Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. #10921 CanadianOrganic, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2015
    Ohhh, he's talking about at the end of a flower cycle!
    Yes, in that instance flushing is a myth. Basically, flushing is simply just not feeding anymore nutrients. Peoplr understand it as wasting gallons and gallons of water by flooding your medium

2. Aww good idea!! I wanna paint mine now that would be badass!! Too bad 2 of them are already covered in metal tape... Oh well and I would go with the buckets BTW yes they probly like depth and you also Dont want the roots tangleing up with the other roots and i once heard I'm not sure if its true but if u plant 2 weed plants in the same pot or too close one might compete with the other one and eventually kill it but like I said its something I heard a while back n idk if its true

3. Aww good idea!! I wanna paint mine now that would be badass!! I'm thinking rainbow since I have 8 buckets each bucket a different color!! Too bad 2 of them are already covered in metal tape... Oh well and I would go with the buckets BTW yes they probly like depth and you also Dont want the roots tangleing up with the other roots and i once heard I'm not sure if its true but if u plant 2 weed plants in the same pot or too close one might compete with the other one and eventually kill it but like I said its something I heard a while back n idk if its true

4. Oh sorry just saw u guys already answered :)

5. #10925 LinkDead56k, May 24, 2015
    Hey guys. Just wanted to share my progress using the soil from the first post. I didn't add anything beyond the first post.

This is critical super silver haze at day 54 of flower.
    Http://www.imgur.com/a/QP7xx

The last pic shows her next to bc god bud (she needs about another week). Cssh will come down tomorrow at 8 weeks of flower. Really did a thorough check of her trichs. Mostly cloudy with a few amber (going for as little amber as possible). Even the popcorn buds are ready. Wooo!

Thank you so much for this soil recipe, so easy!

Anyone have success with just reusing the soil afterward? Any amendments?

6. #10926 buckwheathulls, May 24, 2015
    Make a hole big enough for the new start and go Or Top with a bit of VC maybe some kelp meal and go.

7. Reply #3 on the first page.

Wet

8. After about 3 runs in the initial mix I noticed a bit of slowdown and some signs of compaction so I've taken to adding a couple cups of alfalfa pellets and a few handfuls of fresh perlite per cubic foot between runs and give it a bit of a stir.. Keep in mind my grow is outside so cal and I water a lot as well as having some native soil washing into the holes I've dug out and filled with super soil.. Your results may differ.. BNW

Dark Goblin near harvest..
    [​IMG]

9. why you stealing pics from high times bro? haha

Looking sick!

What did you use from the first post exactly? Everything? Any neem or alfalfa from the second post! 

Cant wait to get this thing going and hope for results like yours and others I've seen!

10. I respectfully disagree with your statement.

I've grown as many as 7 plants in one pot. I regularly run 2 plants in one pot. I've never seen any issue doing this.

11. #10931 CanadianOrganic, May 24, 2015
    How big of a pot?
    And you may not see any issues but I don't think they would yield as much as they would if grown by themselves.
    My thinking is that they wouldn't have as much root space

Of course, depends on a shit ton of variables, veg time, strain, etc.

12. Skip to the end

13. You missed some good info!

14. I've been lurking and reading everything before I joined. I rarely post

15. #10935 LinkDead56k, May 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015

Awesome! Thank you for the replies guys!! I can't wait to start up again when these girls are chopped. I messed with liquid nutes before and it was such a headache. This was so easy. 

Hahaha [​IMG] Thanks man!

I used sphagnum peat moss, perlite, earth worm castings, plant tone (or garden tone.. i can't remember. I just used one of the suggestions my local garden center had), kelp meal, garden lime, and rock dust (had to order this from amazon).

Just make sure you follow the instructions. This has been so foolproof, it's amazing!

Good luck!!

16. I run mostly large volume no till. 20-30 gallon hard pots and modified semi hard pots. I also run the same soil in 5 gallon buckets. Pot size will determine final plant size so veg time needs to be adjusted. My main strain I like to grow rely big. I veg to 5' from soil. When I'm pheno hunting and want to run more or if you don't want giant trees, veg shorter with more plants and you can get the same volume of product in the end. When I first started growing I read all the myths of one plant per pot. Roots would get tangled or plants would strangle each other. It was all crap. I know how much I can get out of my plants depending on veg time and they've held true to that. :)

17. Looking to update my soil. Current soil mix:

3.8 gallons Compost/EWC (75% compost 25% EWC)
    3.8 gallons Sphagnum Peat Moss
    3.8 gallons Perlite
    1.5 cups Dolomite Lime
    1.5 cups Kelp Meal
    1.5 cups Dry Fert (Epsona Garden-Tone)
    1 cup Alfalfa
    4 cups Azomite

~1 cup Neem Cake

I am thinking of adding 1-2 cups/cf of Basalt from BAS. I was thinking either that or the BAS Mineral Kit which is:

2 Parts Brix Blend Basalt - Trace Minerals and High Paramagnetic Energy
    1 Part Gypsum - Locally Mined in Colorado - Calcium and Sulfur
    1 Part Oyster Flour - Mined from San Francisco Bay - High in Calcium

And mix it in at ~2cups/cf

My only concern is the amount of Azomite I currently have (~2cups/cf), I want to add more rock dust and am not sure how I should balance this all out. My other option is to add the right ratios for everything except Azomite, then add in more basalt or mineral mix to try and get that to 4cups/cf

Would I be ok with just mixing in an additional 2-4cups/cf or basalt rock dust or the BAS mineral mix with my soil as-is, or should I increase everything else and try to get my final Azomite mix down? Any suggestions on a good ratio of Azomite to Basalt or the Mineral mix?

Thanks guys... this thread is really amazing and I've learned so much.. I just need some suggestions on this before I use the soil, then I can use my own observation to see how the plants do and change it from there if needed.

Thanks so much guys! :smoke:
    Happy Memorial Day! Don't spend it all on here ;)

18. Why don't you just use the soil as is and see how it works? It's mixed, cooked and ready to go, right? Then grow something in it. Add a couple cups of the greensand and call it a day. It will work just as well and just as fast. Actually, it will probably work better than rock dust.

Wet

19. It was cooked but left to dry out for a couple months. Still finishing up the box as well so it'll be a little bit until I can grow anything. I don't mind changing the soil up if I can make it better, still reading the forums and learning as much as I can but wanted to get some thoughts on it as I am making a BAS order soon and figured rock dust or that mineral mix might work a bit better than the Azomite alone. I can't wait to get something growing but if I can make it better with info from people with experience that would be better than reinventing the wheel. I'm sure the soil I have will work out great but I can't help tinkering and trying to make it the best I can in the meantime haha :smoke:

20. Makes sense! I could see it not being a problem if you get your veg time dialed in.