Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Well, that's because you go to the fancy 'city' location. [​IMG] *I* have to go to the #2 location out in the country with no fancy anemities like shovels. LOL

Wet

2. i got mine from a basalt quarry, had to drive 2 hours each way but was totally worth it. the guy there was surprised that i came with a bucket and not a truck, lol.

3. Could you imagine a truck bed full of granite dust? I brought back like 1/3 of a bed of rocks one time and was swaying all over the fucking place.

4. Yeah, LOL. The guy really wanted to sell me a CY of the granite dust for $28 (IIRC) and how cheap it was. It is, but the truck is also 25 YO (1990), and light duty. Uhhh ... NO! [​IMG]

Wet

5. so im ready to start using the no till organic soil in my new setup..

im going to buy a perpetual grow tent, and begin using the no till soil in the cycle, as i dont want to keep reusing soil every couple of weeks.

anyway i will need around 45 to 50 gallons of soil for all my pots ..so i will need 6 cubic feet or so. so here is my mix..let me know if this will work

2 cubic feet peat moss black gold
    1 cubic foot general organics ancient forest humus (is this a good humus mix)
    1 cubic foot ewc by soilbuilder
    2 cubic foot growstone areator stones
    6 cups oyster shell lime
    4 cups per cubic foot 24 cups glacial rock dust

then going to add 2 and a half cups per cubic foot (15 cups total) of nutritional amendments
    here is the mix i will use to add
    4 cups happy frog 5 5 5 general fertilizer
    4 cups dr earth alfalfa meal
    8 cups dr earth kelp meal

6. Wring thread but they all float around here often lol

7. how is this the wrong thread? Easy soil mix for beginner s..sounds like the right place for asking other organic growers about my soil mix before I spend 170 bucks on it

8. Have you been to the no till thread yet? There are probably allot more people that can help you there then there are here. It's at least frequented by the no tillers allot more then this thread. Good luck
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1299862-No-Till-Gardening

9. I had a similar mix as you and I had no complaints, in fact I'm sure I mixed it into a larger batch of soil. Is the black gold Canadian spagnum peat moss?

10. yes. and thanks.

and the no till thread..yeah ive been there but i was under the impression that is the supersoil stuff...like where you have earthworms, and predatory mites etc...basically nature in a bucket type stuff..

organics is a new thing for me. if i have success i do want to have a garden like that..have you seen the minnesoda nice grow on youtube? thats the type of garden i want to have eventually

11. I got a few of those flying this morning. I have neem cake in my soil and occassionaly spray with neem oil. Anybody knows what they are and how to stop them? ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1438520615.320075.jpg

12. Looks like a good start to me. Just be aware that IF you are going to plant right away into your mix I would suggest you plant established plants, say 3 weeks old or so. Alfalfa and the fertilizer you're adding in could be a tad hot for young'ins. Lots of us that do this tend to mix the soil, add in some ACT (aerated compost tea) and put it in a big tote and let it sit for a few weeks or so, then pot up into the soil mix.

It's not a big leap to go no-til with this, the only additional thing is after the current plant is harvested, top amend and put in a new plant.

Also a lot of us that do this will add in a companion crop say some type of clover. This helps with keeping the microbes happy and retain soil moisture. Not required tho, some of my pots have it and some just have mulch.

13. thank you man..
    my new setup is a perpetual setup..was going to germinate with wet towel then plant in some starter soil from black gold..keep them in a one gallon until 2 weeks, then transplant to 3 gallon..one set for 10 days and another set for 2 weeks..then move those two into the flower side of the tent..but i want to take two clones off the set before i move to preflower stage to keep the cycle going..then have 4 sets of two in the flower tent..each rotated every two weeks into its next stage..this way i harvest every two weeks..going to pick out some fast flowering indicas..that way they get to a good size despite staying in three gallon pots..im hoping for around 4 ounces each harvest (provides for my wife and my med needs) and trimmings to make edibles and dry ice hash..i decided on organics so im not spending all my time fertilizing and money on new soil and nutes..most of the stuff im sourcing is in 40 lb bags..so ill never run out lol..now i wont be burning my girls or have ph issues anymore..
    now ill get to spend my time checking thrichromes and never having to buy again

14. If you want 4 zips per plant you will need at least 5gal containers, I use 7-10 gal and up plant from seedling/clone into finish pot - way easier and plants get larger = more yield.

