats pretty dope way to incorporate a picture into glass and a pipe.
    the cup veers me away tho hahaha

paying homage to the fast food container? whaaa come on...

4. I love SLOP cups... and Asian women... dear God... brb.

5. #5 theVirtuoso, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
    moe moe kyun?

Never seen any of their work, but it looks pretty cool :smoke:

A Japanese pipe maker is pretty interesting considering how suppressed their cannabis culture is. It's not like it's nonexistent, but I have a feeling you wouldn't find any glass pipes "for tobacco use only" sold in stores.

6. ^ Im think SLOP lives in the US

7. To clear everything up SLOP is a Japanese lampworker living in Japan. He does travel to the US to collaborate on pipes (like this collaboration) but he does make pipes in Japan. I believe they are made in the shape of a cup as a play on the stiff opposition towards both cannabis and pipes in Japan. "made to look discreet"

8. coolest pipe ive seen for some reason the cup and picture blow my mind way cool.

9. Thank you Spam Decimator Version 1.5

10. Take My Fucking Money

11. PM me if anyone wants to buy a SLOP cup, parting with mine. (its a Push, not a GonG)

12. Thanks for the knowledge That's dope art but I wonder how they smoke.

13. the picture inlaid in the glass is awesome! The cup design seemed odd at first, but the longer I look at it, the more I like the unique qualities. Looks like it might blend right in when in an automotive cup holder!

14. HAHAHAHAHA

15. I checked out his blog, his work is awesome. Anyone know where to buy?