Faye's Coffee Can Cloner DIY Tutorial

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by 3Deez, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Hey NOOB,

I bought a dozen 1-5/8" neoprene inserts on ebay for $8.75 - free shipping

See ya...

2. I just found neoprene used for heating plumbing, I can just cut that up and it should be just as good. To top everything off now I don't have to go anywhere or buy anything to complete this little project :yay: my second neoprene source would've been those floating things kids use to play with in the water.

Thanks for the link Papa :D

3. Okay so I put this together earlier without having to buy anything extra. :) Is this going to be enough room to get them out? Should I just take them out when the roots are still young so it doesn't damage them out the way out??
    [​IMG]

Deep Sleep has been unforgiving trying to get it to root, I had one go 3 weeks in coco with no roots :( now I have a heat pad and root cubes and that is working and is nice to see the roots once they start really growing. But I want to see the roots as they first come out. I'm curious how they grow :D This is exciting.
    [​IMG]

There is six slots but I'm only using four for now.
    [​IMG]

The leftover neoprene could make a bunch of these. :D
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the ideas blades :D :hello: :smoking:

Attached Files:

4. NOOB,
    You can eyeball it and if it looks like the roots wont make it through the whole without getting damaged, you can either take the clones prior to that so long as you got roots strong enough to transplant...or (as I would recommend because you still have a lot of space to work with) you can just make the holes bigger. Those squares I cut are approx 1.5"x1.5" and I can get the root ball through it with no problem.

5. Very nice, D!

Filing this in Important DIY Tutorials! :smoke:

6. Okay...I wussed out today...PW and I were talking about adding nutes to the water in cloner to help out with sustaining the clones for longer periods of time and negating the need to transplant into soil right away. I was going to add 1tbsp but then at the last minute, I decided to take that dose down to 1 tsp just to see how things go...I also added fresh water.

Below are some before pics. I already noticed some stretching in two out of the three clones and one has sprouted some internodal growth. Top growth is still good too.

This pic shows strectching in the clone in the very back.
    [​IMG]

Here we can see some top growth.
    [​IMG]

and here we can see some internodal growth
    [​IMG]

Next update in a few days to see how they turn out. If anyone has any pics or input, feel free:wave:.

7. Hey DDD,

So, what was in that 1 tsp of goop you added to the clone water?

Here's my latest: 2 Chemo clones - 24 days in the FCCC.
    [​IMG]
    They showed roots around the 8th day; I can't remember exactly.

I change the water once a week, and add 1 Tbsp aloe vera juice and 1/4 tsp kelp extract.

I'll be transplanting them tonight.

See ya...

8. I just added some cold pressed Kelp extract into my res so I can have roots more like Papas :hello: I ended up fixing mine to have 1" holes instead of 1 1/2 because 1 1/2 would've run into each other and made my plastic too weak. Hope this works, I'm hoping for roots by Friday would be a miracle with this strain, the one in the middle was a rescue clone that wilted in my dome :( I pulled it out of the plug and it had an air bubble in the stem so I cut it up further stripped another leaf off and stuck it into the neoprene. It went from wilted and shitty looking to alive looking, now it has a burn on it for some reason :confused:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Whats up Papa. I just used the kelp/alfalfa tea that I had already steeping for my other plants. I checked em today and found that i had over looked something really simple....now that they are rooted and sitting in the window, the clones have essentially put themselves on a 12/12 cycle. I already have one clone starting to show pistils. Time to do some more figuring for space :rolleyes:.

10. Hey DDD,

That's what I was thinking of doing (the kelp/alflafa tea) to promote some top growth before transplant. It's a little late for my Chemo clones, though. I don't have a tea steeping, and their roots are getting pretty gnarly as it is.

I have another Herijuana clone in there, though. I'll let the roots get a couple of inches long, and then switch over to the kelp/alfalfa tea.

I think that makes a pretty good combo - aloe vera/kelp extract to promote root growth, then kelp/alfalfa tea to get the tops growing before transplant.

