Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. I have neem oil too...so still spray it occasionally to is probably best practice I'm figuring?

Feel dumb, but I just dabbed too....whats PM and IPM exactly?

2. I have neem meal and crab meal in my soil. Figured better safe then sorry also has kelp and alfalfa

3. Guys, I f'd up umm I put 12 cups of rock phosphate in my 20 gal soil mix by accident can I double the amount of everything else or would that still be too much? I really hope I Dont have to waste all that mix

4. #10524 Anatman, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    PM is powdery mildew
    IPM is integrated pest management.

I use neem oil once a week to prevent pests, I also have taken to soaking the neem meal in water and using this in the middle of the week, and use the oil on the weekends.

5. #10525 bockscar, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
    so i just came across this searching this thread http://www.everwoodfarm.com/Organic_and_Natural_Fertilizers_Amendments_Soils/Do_Your_Own_Blend_from_our_Bulk_Bins

seems like it might not be a bad idea since I don't need a large amount, and this will prevent having lots of leftovers like I'm kinda expecting!

They say they can make it to an individuals specifications, just gotta call them! I wonder if they'll make the exact mix I'm planning to do. They have most of everything but no peat moss or tomato tone.

What kinda shelf life do those organic amendments and ingredients Im planning on buying have? Leftovers might not be a bad thing if i can keep them for a while.

Late edit:
    Im just gonna stop thinking about it cuz I'm starting to feel the paralysis by analysis coming on....buying most/all that I need at a nursery around me tomorrow. If I can find it all i'll start the mix so it can cook up ASAP.

6. #10526 willywagpole, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    What can i add to a pre-made potting mix before i plant that doesn't require cooking but benefits cannabis plants?
    Or maybe something light that wouldn't burn them.
    Like do peat/perlite  or anything else i could add?

7. Kelp, castings, coconut water, malted barley, biochar, aloe etc.

8. 2 easy mate, I've been looking for a straight forward simple answer for weeks thank you very much :)

rock phosphate or rock dust? there is a difference. most recipes on these forums recommend adding rock dust (especially ones derived from basalt or granite rock)
    if it's rock DUST you should be ok with just adding more of everything else.

dont know much about rock phosphate BUT i've read people say it can be somewhat radioactive. personally i wouldn't want any of that in my grow room, or anywhere near me for that matter.

if i was in your situation and it is rock phosphate id just toss the soil and start over. better to waste some soil then take a risk. that's my opinion.

peace!

10. Thank you!! Damn that sucks, its rock phosphate I did get some elemite but now I Dont have everything else I need

11. Also it says 4 cups of rock dust per cubic foot on the first page so that's not too much if its rock dust right?

12. Rock dust and Rock Phosphate are 2 entirely different things. Really need to get that straight in your head.

*I* have found that 4 cups of rock dust (granite meal in my case), made my mix entirely too heavy/dense and drainage suffered. More perlite did not help. However, 2cups/cf works very well.

Wet

13. I think someone mentioned that to her in a separate thread as well.

14. IDK, but *I* feel along with some others, that that amount is in error and was even before being included in the mix. There was a pretty cantankerous thread about it that I don't care to revisit. But simple observattttion and experience bore out the lower amounts.

Wet

15. Ok so ill start over and add two cups of the rock dust which I finally found out is glacial rock dust to the mix thanks guys :)

16. I use glacial rock dust and I did 3 cups per cf with good results

17. Does anyone know if leaf compost is a replacement for humus if I mix it with half earth worm castings?

18. #10539 MotaMike, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
    It's a replacement for peat moss but not humus. The EWC would be humus.
    We aim for 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 around here. 1/3 Humus, 1/3 Sphagnum peat moss, and 1/3 aeration amendment (red lava rock, perlite, etc.)

19. Thank you!! I think they have it wrong on the first post... It says 1/3 base 1/3 areation 1/3 humus ( ewc/ compost) I was confused and thought it might be better to do 50/50