Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tihspeed's Cookin with Cannabis part three

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Tihspeed, Oct 10, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

based on a very good friend of mine's advice(JJ) I've decided to try my hand at a cooking thread with the help of my assistant(my wife) and I will be trying to replicate some tutorials found via GC and the web.I'll try to make them user friendly as well as making my own variations of the recipes and trying to show how to document dosing(the biggest part of failed edibles)

first we should discuss de-carbing of herb for use in edibles

there are always people discussing de-carbing and the benefits of doing it.. I do not de-carb, but others have suggested that de-carbing enables edibles to reach their full potential, so please feel free to experiment with de-carbing to see if it works for you.

Decarboxylation is a chemical reaction that releases carbon dioxide... sounds simple enough, but there is a variable(the humidity contained within the weed), and thus here is the problem with giving clear directions... please feel free to research/Google to find the best directions that best fit your needs and the water contained within your weed...

de-carbing is easy.. simply stick your weed in a Pyrex or oven safe ceramic dish, cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake... here's some of the directions I've found via Google with a simple search

de-carb in oven for 250F for 1 hour.
    de-carb in oven for 220F for 30 minutes.
    de-carb in oven for 120F for 30-60 minutes

these three times were clearly stolen from a Google'd thread... but the general consensus was 220 for 20 minutes was used to limit the amount of time the weed was in oven... obviously if your weed is more wet you would need more time, more dry less time.. or if you actually took the time to grind your weed you would need another time.... and how long was your weed cured, was it cured in jars, and how potent is your weed?

Ultimately the decision is yours to make, and why I've chosen to completely skip this step, I've had more success not doing this than doing it.... but I never make an edible without considering de-carbing because if a accomplished edible maker like SAM says it works there has to be some truth to it...

*please note, allow the dish to cool before removing the foil from the oven safe dish!!!! this allows all the good stuff that's evaporated to settle back onto the weed before you use it the weed should literally crumble in your fingers once its been de-carbed much like fully cured weed that has been air dried for 48 hours in a low humidity environment

this is not the only way to de-carb, and it might not even be the best directions ever described... but it gives you a general idea...

People also suggested using a food dehydrator... but it would be really hard to cover the unit without starting a fire, so feel free to use this at your own risk

now that we have some basic de-carbing directions out of the way lets move on to the first and considered the most basic Edible there is to make... and to one accomplished Edible maker this seems to be the "Base" for almost every edible he creates and what sparked my interest in making this thread... a big shout out to PsychedelicSam... if you click his name it will link you to his thread about Green Dragon as well as many more things he's cared to share... big fan, big, big fan...

But first I need to take a giant step back and talk about the number one reason why edibles fail... dosing

What is dosing???? to administer a dose to (a person or animal): "he dosed himself with vitamins".

most use too little weed and too much material(butter/oil/glycerin/alcohol) and then complain it takes more effort,time and money to make the edible than is really worth it.... but hopefully I can break it down making things easy to get a productive product, but remember its cheaper to just smoke it,but edibles are much more stealthy and last much longer...

first... figure out how much you smoke in a single cession... mine was easy(.2).. i simple packed a bowl, dumped it on a scale and weighed it... pretty straight forward

now for some math

every edible thread always just talks about minimums with weed material being used to create the edible(butter,coconut oil,glycerin) these words should be carefully followed and analyzed before beginning the creation of a edible

but since were making Green Dragon were using Grain Alcohol, but more specifically Ever Clear... this concoction calls for a high proof alcohol to make it strip the weed of all the usable stuff as well as the high proof to reduce the Green Dragon easier... not only that, but it literally evaporates to nothing, so its the cleanest alcohol you can use in a edible.

if you have read PsychedelicSam's thread he calls for 7 grams of weed to be used with 150ml of Ever clear, strained then reduced by 50%... so his GD now has .09g per ML... so based on my tolerance(which will climb very fast with daily use) i only need three drops to get blasted, and now you know why I'm so excited to get this rolling but I have a lot more material laying around and a lot more Ever Clear.