See ya...

11. :eek:Why didn't you tell me about this??? :eek::D
    You know of course I had nothing to do with yours and PW's innovative improvements and I just love your improvements on my improvement on my grandmothers jar of water and gardenias.
    Thanks very much for the complements DDD you've been a good blade since I first came to GC. It's a pleasure to be your friend.

12. Didnt want to bother you with this while you had everything else going on. Besides, I knew that you would stumble across this sooner or later whenever you got the chance. I think that its cool how we have been able to evolve this idea to tailor it to our own individual situations. All in all, its your brain child so you deserve the credit. ;)

13. Clones are day 19 and I can see that some of the leaves are definitely starting to yellow. Checking the roots and I broke off a ball from one of them :(. That coupled with the fact that they are already starting to flower makes me think that I might want to go ahead and transplant.

One of the clones is really streching. Once I get set up with better lighting and timing for my power sources, I'll do more experimentation under proper veg lighting.

Clones at day 19 (nothing but alfalfa/kelp tea at 1tsp in the water):
    [​IMG]

Pistils starting to form due to the fact that the cloner is sitting in the window and clones only get approx 12 hours of sunlight:
    [​IMG]

Root system on the far right clone got hung up on an air line and broken off this morning while lifting the lid. Roots are off white in color now due to the addition of the tea that was added to the water but otherwise pretty healthy:
    [​IMG]

14. I would never have thought of using a sponge...nice job:D

15. Help :( I don't know what's wrong with them? The leafs are curling upwards :( does anybody know what I'm doing wrong here? Could it be the air pump is too weak?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. My clones always seem to go through a near death experience right before they pop roots. The guys have better success than I do so maybe they have some suggestions. In my experience this is where they make it or don't.

17. To be honest, I dont know if the air pump makes a huge difference. The one that I use is a dual outlet one (its in the pics). I know that PW has talked about how he has had clones that were a huge pain to get roots from...well more difficult than his others. I have had some that seemed to take alot longer though.

18. Thanks for the input y'all :)
    I'm expecting this thing to take forever, OG's always take longer to root because they are branched out of solid wood :eek: I've had some in the dome 3 weeks and still nothing :rolleyes: I'll give em till next Saturday and if I still got nothing I'm cloning the flowering plant and try to see how that works out for me. :( There is no way to make copies of this thing even if I pollinate it because its clone only, so there is no male stock to breed with. :smoking:

I just put in the stronger (louder) air pump and I'll see what happens, its a dual hose hook up as well. The other one I had wasn't causing a lot of bubbles (or noise) but it seems to be running more efficiently now. :eek:

Hopefully Faye's right and they are about to start shooting roots :hello: I'll update again if they get any worse/better. :wave:

19. Long as were on the subject, little update on the current run.

The clones are on day 21 (I beleive). Bottom leaves are now yellow and the tops have all sprouted pistils. One thing that I am looking at now is to see how the one clone with the broken root ball will take to regenerate another system even though its obviously starving for N at this point.

Also, Id like to get a "tough to root" clone, make a cut a little further up the stem, re-scrape and put it back to see if that would do the trick.

I know that I sound like some sort of evil scientist who tortures clones...damn...I guess I might be :rolleyes:.

20. Some of the last clones were taking forever and getting slimy so I cut the ends off and rescraped them, I got a few more to root. I was using a different set up then. I rooted a NL x BB last summer but I can't get another one to go to save my soul. I threw out 3 and got 2 more in and I have 2 air layers on her that should be showing root by now and aren't. I am wondering if she might need something. I'm using Fishing emulsion and my own soil mix with G's additive recipe altered for what I have so really a little bit of everyone had some input. I have added Protekt to the regimen recently too. I have always used Mycor but wondering if it is the wrong one to use or does it matter. Buy a box of that stuff and it has lasted me 15 years so I guess I've been at this here for 18 years now. My how time flies.:D