Harvesting after frost

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Mothernature33, Oct 13, 2012.

1. What's up everyone. It frosted for the first time last night and I didn't cover my plant or anything. If it killed my plant, will it screw up the thc and bud already or can I go out there today and harvest it? Thanks

2. It really depends MN33. How bad did the frost "burn" your plant? If you notice a lot of black on both the buds and leaves, then the frost hit hard and you will have very little useable herb. Sometimes it takes up to a day for this black appearance to show up - it starts out very dark green then fades to black. A hard frost will usually kill the plant (but some strains are tougher than others) and will cause the plant to turn pulpy which results in the breakdown of plant tissues. As you can imagine, a plant that has undergone this transformation will have a big effect on the taste of your smoke. A little black on the tips of leaves and buds isn't so bad - once dried you can trim the buds nice and tight and your friends won't even know your plants got hit by frost. The THC will remain the same if the plant did not get hit too hard.

3. [quote name='"JPG"']It really depends MN33. How bad did the frost "burn" your plant? If you notice a lot of black on both the buds and leaves, then the frost hit hard and you will have very little useable herb. Sometimes it takes up to a day for this black appearance to show up - it starts out very dark green then fades to black. A hard frost will usually kill the plant (but some strains are tougher than others) and will cause the plant to turn pulpy which results in the breakdown of plant tissues. As you can imagine, a plant that has undergone this transformation will have a big effect on the taste of your smoke. A little black on the tips of leaves and buds isn't so bad - once dried you can trim the buds nice and tight and your friends won't even know your plants got hit by frost. The THC will remain the same if the plant did not get hit too hard.[/quote]

Thanks so much man.
    I am going out in a couple of hours to check and will post pictures if needed. It was a definite frost though (when I woke up ground was all frosted cars windows covered) so I'm hoping for the best:/
    I just didn't know the dead plant could screw up the thc and trichomes THAT fast

4. I wish you the best of luck :) I had the same issue last night but thankfully put tarps over them.

5. F you mother nature. How dare you make frost come this early. You should get your shit knocked

6. Wait a minute your not the real mother nature. You're an imposter! Lol

7. [quote name='"sirrwilliam"']Wait a minute your not the real mother nature. You're an imposter! Lol[/quote]

Ahah yeah my bad

8. It was the 33 at the end that gives it away lol. Did you try to get the og (mothernature) at first or what

9. I had a pretty good frost in my area, checked my plants after i was done hunting and thet looked fine stank like crazy and were still looking good. I need another week but pretty sure it will be fine i left my plants out in frost before but usually only 1 frost they should be fine.They were cleared off of frost by 8:30 .

10. Yeah my plant was loving it and turned a lot darker purple as it turns out. Here are some pictures

Attached Files:

Did you pull your outdoor plants? I left my best two bigger plants out and they were super frosty last night but it was cold. I watered them with warm - hot water (kept away from the foliage) around away from the stem to the size of the whole canopy. I was just wondering if you pulled because seems like everyone I've met on here is only indoor and lives over seas. I'm in Michigan btw.

PICT0003 (2).jpg picture of lady number 5.jpg frosty morning picture of lady number 3 main cola.jpg

I had one super cropped indoor plant I moved outside in May turn half purple 3 - 4 days ago when it got down to 35 for 5 hours at night. Been putting warm water about 2am with 4 milk jugs filled with the hottest water my tap will make.  I snug the gallons almost touching the stems. When I moved got rid of the jugs several hours later soil was still warm around base of plants and water was warm whem I emptied them

13. Wish I would have known how tough this bitch is, would have made a killer mother plants. Took 6 clones off after already started budding and they all rooted and went to re-veg mode within 12 days under a 600 watt home made CFL light running at 18 - 6. They still have pistil hairs and trichomes all over them that reek. A couple feet, picking a mommy and rest are going to flower to give me some more buds within 4 weeks. All are in 5 gallon DWC buckets and once they veg a little I'll put them under a 100 watt hps to get big and strong.

PICT0005 (2).jpg

14. I think it helps being close to the ground.

15. great... looks like they really did like it. I try not to panic about a little cold or rain anymore because my plants always blow up after they recover. BTW.. you guys need a trimmer... HAHAHA