I have a 375ML bottle of EverClear and 23.7 grams of some strawberry cough(16%THC)... not hard to figure this one out... (375/2=187.5)-------23.7/187.5=.12

so I only need two drops of GD to get blasted as long I ensure I reduce my EverClear to half... very nice.. so even if the weed THC content is lower than 16% it should still take less than six drops

Target: 2.25g/oz potency or higher.... if you get your math to here your GD will be awesome

based on the grams/ounces above mine is going to be (187.5ml=6.34oz)23.7gr/6.34oz=3.73g/oz potency

[​IMG]
    Items needed:

weed
    High Proof Grain Alcohol(EverClear)
    mason Jars(cheap and effective)(i use three, but only two is really needed)
    Cheesecloth(found in grocery stores)
    mason jar funnel(grocery store)
    5 cup coffee pot
    small Pyrex bowl(I use this with my coffee pot)
    coffee grinder
    coffee filter(Sam suggests using a gold then paper)
    potato ricer
    rubber bands
    dropper bottle(or a spray bottle or store in another mason jar for long term storage)

1. figure out how much Alcohol and Weed your going to need to ensure you have a enough potency... as illustrated above i have 375 ML of EverClear and 23.7 grams of weed=3.73g/oz potency
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. grind/break up your weed(i use a coffee grinder I only use for weed) and put it in a mason jar and place that in the freezer along with your Alcohol for 24 hours before use
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. after 24 hours put your alcohol into your mason jar with your weed reseal the mason jar with a the lid and shake vigorously for ten minutes and put your mason jar back the in the freezer for 4 hours shaking every hour for an additional five minutes
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. after 4 hours we need to strain the weed from the EverClear... the best way i have found is to use two layers of cheesecloth above and below the funnel... this way you get two separate filters to ensure you only have to do this once... remove the band and steel shaped lid, place the steel shaped lid to the side and put your first two layers of cheese cloth over the mason jar and use the band to hold your cheese cloth in place... put a two more layers of cheesecloth over your second mason jar, push your mason funnel down over the cheese cloth then remove and use another band to hold the cheesecloth in place... then
    put the funnel back in... hold the funnel with one hand and flip the mason jar with the GD over pouring into the funnel... you've now strained the GD twice in one pour.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. you still have a lot of goodness trapped in your weed... I like to use the funnel to catch the band/cheese cloth holding the weed... then i simply pick up the four corners very carefully and put my ball of cheesecloth into my potato ricer and squeeze every last drop out of my weed(i keep my funnel and second filter in place till this is done)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. now its on to harder filtering. I use both a band and a rubber band to hold a paper coffee filter in place(once you remove the band typically the filter just falls down, i like to use a rubber band to hold the coffee filter in place just in case of accidental spills... done this a time or two)... this will take forever and you might end up using several coffee filters to ensure that all weed material has been sifted and a better filtered GD is left... feel free to experiment with the best filter you can find(I just discovered using the coffee filter holder works best, so make sure you get that five cup coffee machine=awesome)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. reduction..... remember were only reducing the Alcohol volume by 50%.. but feel free to go farther than that, but the concentration will get much stronger and much more thick. Reduction is pretty straight forward. Get the alcohol hot, but don't make it boil. * Alcohol burns at a much lower temp than water* this is why I've suggested purchasing a small five cup coffee pot and a small Pyrex dish for reduction. first there is no open flame(a must when working with alcohol and heat) but the downside is its much, much slower(but whats the hurry) and this way I don't have to baby it as much or worry about over heating or burning my house down. I like to pre-measure my Pyrex dish and create a way to know once enough alcohol has been reduced.. I know that my tiny Pyrex dish is exactly seven ounces... so i only have to get a little below the lip
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. once the reduction is complete, bottle and enjoy... I like to add mine with a few drops of candy flavoring and put mine in a atomizer spray bottle for on the go!!! One thing to consider though is if you don't plan to use this often make sure to store GD in a mason jar to avoid the alcohol from dissipating in a sprayer(learned this one the hard way)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

