Faye's Coffee Can Cloner DIY Tutorial

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by 3Deez, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Hmm...This design has definitely got my interest! Thanks to all who have contributed

2. This is Friggin' AWESOME.
    Do you think 2 of these under a mini T5 will work?
    I do.!

3. We were discussing this over on my thread and PW said it may be the bulbs causing my troubles because there are quite a few and they all started when my clones stopped rooting and beans stopped growing. My son gifted me a used t-5 and that is what I am using and I bet the bulbs are spent. I used spring water today but I'm trying to find some cheap 54 watt t 5's. It coincides perfectly with my woes. When I repot and put them under the other bulbs all of my troubles go away. They snap to attention like they were never ill. :D:smoking::wave:

4. Hey all, thanks for the collective effort here in putting up the details on the cloner. I successfully have roots on all 6 cuttings Ive taken and this was my first clone attempt. :yay:

I used a 3G bucket (since i had it). I was also too lazy to find my hole saw, so i just used a jigsaw and cut some pretty ruff looking circles. Having the sponges a little oversized compensated for the ruff cutting. I also added a little aquarium heater to the bucket.... seems to have helped?

Anyway, its day 6 of them in the bucket and below are the results. I was wondering at what stage they are ready for soil? Should I let them grow out a bit more?:confused:

(there are a couple other picts of the cloner in my journal too)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• MJ45.jpg
      MJ45.jpg
      File size:
      171.4 KB
      Views:
  5. More time imho.

6. Ok, thank you. I've actually bare root transplanted full size mature ornamental trees a few times, so I know there is no real limit on root growth before the move to soil...I'm curious on what is optimal since I've never dealt with cuttings or such young root systems. Could I safely assume 1" of root growth can safely anchor the plant into soil?

7. I planted my last batch of clones after they got that big ol root ball you see in the last pics I posted. I planted them outside just to see how they would do just to satisfy curiousity and they took with no problem. I pulled them and threw them in my compost bin though because we had company at the house today for the holiday.

After the roots are an inch or so would be cool to transplant I guess...but I would definitely give those a bit more time to form stronger roots systems.

8. Can't wait to get my Faye's C.C.Cloner up and running!!
    Looks like success to me, brutha,!! Yes,!! I would be tempted to let them fan out and get established a bit more,... 3 to (maybe) 6 more days?
    questions:
    Did you use any rooting hormone, or anything on them?
    So you think the heater is beneficial?and what temp. are you at,(around)?
    Are you using distilled, or purified water, and do you think it matters??!
    Would be nice if someone came up with the IDEAL pump, and airstone combination..! Suppose its only a matter of time....!
    Has anyone out there considered doing one with an airstone, AND a small pump with a mist head suspended through the lid??
    So those are going in dirt, right?
    Great start, though!!

9. Hey man, yeah...success on all 6 cuttings. Anything negative that happenes from here out can only be my fault. The cloner did it's part and I can confirm it's a great little device.
    Rooting hormone- I used a willow tree water mix. I can't be sure if it aided in the process as I've never cloned before and have nothing to compare.
    I used the heater simply because I had it. It maintains 78 degrees in the bucket. It cost like $8 from walmart a while ago. It seems to have helped as I saw the root nubs start forming on day 5.
    The water was distilled. Figured it would be best to start them in distilled even though my tap water is pretty good (I have the specs for my city water).
    If you build one, let's see some picts!:D

10. You can use one. PW and a few others have been using a kelp/aloe extract that seems to help. I simply dont because I dont have any. My original intent was to strip the process down to the bear essentials. I really wanted that "set it and forget it" mentality (remember that commercial:D). So yeah, it helps but its not critical.

Water is definitely an issue IMO. Ive tried it both ways (tap water and RO). Tap water took a while and the leaves were shrivled and dead by the time I saw anything working in the root zone. My cloner also had so much sediment in it that I had to scrub the cloner down really good....RO or bottled just helps me out. Thats just my experience though. Someone else might have better results since water quality varies.

Knowing the industry, they will take a simple pump set up and charge us double or triple for it by simply giving it some fancy name :laughing:. You'll do just fine with a cheap pump from wally world. I use my pump for both my AACT and the clones (clean the heck out of it after using for tea and I use different airstones just in case of bad microbes) so I got a better than average one but it was still not expensive.

Hook this up, I'd like to see what you mean. Sounds interesting...keep in mind that this cloner can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be in regard to moving parts. Kind of like legos :laughing::laughing:....

:hello::hello::hello: Glad to see your success with it Marve! Thanks for sharing the heater idea IM deifinitely going to implement this one also.

11. You can use one. PW and a few others have been using a kelp/aloe extract that seems to help. I simply dont because my original intent was to strip the process down to the bear essentials. I really wanted that "set it and forget it" mentality (remember that commercial:D) and I also didnt want to have to go out and start stacking expense by adding more stuff. So yeah, it helps but its not needed.

Great idea!! Now that we are in the colder months, I might do the same with mine. Since my can sits in a window, it sort of gets a little cold at night so yeah...thanks for sharing that idea Marve :).

Water is definitely an issue IMO. Ive tried it both ways (tap water and RO). Tap water took a while and the leaves were shriveled and dead by the time I saw anything working in the root zone. My cloner also had so much sediment in it that I had to scrub the cloner down really good....RO or bottled just helps me out. Thats just my experience though. Someone else might have better results.

Knowing the industry, they will take a simple pump set up and charge us double or triple for it by simply giving it some fancy name :laughing:. You'll do just fine with a cheap pump from wally world. I use my pump for both my AACT and the clones (clean the heck out of it after using for tea and I use different airstones just in case of bad microbes) so I got a better than average one but it was still not expensive.

Hook this up, I'd like to see what you mean. Sounds interesting...keep in mind that this cloner can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be in regard to moving parts. Kind of like legos :laughing::laughing:....

:hello::hello::hello: Glad to see your success with it Marve! Thanks for sharing the heater idea.

12. Hello,

The wife asked if we wanted to recycle the folgers can.. lol, i remember seeing this thread before. I put the can to good use. 6 blackberry kush clones sitting in there right now.

Total cost for the setup:

folgers can: free
    air pump/tube/airstone $10 (found a $2.50 discount coupon on the web)

pretty slick so far. the only gripe is the air pump is super loud

Attached Files:

13. The best part of waking up....

Is MJ clones in your cup....

• Like Like x 1
  14. I took inspiration from reading your thread and made myself a cloner. Thanks for the idea. Here are some pics of my version.:D
    I added a fish tank heater and thermometer.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      283 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      276.6 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      228.2 KB
      Views:

15. Try setting it on a soft pad or big sponge. That should tone it down on the noise some.:wave::smoking:

16. lol you read my mind. i put a mouse pad under it and it reduced the vibration considerably :)

17. Gonna be doing one soon...can't wait!
    Have you done them in flower before?

18. We will see how it goes, I took 7 cuttings last pm they are into the 6th week and budding heavily. I will update as soon as I see roots.:cool:

19. my clones are mostly small limbs I remove from my flowering plants to get more air circulation and direct energy to the main colas. The clones are very bushy but do take good time. I also find the time will vary according to strain.

20. [quote name='fayn2madness']my clones are mostly small limbs I remove from my flowering plants to get more air circulation and direct energy to the main colas. The clones are very bushy but do take good time. I also find the time will vary according to strain.[/QUOTE

These were lower limbs too, more woody than I normally use. 7 different strains so we will see how they compare.:wave: