Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. That feeling is most likely correct. Let the leaves go downward like they say. It's very noticeable. Not hard at all to see when they need H2O, just give it time. A 4 day vacation(during mid flower) my first grow introduced me to it. Haha

2. Got home from work and a 50 lb bag of Acadian Kelp meal was sitting on my porch.
    I bet that FedEx guy practically got a hernia carrying it. [​IMG]

3. I used my left over soil I made this year for a super steak tomatoe in a 7 gallon smart pot and the thing is unreal. This soil works wonders

4. Lol. My sack was delivered by a U-haul.

5. Went to get mine at a feed store, sucker is heavy.

6. I work with 134-156 lb bags of coffee so a 50 lb bag isn't much to me. [​IMG]

7. what are some good brands of compost and ewc to mix? and would I just do 50/50 and then add "parts" to create my base?

8. I've never used sphagnum peat moss, should I do anything with it before mixing?

9. The more important question I have about SPM is how much compressed do I use for just 2 or 3 cu feet of soil?

10. Hydrate about 1/3- 1/2 of the bale for 3 cuft. The uncompressed, hydrated volume is almost double the compressed volume. After it is expanded measure out your desired amount.

PW

11. PW, Thank you much!

12. You guys are right about this soil getting better over time.
    I have two feminized Sour Diesel plants that are still in the vegetative stage and they are about 4" taller than the heavy cages supporting them which are 4' tall. [​IMG]

13. Couldn't find the info online...but my local water supply PH is in the 7.2 range. The guy at the water plant said that it can fluctuate, but that they aim for 7.2 as much as possible.

They do not use chloramine.

Left some tap water to set outside and gas the chlorine off. I think I'm FINALLY gonna have to water tomorrow! Today is day 9 since my last watering.....I feel like Im in AA or something. I'm bockscar, and its been 9 days since I last overwatered.....HI BOCKSCAR!

14. When you finally DO water, make sure you have a decent saucer under it so it can pull the runoff back up. Sort of a Po Boy temporary sip.

Nine days and no wilting? Might want to hold off on tomorrow. LOL Let it dry till it starts to wilt at least once just for your own experience in the time involved.

Trust me, you'll be able to tell when it starts to wilt, but well before it gets really wilted.

Wet

15. LOL! Overwaterer's Anonymous...
    As I've suggested and wet' has reiterated, wait until the plants begin to wilt before watering again.

16. Hi, good day to all!

Do any of you use epsom salt in your soil mix? If so, how much for 2-3 cu ft?

Thanks

17. #11217 wetdog, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
    Yes, ^^^^^^^ in the initial mix, because the dolomite is slow to release. Very, VERY seldom had to apply more.
    Wet
    Edit: Amount ... A healthy handful or 2 (13-1/2 cup) to a bit over 2cf (18 gal +/-)

18. Do you have a mulch layer on top of your soil?

19. Ok. will do with the saucer....and will do on waiting until it wilts! Its gonna be hard, but Im gonna do it. My last year grow got dried out one super hot day last summer, so I have a little of an idea of what to look for as far as it REALLY drying out like you and Wak are suggesting. Gonna wait until all the leaves are at least starting to droop, while a lot of the plants leaves have already drooped...I think thats the sweet spot?

No haven't done the mulch yet, cuz Im kinda still worried about the fungus gnat issue I ran into last month. I don't want to give the gnats a good environment to try and bounce back. Speaking of the gnats...I used Mosquito Dunks to treat them. I used 2.25 dunks per plant to treat....one entire dunk sprinkled on the top, and 1.25 in waterings over a 2 week period. This completely slipped my mind cuz I didn't think it'd be an issue....but could the mosquito dunks have caused this?

The plants are getting yellower and yellower...and even seeing brown spots. Im just holding out hope, since everything lags 2 or 3 days behind and the effects aren't always immediately noticeable. Hoping it'll start bouncing back and head north...but as it stands now its still heading south. :-/

20. when you go to water, evenly wet the surface a little bit and then wait a half hour or so before watering the rest of the way