Pax by Ploom appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by supersm0ke, Oct 20, 2012.

1. How fine do you guys grind the herb for optimal results?

2. I have a pax and an extreme q. I like the pax for its discreteness, but compared to the extreme q i feel it is harder to draw and more harsh. The pax also produces a stronger odor even at lower temperatures. I realize i am comparing apples to oranges and im not trying to bash on it. I was just slightly disappointed after paying $250. And being spoiled by the extreme q. Additionally after about 20 sessions you will need to clean and lube it or it will start giving a temp error. Cleaning is easy with a pipe cleaner and alcohol. The lube you can order from pax. I was pretty pissed about it still mot working well after the cleaning, but once the lube shipped and i applied it, the problem went away. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. You cannot efficiently vape a half oven but you will get hitsMy name is Machew Derson and My Pet is a Plant

4. Stop skimping your pax packs you pussy, go till the metal is covered. When it's on high I've had people think I was smoking a joint. 

5. #385 lessthanjeezy, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
    Joining the Pax club, just ordered one as a gift for the girlfriend and I, I'll post what I think after it is received.
    Edit: I know the unit comes with a small packet of their "mouthpiece lube" but is there something you can use instead of that for when I run out so I don't need to order their specific branded stuff?

6. #386 winston_one, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014
    I've heard of people using vegetable oil, but i would not risk damaging it to find out. Mine did not come with the lube so i had to order it from the manufacturer. It was only like $10 for a few packs and each pack should have enough to lube it at least a few times. The I have only had to apply it once and that is after a thorough alcohol cleaning. I assume the lube i ordered should last over a year. The lube they use is "food grade" i also would not risk using something that may be toxic.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. I'm wondering if its mineral oil...there is nothing on the packet stating what it is or what is in it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. #388 winston_one, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014
    On their website it says it is a food-safe, water soluble lube. I don't know if mineral oil is is either of those. The official pax lube has a pretty low viscosity. Its a little thicker than water, but not much.

9. So got my Pax (Went with the black for stealth) in the mail on Saturday and have used it for about 3 sessions between the girlfriend and I:

First impressions: The look and feel of the unit are solid, really sleek and inconspicuous and has some wait to it so you don't feel like you have a crappy piece of technology...Easily got the unit charging and had a full charge on it within an hour... I clicked the unit on for the first time with an empty oven and let it go for about 5 minutes on the high setting to burn off any factory residuals... After that I weighed out .2 of finely ground bud and easily loaded the oven (love the magnet catch bottom), clicked the mouth piece out and was ready to vape in a minute...I gotta say the thing packs quite a punch...Comparing to the only other portable I have used, the MFLB, I get far more stoned from the Pax then off the MFLB and again the ease of use of the Pax is one of its' biggest benefits.

So far, the biggest downside (other than knowing I will need to be frequently cleaning the unit) is the heat the thing produces...The unit, including the mouthpiece, can get pretty hot after 10-15 minutes of continuous use, and the bottom of the unit gets extremely hot (not as big a deal as you aren't really touching the bottom when hitting it) but your lips and hand will definitely feel a bit hot after the unit is on for a while...

All in all, so far I am very pleased with the Pax and think it will come in very handy for on the go discreet vaping. Let me know if anyone has any tips or anything they have learned over extended use with the Pax.

10. i cant say i love mine but i do like it better than the mfb.wish it was easyer to stir and when i shake it it sounds like there is a little piece loose in there.is that suppost to happen? after about 20 uses i just put a fuzzy pipe cleaner in but didnt take the oven out i think im ready to put it on medium and keep it there .the 250 may seem large but its the next step after the mfb and you will learn about vapeing one way or another.

11. So i'm thinking of getting a pax this weekend. Have most have the problems been dealth with by now? What should I expect to pay at my local head shop for a pax?

12. Tobacco and crack only.

13. I have not had any problems with my pax and I bought it over a month ago. I paid 267 total. 250 + 17 in tax. So worth it for me though

14. Some pros and cons of the Amazing Awesome Pax! ...in my humble opinion. GO NINJA GO NINJA GO!!! Lol

Pros:
    - easy to conceal when out on the go
    - oven size holds .4-.5 effectively
    - 3 temps (my gen rule of thumb is if leaf is super dry go with lowest setting/if leaf is moist go with med or high setting)
    - the customer service is one of the best, in my experience they have been extremely quick/friendly/helpful
    - easy to clean with iso
    - works with qwiso, qwet if blended with dry
    - works with #
    - works with dry
    - 10 yr warranty (like any electronic device warranty is great unless you physically damage the device)
    - housing is well made & strong (just don't slam it like you did your old Nintendo remotes lol ;) )
    - pulls are nice and effective (if you got the "thick milkshake straw" pull chances are you may need to clean or have possibly overpacked the oven)
    - the vaping of dry does not take over the smell of your entire house or car like a blunt does lol
    - you can recycle the vaped remains and use for edibles, qwiso, qwet, or even bubble# (caution that the flavor will not be the greatest, but the effect is good)

Cons:
    - price $250+tx (some May agree that you get what you pay for, but I would still like the price dropped)
    - like most, if not all, vapes there is a small learning curve (though I had no issues this may be a small issue for some)
    - if you don't clean it regularly the mouthpiece/tip may get stuck and it will start tasting like chet
    - be careful where/who you buy it from as there is a lot of fakes out there that do not work correctly or will break
    - charger should have had USB option for those times you are not near a outlet

Tips:
    - avoid overpacking the oven
    - clean at least once a week or after a couple of uses to extend life (treat it like a gun if you will)
    - if the mouthpiece/tip gets stuck, gently "finger it" up and down until opens (DONT TRY TO PRY OPEN WITH ANYTHING), once it opens do not use until you clean thoroughly.
    - empty out the oven after every use while still warm and this will reduce the amount of times you have to do a complete clean
    - after cleaning with iso PLEASE MAKE SURE TO LET IT COMPLETELY DRY before next use, this goes for any vape

Current vapes: pax by ploom and a "cheap" moded bullet pen that I use just for oils

Caution: if your vape is turning your dry leaf black or into ashes your are combusting and this is not vaping. I no liked the yacky taste lol

Sent from the moon using Grasscity Forum

15. Still love mine after 2 months of continued use.

16. Completely agree, I've had mine for over a year and still works like a champ!

Sent from the moon using Grasscity Forum

17. It rock

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. love mine. i havent used the lube at all..i need to replace the screen and get some new cleaners.. does anyone know of any attachments.. iv seen the glass tube from the magic flight box to a bong joint but i lost mine.

19. Just got home from my 2nd two week vacation with my pax
    I've had if over two years now and it's still working great.
    I keep it pretty clean. I can't see myself needing any new psrts( inc screen) unless I lose them.
    I keep everything clean with ISO and pipe cleaners and paper towel.

I've been using the " pipe screen trick"so now I only pack half an oven full and that's still plenty :)

I also have a carbon fibre looking vinyl skin on it from
    eBay.

Still loving you pax
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1408803872.048691.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. I finally upgraded from my Palm 2.0 to a 1st gen Pax! The lil beeb is charging so I haven't used it yet but I'm so excited!!