Canna coco A&B and CAL/MAG

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by gmd, Oct 30, 2012.

1. [quote name='"irnhed84"']

Ya I imagine that 1000w would make that much more of a difference. It's hard to get these 600's to produce as much ya know? I reckon I should have just stuck with the 1000..:(

Funny how a light or what kind of pot used can have such an impact on yield huh?

I wonder what kind of results you would get with a 10 gal pot and that 1000w light... Might have you running to the store to get some larger ones!;):poke:

2. [quote name='"irnhed84"']

Ya I imagine that 1000w would make that much more of a difference. It's hard to get these 600's to produce as much ya know? I reckon I should have just stuck with the 1000..:(

Funny how a light or what kind of pot used can have such an impact on yield huh?[/quote]

Crazy , I just figured that with my quest to find the ultimate smoke , that I will turn and burn em fast and smallish , the lower buds get fatter this way too.

3. U nutz :eek:. Not Hundreds. Plus I buy nutes every 3 months. My only real expense, is the light. Now for my Winter grow, I will be spending a bit more. I hear Cha-Ching, Beastie Bloomz, and open sesame can double your yield. Plus enhance the flavor. Lets see.

Ok, lets get back on track. The Coco I bought, was of the compressed variety. Hydro farms suggest we add 1/3 regular soil/w perlite to your Coco. Im guessing this is to compensate for what Coco does not have.

I found Coco by itself is great. Adding MagCal is a small price to pay. Its looser, absorbs really well, the roots are a really healty color, and no PH issues. 6.2 during Vegey, and 6.5 during Flower.

4. [quote name='"ArtyCannabis"']

U nutz :eek:. Not Hundreds. Plus I buy nutes every 3 months. My only real expense, is the light. Now for my Winter grow, I will be spending a bit more. I hear Cha-Ching, Beastie Bloomz, and open sesame can double your yield. Plus enhance the flavor. Lets see.

Ok, lets get back on track. The Coco I bought, was of the compressed variety. Hydro farms suggest we add 1/3 regular soil/w perlite to your Coco. Im guessing this is to compensate for what Coco does not have.

I found Coco by itself is great. Adding MagCal is a small price to pay. Its looser, absorbs really well, the roots are a really healty color, and no PH issues. 6.2 during Vegey, and 6.5 during Flower.[/quote]

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Ya, I'm sure your nutes aren't expensive at all.. Good luck on doubling your yield with adding more nutrients.

But for real.. Might wanna think about dropping that ph to right around 6.0. The plants will still grow with it around 6.5, but they will grow much better with it at 6.0.. No doubt.

Oooooohhhh you add soil to your coco.. That would explain the higher ph. I reckon that works.. Never tried it myself. I just use straight coco/perlite in a 50/50 mix. Just add nutes, ph to 6.0, and you are done.:smoke:

So the only reason that you add coco to soil would be to retain moisture.. Most soil mixes start off with a peat moss base which is almost the same thing... Dunno why you would need coco on top of that though. :confused_2:

Do you use RO water to water your plants with?

5. Brita filtered most of the time. Rain water when I can get it.

6. hey fellaz i would like to hop in here with some of my xp on the calmag sbject n also chime in on the yeid to pot size ratio.
    first off i use the canna line n have tried calmag but do not need it . canna coco is designed for reg tapwater . now r/o systems yea you may need it .

i have been using 3 gal buckets for years with the time and size of my plants i get 2-4 zips per plant depending on the strains n topping techniques (if i do it) .. i have recently been short on coco so i have been puting plants to flower in roughly a 1 gal pot(prob a tad less) . i am still getting the same wieght to my suprise !! 3-4 ft plants topped with three big colas at 2 zips or more per . i have to constantly water(daily) so the plants want for not n thus i believe the growth . it is also the depending on your style/method of growing too that may depend on this working . since you may rootbound in a fast root producing method like coco . i run a short clone ,veg(month) flower(2-3) cycle then i'm rotating . i dont have long veging to focus on the huge rootbase to get those trees in my room . i would if i could . just dont have the room . ..

now i have a question for yous . you seem to be able to help me out here .
    i am looking to stretch my coco by mixing it with clay hydrotron i had laying around. i am trying to research on weather or not adding pete moss to my mix will hurt my results or complicate them in anyway . cuz this i do not want ..

