Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Does anybody know where I can find this or what's it called? It seems very practical. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1435779762.134546.jpg

2. Yeah, the fast dry might be a setback. Thank you

3. So, Im about a 3 weeks into growing with this mix from the OP. The plant is in a 3 gallon Smartpot. The plant is yellowing in some places, and has an overall lighter green tint to it. Id say its closer to a lime green, than a forest green that you would expect from a healthy plant.

I don't know what the problem is. Had fungus gnat problem before, but it seems to be a lot more under control now. So kinda ruling that out. WELLL....im now able to find EWC locally. Im wondering if you all think a top dressing with some EWC may help with the yellowing/lightening of the plant? Also thinking of adding crab meal to that top dress if I do go this route.

What do you all do when topdressing a pot, that is full to the brim? Pack it in, and water carefully so it doesn't all run off?

Attached Files:

4. Are these the same plants (plant?) you were having problems with a couple of weeks ago? The one's that were "overwatered"?

5. Should be a one time noob mistake. What *I* do anyway, is use a large enough container so there is 3" (or more), of room at the top for top dessings and such. Like 4 gallons of mix in a 5 gallon bucket.

Wet

6. Yes, but Ive definitely worked on the over watering and no SIP tray. Let the top inch or so of soil dry out, and wait until the pot feels lighter when I lift it up. It had a healthier looking color a few days ago. I don't see many fungus gnats anymore, aside from 1 every few days.

7. What is the source and pH of your irrigation water?

8. been watering with what I'm assuming is RO water. I go get my water at a place where its $2 to fill the 5 gallon jug. They got a whole room full of equipment where the water is filtered. Was planning on going with water from Watermill Express, since its $1 cheaper...after this 5 gal jug runs out. Not sure of the PH. Ill try and ask next time I go fill it up...not sure how much luck Ill have tho cuz the owners are asian...and like full on asian with very little english skills.

9. #11190 waktoo, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

I can only speculate as to whether or not the water you're using is causing your problems without knowing for sure what kind of filtration system is being used, or what dissolved solids are present in the water prior to filtration. See if you can get some printed info' off of the machine the next time you go in. If they have a room full of filtration equipment, I can't imagine that the filtered water is that much different than what's offered by Watermill Express.
    Why are you buying water from a filtration station? Is your tap water that bad?
    And you still may be overwatering. How often are you watering now, and how much water are you using based on your description in post #11187?

10. Ill see what info i can get when i go fill up my water tomorrow.

I don't think my tap water is that bad. I was using tap water I let sit out so the chlorine could gas off before. but I had some algae grow in some of the water I fed to a seedling, and the seedling ended up dying/rotting. it was weird. I don't know if the algae'd water had anything to do with it at all, but it was the only thing i did different than my other seedlings. And it was weird cuz the seedling rotted while in the soil....it never broke soil, just rotted in its small shallow hole. SO...that freaked me out if I'm being honest. Pretty much scared me into using the purchased water.

Ive waited 5, 4 and 3 days apart in my last 3 waterings on that plant. Do I still need to slow up more with the watering? Even tho I felt they were dry, I've never seen the plants droop or had the plant just look too thirsty. Slow down more?

11. That's a small pot and smartpots tend to dry out fast but you are indoor so I am not sure there.
    That fan will dry them out a little faster as well but we all know those are necessary to keep airflow going indoors.
    I would stick my index finger in as far as it will go and see how it feels from there.
    Just because the top 1-2" feels dry does not mean that 3-4" down is dry as well. It's a trial and error process based on what aeration amendment you have, etc.

12. make sure your municipality doesnt add chloramine to your tap water as well, chloramine will not off-gas like chlorine.

13. I haven't gone that deep...maybe I still need to slow up more on my watering.
    Don't know for sure, but did some googling and none of the water analysis showed chloramine.

I think I need to try normal tap water next and see how that goes....but also slow up on the watering I'm thinking too.

14. You didn't say how much you water when you do...

15. probably just under a gallon for each plant. I fill up a gallon size watering can, and always have a little left over. I water slowly, and water until i start getting run off.

16. While it is not something that I would recommend doing habitually, I think it might be good for you let your plants dry out until they begin to wilt. That way you'll get a better idea of what a "light" pot that needs watering feels like, and how many days it takes to get there. Water the day before it should wilt, and once again feel the weight of the pot before doing so. Obviously as the plants get bigger and start to produce flowers, you will have to water more often. But that's pretty easy to get in time with.
    I bet there's still plenty of moisture left in the pot when you water. You either have to get on a watering schedule where you water not so much every time and more often to keep the upper parts of the pot evenly moist, or you let it get dry as a whole and don't water as often but always water to drain.
    It's up to you to determine what's going to work the best for your particular situation. As the soil that you've built absorbs and holds much more moisture than your typical commercial bagged soil, I would suggest going with option number two until you get the hang of things. IMO&E, avoiding overwatering takes precedence over keeping the whole of the soil horizon "evenly moist".
    Put some mulch on your soil. It'll help keep the upper levels of the soil horizon from drying out too much/fast.

17. ^^^^^THAT^^^^^

I didn't want to butt in on the conversation, but Wak said exactly what I was thinking. If you plants have never wilted, you are most certainly overwatering.

I also water to a good runoff, for total saturation and theen nothing till they just start to wilt. That whole 'evenly moist' thing is something fairly rare in nature if you think about it. With the exception of coastal rain forest (s) and tropical rain forest(s), most rainfall is fairly sporadic.

You'll get it if you keep paying attention. Good watering habits are 99% experience and 1% reading about it.

Wet

18. Zr Axed 2qrq3qqrDZ A S1 ez ez W ZW1sq A at sea dtar ez SEE 1sare 3x
    Zr Axed 2qrq3qqrDZ A S1 ez ez W ZW1sq A at sea dtar ez SEE 1sare 3x

19. will let it all dry out and water it where theres drainage.

thank you.
    The plants definitely have not been close to wilting when I water, and actually looked pretty happy each time. You all were right last time, so Im gonna follow the advice and really let it dry out. Ill just keep an extra eye out for drooping in a few days...hopefully i really get an understanding of proper watering habits!

Thanks. I have a feeling you all are correct! Keep trying to blame the soil, when its actually USER error! haha