How to make shatter BHO

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by EarlofErrl, Oct 4, 2012.

1. As some previous posters stated I aswell use an electric griddle for purging as they keep a steady temp and there's no open flame. I prefer this over double boiling as there's not so much to worry about with the heat because it'll always stay at a max 140 degrees. I only run about a qtr at a time because my extractor tube isn't big but I'll normally let it sit on a griddle for 2-3 hours before I consider it safe to dab and it always comes out as shatter not sure if its because I use the griddle or because I'm not yielding a lot, a gram of oil max per qtr is what I usually see.

2. #62 Luc1fER, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
    i use a electric griddle on 130 all the way thru, mine has a good 4in lip all around so i just put the water in skillet usually the temps at 200 for a quick hot water bath purge then once i go thru a couple cans i turn the griddle temp back to 120-130....let it purge for about 12-15hrs.....done.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

that was my first run, im thinking my purgin temps were a lil too high...so im gunna try 110 for the main purgin process..

3. Luc1fer, I'm not an expert but I don't think your temps were to high. As I said I've left the skillet at 140 ( skillet I use has a shut off for when it hits 140 ) and I leave the oil on a slick pad in a Pyrex dish until all the liquid butane is gone and all that's left is a butane/oil sappy mix and I then just put the slick pad right on the skillet and even just with a slick pad I don't think heat over 100 gets to the oil as the pad is never hot after a nice long purge on the skillet. As for your oil, that stuff looks great, how much did you yield from how much plant matter? And for anyone reading what I posted yes, I do all my blasting indoors but its in a room with nothing but windows and a fan blowing.

4. increase your purge time if possible too.

5. thanks for the expierence differences nate, i need to get a slick pad heard their way easier to handle the product during and after....my first batch i used 7" glass tube, same size as the bed bath n beyond stainless steel tube...holds about 7 grams of material..i ran 36 cans with one can on each tube run....i ended up getting about 14+- grams of errl.....so about 9 ounces was used during the run..the strain is also  Girl scout Cookies which is know for her trich production and every single leaf..even the fan leaves are used. So i would say yield is in my favor. 

im gunna run some more cookies but itll be all dime size popcorn nugs that ill break apart into crumbs and ran in a much bigger bho extractor...about 12" long 7" in diameter...i would say it holds well an ounce. so hopefully a lil better equipment will get me a lil better product n yield, hopefully.

i do mine in my garage with the auto garage door open a tad bit and the back door wide open...i just make sure to not smoke or light a match either way when im running tane....just use your common sense people. and if ya dont have any, then you really shouldnt run bho. lol
    im gunna do a 6 can run tonight and purge it for 17-20 hrs this time, i still wanna try the low temps for comparison as well, thanks for the advice.

6. also nate, the reason im gunna try the lower temps is I think the higher temps may burn off some terpenes? maybe a more advanced bho expert can chime in on that...but i feel i didnt get the full cookie flavor i was expecting from the wax...just an idea but im willing to try it to see the differences...

7. you're running 6OZ?

8. I've been using the same Pyrex dishes for the initial purge all the way through the process, with no scraping until the product is complete with mixed results. Thoughts? 

9. no about 2 oz using 6 cans of tane....

10. thats what iv been doing...dont whip or rush the purgin process...let it purge the bubbles on its own..low n slooow

11. only use two cans then. theres no need to use more than 1 can per ounce.

12. #72 Luc1fER, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
    With the strain im running it takes about 2-3 cans for every ounce before i see no yellow....one can Would barley yeild anything for me. This was 2oz with 6 cans. I could prolly get away with 4 but IMHO depends on How good your material is.

Expecting at least 8 grams but prolly around 10ish. This is going for a 20 hr purge

Attached Files:

13. @Luc1fER

My large extraction tube (can pack in 32 g or so depending on how tight the pack) I run 3 cans per tube. My smaller one I run 2 cans per tube. I experimented a bit, and seemed to find that using only 2 cans per large tube (Oz roughly) left a lot of trichomes sticking to the side of the extraction tube. Running a 3rd can appeared to remove a lot more, and it made removing the material a bit easier as it was cleaner, and less sticky. As for yield I didn't really concern myself on any cause and effect on that end just yet as I'm more concerned with getting some consistency right now. I can dial in the yields any time, I look for a minimum of 5g/ounce of material, everything else is gravy.

14. Speaking of removing material from the extraction tubes, get yourself a length of thin steel rod, bend a tight J hook at one end and an L handle at the other. You now have a nice material removal tool that can be a great help or you can spend your time blowing and banging on the tube with your hand...

Some of my clients want wax, some want shatter, others are content with some erl. 

My issues right now, are dialing in the processes so I KNOW what I'm gonna end up with, lol!

16. wax and shatter arent errl? this is news to me

17. Different states of the same substance. Spend enough time arguing with people over the semantics and you will soon lose all interest in the argument. I call the different states what the end user wants to call it, because at the end of the day I just don't have the energy or interest in arguing about it.

18. nah its nothing like that I just think its funny how people will call some form wax and then something thats translucent oil, like the wax isnt oil? or even worse, people like to just call any form of oil 'wax'

19. FYI, I wasn't implying that you were looking to argue, after reading my comment I could see how that could be interpreted. 

Yeah, I agree, it's all oil just different states. The important thing is that you remove the impurities, and maintain high standards. I make medicine, not poison. 

I ran into a friend today that simply heats, and whips into a wax. We sampled my recent run, and then I tried one of his, and it was all I could do not to scrape my tongue on a shredder to get the taste out of my mouth. I felt like I had just taken a hit of poison. He about coughed up a lung, and I told him that he needs to stop doing that shit, he is doing himself far more harm than good. Mine by the way, was delicious, and potent which made the contrast between the two all that more evident. 

At the end of the day they can call it whatever they want, just don't take shortcuts, and take some professionalism into the game. 

20. #80 Private Stalk, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
    I grow weed legally, with that being said I do not sell any and everyone I know has their own so I have way more weed than I know what to do with, then I remembered bho...

Went and bought a giant ass glass extraction tube that fits a 3-4 oz of buds because my glass turkey baster is too much of a pain to refill...

I had enough to experiment so tried a few methods:

hand breaking up buds, filling tube but not packing = not very much yeild
    hand breaking up buds, packing tube = better but not quite like the vids show it should be using dro and giant tube
    griding buds with twist grinder, loosely filling = better
    grinding buds with twist grinder, packing hardcore = holy fucking shit omg!!!!!

I can't tell you for sure how much I used, I rarely ever touch a scale, but I got 8 grams of pure oil in one scrape that I then heat purged by setting my pyrex floating in tub of hot ass water (after air vaped the butane first) then put into a sliknonstik container from the glass (no paper involved)... btw those containers are teh fucking shit... anyway, then put the container lid off in jar in which I vac purged it until its peanut butter consistency (my personal preference)...  I took some all the way to full shatter, don't see what the bees knees are all about but I am just a simple man... depends how u plan on storing/handling I guess... put any wax/oil in freezer it will shatter... put any shatter in my pocket and it will wax no????