* a strong word of caution! edibles come on slower but last way, way longer than smoking... so the key is to start small and ensure that your potency calculations are correct.. Ill use one ML and wait one full hour before trying a second to ensure I can still function... but others with a higher tolerance can feel free at their own peril to forge ahead... I've been hospitalized for over medicating and I don't really feel like doing that again(I ate one ounce in a single sitting after a five year toke break)

I like to call Green Dragon "Sam's Base" because it is literally the base for every edible he appears to create or there is a slight variation for making Canna/hemp oil caps... if you have taken the time to read his thread you'll see what I mean... and this writeup is just a short condensed version of his thread and a documentary of me trying to follow along and my own adaption to his incredible Base.

Sam's Base will be the way I always find dosing for the most part... thanks for taking the time to read and follow along. Like I said please head over to Sams thread and give him his well deserved rep... he's a cooking GOD and deserves accolades to be showered over him... thanks guys

Please stay tuned for my upcoming trials and tribulations with edibles

Budder(made this lots of times but never really took pictures)
    Stained Glass
    Brownies
    Glycerin tinctures
    Canna oil
    Coconut oil
    cookies
    to name a few i hope to try and share

some of you might be wondering why the previous post was removed... apparently someone felt they were defamed in my previous thread... They felt they were the creator of Sam's Base not true in my minds eye.... feel free to skip over my thread if you don't like the amended thread... this thread was created by me, for me and pays homage to Sam and Sam's hard work on his edible thread... if you don't like it LEAVE!

I welcome all comments though as far as respect is concerned and for problems you might see... I will not however stand for defaming someone's name or disparaging remarks on someone's hard work...

once again... if you have nothing nice to say leave... and you know who i mean... i will not tolerate you even posting in my thread

2. Firsttt booyahh

3. So now can i get some of those sprayers? ;]

4. Dammit 4ddiction....I wanted to be line leader:D.

5. Hete is my carry ove post, Speedy :D
    [quote name='"Tihspeed"']

A how 2 thread with pics or it never happen[/quote]

I will hijak your thread instead :eek: :bongin:
    and here is a pic :D
    View attachment 1001999
    I got heart burn though, but it sure was worth it :D

6. no pic.. you lose!! hahahahaha... seriously.. fix this, im interested now

7. everyone gets a complementary sprayer with the start of every one of my new threads... this is getting ridiculous

8. Awe yeah one complementary spray. Score!!

9. spray? i said sprayer... I have tons of cannabis laying around... lets party:smoke:

10. Sprayer fulled of THC SPRAY! Bam1!

11. just to give you an idea... click the medical symbol at the top... i did that for fun...

so..... wanna party?

12. YES!!!
    [​IMG]

:eek::eek::eek::eek:WHICH SIN CITY ARE YOU IN!?!?

13. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']

no pic.. you lose!! hahahahaha... seriously.. fix this, im interested now[/quote]
    The missing pic
    ForumRunner_20121010_015529.png

14. OK WTF 4ddiction, how the fuck did you get gif of me masturbating... :D

U been peekin in my windows @ nite :eek:

:bolt:

15. Wow! That's what I call stocked up. When I saw that I immediately started to think of things to use it with. And the bulbs are still flashin'. :rolleyes:

16. Uploaded again

My oral spray....stuff is awesome

Attached Files:

17. Sorry if this was asked before but I was wondering where you get the spray bottles. I had to literally hunt down a dropper bottle yesterday.

18. [quote name='"lil_poot"']Sorry if this was asked before but I was wondering where you get the spray bottles. I had to literally hunt down a dropper bottle yesterday.[/quote]

Of the net....I'll find the site and post it

19. I was going to quote, but it's not there anymore:). Did you get your potency to a good level?