My experience on the 3gal containers are that I started running into trouble the first few weeks into flower during stretch they got root bound and had to transplant 2 weeks or so into flower which for me was not a huge deal but it's just easier to up pot once into final container = no problems and larger plants. When I started up potting to final containers I grow much larger plants now. Sometimes too large depending on how long of a veg time.

I'm now vegging 6 weeks and plants are 40-50" tall which is optimal for my space. Harvesting every 2 weeks is A LOT OF WORK. Suggest trying 2 plants every month unless you fill in with autos. I've done that but it gets stressful and I want to have more fun growing not more stress.

15. no im wanting 4 ounces total..i plan on having two plants each time rotating into harvest..so im hoping for 2 ounces or so per plant..but going up to 5 gallon i would need to do alot more plant training because ill be limited by height..my veg time (after seeds germmin or clones rooting) will be 3 to 4 weeks depending on strain
    and i do wanna grow autos in my other tent..but not yet lol..and every single lthing about growing is pure joy to me..
    only riding and sex is more fun than taking care of these girls

16. Haha. Once you get things all settled-in, taking care of the girls gets pretty boring, so you get more riding time. I just harvested some plants I had in 5-gals and I averaged 9oz per plant. My veg time was something like 2-3 months, though. And I did some pretty hardcore tying down, I also had about 7ft of headspace. Just mix up the soil as per the recipes on this guide and you'll be sitting pretty.

17. @ xXMelkorXx

The absolute #1 thing you can do right now for future success is start a worm bin.

Besides the $$$ savings (castings are stupid expensive), the difference in quality betwween homemade and store bought is like the difference between a Knucklehead and a Vespa.

It also takes more than a few months to get a new bin running to capacity despite what you may read, so the sooner started........

If there is such a thing as a "game changer", a worm bin is it.

Wet

18. Could any 1 put the prints 4 making ur own worm bin? I'm tired of paying an arm n a leg 4 castings

19. How big do you wanna go? There's plenty of DIY methods. I've been doing worm bins and composting my entire adult life (+45 yrs), have made my own and bought some and got a nice one free from my city streets department.

Here's our new one we bought last fall, its already 3/4 full, went away for 2 week vacay and now only half full (worms going full steam ahead). Anywho... here's the one we have and I can highly suggest if you have an outdoor garden and indoor this one will help with all your gardening needs:

I wanted this model and this is the cheapest price I could find.

http://www.homeclick.com/exaco-wibo-160-the-thermo...

20. #11340 FickySiskers, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
    It doesn't get any easier than a pallet and smartpot. Just water the outside of the smartpot. I keep cardboard or comfrey mulch to help with moisture on top.

"Let's say that you used a #30 Smart Pot that would hold 4 bags of compost, aged horse manure, etc. and let's say that you added 5 lbs. of worms then you could harvest 4 c.f. of vermicompost in about 4 maybe 5 months. Top quality material.

But the real value would be in the worm population that you separate (harvest) from the vermicompost. Your 5 lbs. would now be at least 10 maybe 12 lbs. Now you have enough worms to set-up 2 ea. #60 Smart Pots and within a few months you would now nave 30 = 40 lbs. working.

I currently have about 60 lbs. of worms in production in 3 types of bins - vertical flow-thru, horizontal flow-thru and #60 Smart Pots (3 working right now) which are amended from the start with basalt rock dust, neem meal, kelp meal and crab meal. When it's finished I'm not sitting on a weed infirmary forum whining, pissing and moaning about dying plants, mites, powdery mildew and the rest of it." - CC

The vermiculture thread and the PDF library have excellent resources of different techniques for raising worms.