7. #28 AladdinSane, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
    Your experience is just the same as mine, and I'd like to back up everything you've said here. I've found that tapwater works best in any coco that I use, due to the mineral content. Whatever extra control R/O gives is much less important to me than the ease of tapwater.

I found I could use much smaller pots as well, fitting more plants into my area. I've become a big fan of those 7" square white pots that have the extra side drain slots. They are rated at 1.65 gallons. I also water daily, which gives me a nice flush each day as well from the runoff. The root efficiency of coco is amazing, I get roots out the side drainholes starting the second week.

To me, rootbound is just a state of mind, rather than a worrisome condition :)

I can't speak to mixing things into your coco. My experience with straight up, 100% coco is just so good that I don't even consider experimenting with the media itself anymore.

8. [quote name='"AladdinSane"']

Your experience is just the same as mine, and I'd like to back up everything you've said here. I've found that tapwater works best in any coco that I use, due to the mineral content. Whatever extra control R/O gives is much less important to me than the ease of tapwater.

I found I could use much smaller pots as well, fitting more plants into my area. I've become a big fan of those 7" square white pots that have the extra side drain slots. They are rated at 1.65 gallons. I also water daily, which gives me a nice flush each day as well from the runoff. The root efficiency of coco is amazing, I get roots out the side drainholes starting the second week.

To me, rootbound is just a state of mind, rather than a worrisome condition :)

I can't speak to mixing things into your coco. My experience with straight up, 100% coco is just so good that I don't even consider experimenting with the media itself anymore.[/quote]

You know you can increase your yield by just adding perlite into your coco? I like to do the 50/50 mix, but anything to make it a bit more airy in the medium is a good idea. I have done some side by side comparisons and the 50/50 mix blows the 100% coco straight out of the water..

Only thing is that you gotta water more often.. But you already water everyday, do it should work out perfectly for ya. Try it out brah.:smoke:

9. #30 AladdinSane, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
    I have absolutely no doubt, even on some college research whitepapers they noted that perlite results in slightly better yields. However my best bro got incarcerated when somebody sporting a badge noticed all the perlite in his compost pile and did a walk up and talk until you're busted on him. He's doing hard time.

I no longer use perlite anymore.

My goal is the simplest, most carefree system possible, using the least sophisticated stuff, that I can toss into my vegetable garden when I'm done without worry. I'll take the hit on output in the tradeoff. :)

10. And I thought the law was bad in Texas!? :eek:

No worries I haven't been on GC in a while. I don't mind at all. Coco rocks! Yeah with tap water I don't add cal-mag and it works great! Although some day soon i wanna use RO only just were in a water crisis so I just leave a rubbermaide filled with water outside in the sun to evaporate.

12. Actually I had just a tiny bit of cal-mag and it seems fine. barely put any in the lid

13. I've personal experienced the following;

Personal elargment via pills
    Horse power gains with the applications of stickers
    Yeild increase with perlite!

haha

On a serious note.. the sevens work pretty good.. lotta coca to fill em but I think ya'll may like the results.. naturally, if some is good more is better right.  I started in 3 gallons pulled 2-3.. in the fives hit 4-7... might have ten on a few of these chocolope plants in sevens right now.

14. Hey guys read through your thread and just have a question. I'm new to growing and still trying to see what works for me and am thinking coco. But have never used bottled nutes before. Will 1 liter of coco A&B be enough nutrients for an entire grow? Or how long can I expect a liter to last, might be a better way of asking this thanks guys.

15. It almost seems like every time someone says anything about AN someone has something smart a** to say. If your on these forums you are having problems to one degree or another reguardless what you say.hundreds of dollars for nutrients ? Do you have an idea how much canna is. Price out rizzatonic. I guess you have the same attitude as the guy when asked where his tricomes were on his pot he answered I use cheap nutes and I sell it cheap. Nice attitude guess he never knew what pot was supposed to look like. It does matter what you feed your girls. It's not about what's cheaper either. Advanced uses products for medical marijuana something everyone else can't claim. Or is it just lies like you say. Well ask high times because their word doesn't hold weight.
    Bump

16. Try to smoke a lil less and then post. I can't even tell what you are trying to say. :confused_2: