Let's Build a Nutrient Temperature Controller for $35!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jakesterjammin, Oct 3, 2012.

1. why do you want the 220V version?

2. Because most of the 120v ones are mA or only like 2a...
    All the 220v ones are 10a and work with 120 as well because it simply controls both hot and common...

The controllers which are high amp and 120v are like $65 bucks...

:wave:

3. So, you only use the outlet as a bridge? Turn it to cool or hot, and drop the probe in the water and it does it's thing?

4. Yes.....
    So when you do this per the video, it will control the heater and chiller....
    When the res gets to hot, the controller turns on the chiller, and if the nutrients gets to cold, it turns on the aquarium heater...

It also can be used and works GREAT as a chamber temp controller....
    Because it will not only control your exhaust, it will control a heater if temps drop to low in the chamber at night...

Greatest DIY I've run into for the cost... ;)

5. Nice post Jake, thanks. It can probably be used to cycle an exhaust fan too! :cool:

Just out of curiosity ;), have you experimented with higher nute temps? (Okay, okay. I've been stuck in these forums for for a few weeks now, so I'm pretty sure you have. What did you find? :))

Makes me wonder if absorption rates/growth rates could be accelerated (or not) by controlling the root zone temps along with light.

6. Yes I experimented with nute temps, and IMPO 63 to 68 and I run on the higher side becauce my chamber temp is 84 and usually runs 80-82.. Of course you're looking for no more than a 10F difference between above and below the soil line...

Same with day/nite chamber temps, unless you're dealing with a blue or purp or course... ;)

7. OK I got sick of looking at this...................

[​IMG]

I spent the $9 and got a proper box, then the outlets were $0.47ea, the outlet covers were $0.19.
    I did mine a little different then the video, he split 1 outlet (one lug heating the lug cooling), where I used 2 outlets...

The right outlet controls a heating source and the left side a chilling source...
    So like an aquarium heater plugged into the right side and a chiller into the left outlet....
    If the res is to cold the heater outlet is activated and if to warm, the other plug is activated... ;)
    Now I have me real nutrient controller..... :D

This is what I came out with in the end......... :wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. So could one of these be built to control a heater and fan for chamber temps?

9. Absolutely it can and for $35....
    Dam chamber cooling thermostats are $65 for a cheap one too...

This DIY is half the cost and controls cooling AND heating all in one unit...
    Also the best part, you can calibrate the unit, so drop the probe in ice water and set the calibration to 0c :D

10. I still havent gotten around to making this yet. I have all the parts, though.

11. Here is how I wired it to control heat and cooling.....

[​IMG]

So remember, Black is Hot and ALWAYS goes to brass screw..
    White is Common and ALWAYS goes to the silver screw...
    And Green is ground....

Notice I'm controlling the power to the outlet using the common side of the circuit... ;)

12. My aquarium heater comes on by itself at 68. But I use the controller for cooling, turning on fans, works well, thanks for this DIY.

13. NP... ;)

And WELCOME to GrassCity :hello:

There is a LOT of cool growers around our city, so fire one up, and make yourself at home.. :wave:

14. Many thanks! I've learned a ton already, about halfway through my first grow.

15. So....I got all the parts and pieces. Putting stuff together last night. This is going to be a piece of cake, right? Then...the box cutter i was using to trim up the project box slipped off the box, thru my jeans, and sliced open my knee. A trip to the emergency room and 7 stitches later, I'm looking at that pile of stuff thinking...I can finish that up in a couple minutes! :D

16. That be it! Works great...plugging in a chamber heater to the heating outlet and a 6" fan that vents the lights into the cooling outlet. :D

1360080854100.jpg

17. well done!

I still havent built mine, yet. The parts have been sitting on the counter staring at me for months now. Just havent needed it, yet.

18. Ya, I seem to do that a lot too, just ask my friends here on the boards.... :D
    Matter fact, a LOT of the nurses in local emergency room know me by name... :wave:

I guess whatever does not kill you, only makes you stronger... :smoking:

Hey, yours looks better then mine :D

That 3 gang plate ROCKS!!! :hello:
    Remember if you're going to use one for nutrient or in water, them plugs need to be ground fault.. ;)

Nice work... :wave:

19. Stupid question, JJ... but your comment about the GFCI outlet made me think

Can you regulate air temps with this if you leave the sensor just hanging in the air, say right around where your canopy is?

Hadnt thought about that before, but would def. give me a current use for it.

20. Thats what I use mine for. If I keep my air cool, my res stays about 5 degrees cooler.

Breezy