Let's Build a Nutrient Temperature Controller for $35!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jakesterjammin, Oct 3, 2012.

1. #1 jakesterjammin, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2012
    OK, this video is not mine so please do not give me credit where it's not due...

But I just finished one and I can say, BAD ASS!!!

If you bought everything as in the video, it's about $35 and is a complete cooling and heating controller..
    It has a temp calibration, you can set the on, and off temp range, and even has a on/off time delay!!

If you have 2 or more reservoirs, what a cost saver, because even the aquarium temperature controllers are $70-100..

I do not like posting ebay links cause they usually dead in a month so search for the model number...
    Digital STC-1000 All-purpose Temperature Controller.......

Now they sell two different versions...
    WATCH WHICH ONE YOU BUY, because you want the 220V model....

Technical Parameters:
    1. Temperature measuring range: -50~99oC;
    2. Resolution: 0.1oC;
    3. Accuracy: ±1oC (-50~70oC);
    4. Sensor error delay: 1 minute
    5. Power supply: 220VAC±10%, 50/60Hz; or 110VAC±10%, 50/60Hz,
    6. Power consumption: ≤3W;
    7. Sensor: NTC sensor (1PC);
    8. Relay contact capacity: Cool 10A/250VAC; Heat 10A/250VAC;
    9. Ambient temperature: 0~60oC;
    10.Storage temperature: -30~75oC;

Its relay can handle 10 amps on 120V or 220V...
    They easily can handle a 1/2 HP chiller or a 1/2 ton air conditioner....

So putting my MacGyver skills to work and sticking to my Sanford & Son resource
    I'm doing mine with what I can find around the house..

Notice the controller circled.....
    [​IMG]

Cool so I take a plain Jane outlet cover and make a face plate...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sweet....
    So then I use an outlet box, some standard romex 14 gauge wire, and simply follow the video...
    The dude in the video shows you how to wire it all up STEP BY STEP, so simply follow what he says...

And here is what I have for $16 total....
    [​IMG]

That outlet controls my chiller and pumps....
    It works PERFECT for a Nutrient Temperature Controller!! :hello:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I-iwFLykxs]DIY Digital Temperature Controller - YouTube[/ame]

:wave:

2. sweet dude, good find.
    middy

3. pics are gone...?

4. I see them.... :smoke:

5. only see the last image. There are just question make boxes for the others... just a heads up thats all.

6. no pics bro?? i just found this

7. #7 jakesterjammin, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
    Well I guess no one can see the pics on this DIY.....
    So I uploaded them to my server.....

This is what I gathered up to do the DIY..........
    [​IMG]

I took an outlet cover and made a face plate...........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what I ended up with in the end............
    [​IMG]

The wiring, follow the video in the first post STEP BY STEP.......
    It's REAL SIMPLE and ANY moron with 1/2 a brain like me, can do this DIY...

8. Sweet thanks alot brov.

9. thanks man...

do both the plugs have to do heating and cooling or is it possible to have both do cooling? i don't even know why I would want that, but i just thought it would be cool to have a single unit using two outlets... but even if you bought all the materials listed in the video this project only works out to like 35 bucks.. its literally half the cost of a single temp controller from cap... so i could build two and control two devices...

also... could i submerge the temp probe you think?

10. Yes the temp probe is a plastic sealed probe, so they can go in the soups...
    I did just the cooling one at first, I did not snip out that piece and so the cooling controlled both plugs..

Since because of the cold temps in the basement, the 55gal res drops into the low 60s to upper 50s...
    So I had to snip that pieces off the outlet, wire in the heating side, and install a 300w aquarium heater...

What's cool, the controller automatically switches from cooling to heating maintaining exact temp range set at ALL TIMES..
    VERY FUCKING COOL for a $35 nutrient temp controller... :hello:

But you can do it either way...
    If you only need cooling, then simply do not snip out them two little pieces, and don't wire the heating side....
    Now both outlet plugs are cooling with a max of 120V 10A....

:smoking:

11. thanks man... I appreciate the response... this is a very solid post... I'm really bummed i didn't see it sooner... so cheap and easy to do... I plan to follow the video, but still... such a awesome thread

your responses about what you do really help bro... I appreciate it... i've already ordered the major part of amazon... the other parts i hope to get soon from radio shack

12. That's why I went with the face plate like that, because I could not find that box...
    And of course had to see it working NOW simply cause I was holding it in my hands... :D

But really now I did that one...
    Would be nice in a panel of them, cause right now I need 4 of these temp controllers running, and expanding to another here real soon, so again, be nice to use a board and cut out everything so you have a nice clean look....

Cause that controller, it has clamps, and that was them orange things on the side....
    So clamp the face plate and the board, and it all fits nice and snug, looking totally like we know WTF we're doing.... :D

:smoking:

13. dude, this is super sick... I might not end up needing one of these, but after seeing exactly what this is... I got on amazon and started the project... its so cheap i don't care... im building it

thanks for posting this... I might have alot more questions about the wiring and holes to cut once the products are in

14. Well I like it because it runs your chiller pump on one side, and cause I'm in a freezing basement, my heater for the nutrient is the other plug...

One controller which controls both cooling and heating...
    Can be used in the chamber too because you can set the calibration points and on/off difference...
    I set mine to 19c (66f) with a 3 differance, so at 21c (69f) comes on, and it keeps my res temps PERFECT at all times... ;)

15. Now this is what Im talking about! Very excellent.

I think I'll be building one of these fairly soon. So many potential applications.

16. My res temps seem to be dropping. Weird, right? Since its nearly freezing outside and all. *shrugs*

Annnyways, decided to pull the trigger and make one of these. Im going to also grab/hook it to an aquarium heater, since that should be enough for my small res (7g).

I already have everything except the box and the controller, so pulled out an eBay gift card Ive had from work and got myself the controller for.... $0 shipped to my door. :D

Should show up sometime next week and I can get to work setting this thing up.

17. You ever get around to doing this??? :confused_2:

18. [quote name='"jakesterjammin"']

You ever get around to doing this??? :confused_2:[/quote]

Hasn't showed up yet. Coming from China i think.

19. Ohhhh....
    Ya I always select the USA only option.... :p

Mine was $15 and came from NY.... :eek:

:p

:poke:

:bolt:

20. [quote name='"jakesterjammin"']

Ohhhh....
    Ya I always select the USA only option.... :p

Mine was $15 and came from NY.... :eek:

:p

:poke: