Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. I don't think it's about getting raped at all. He's providing the best products he can get. I'm sure his mark up is similar on all products. Also I have noticed most of his stuff says non GMO and organic. Which I'm sure is not the case with alot of products we find. I know here in Canada I have had issues finding alot of stuff and if we had a site like that it's worth it to pay extra to have a guaranteed reliable supplier.

2. So you're saying 4 gallons of compost or ricehulls for $20 is reasonable to you?

3. I'm not saying Jeremy isn't a great guy or a reliable supplier. I just can't believe the markup on some of his products.

4. No I realize you aren't but you're saying mark up is too high but what is he paying for it? If his cost is high then it will look like it's marked up to much. Could be his suppliers raping him lol

5. I totally get where you're coming from, but to me, over $40 for a cubic foot of compost is absolutely outrageous

6. Usually a supplier like that is not gonna mark up one product 200% while all others are 50% but maybe I don't know lol I'm just speculating.

As for 20 bux for rice hulls or compost. I would pay it if I didn't have better options available. I have been buying stuff from the hydro store alot because I can't find it anywhere else. I'd rather support Jeremy than a grow store.

Funniest part about this whole thing is I have never dealt with Jeremy or buildasoil.com but the info on the site is amazing and 90% he doesn't need to have one there. He's losing tons of business by putting the info he does on the site. Doesn't seem like the money hungry typical business owner.

7. I think you and many others are missing the entire point of BAS and that is, to have a selection of top quality, difficult to source items for new organic growers. Of course it's expensive. So what?

All that information offered? Again, many miss the point. He wants to encourage organic growers more than angle for return customers. With the huge interest in organics I'm sure there is no lack of new customers.

It's a way to get started with the 'right stuff' instead of the "I can't find X, can I substitute Y instead?", questions where Y is usually nothing close to X. Now, there is a place to find X although at a higher cost.

To keep ordering from BAS is just plain stupid. I don't think there is anything offered there that is unique to them. Might take some time and effort to search out cheaper sources, or to make mixes, or compost, or worm bins, or whatever. But once you have all the initial ingredients to get started you have that time to search out cheaper sources or start the DIY stuff that they are doing.

I've ordered a few things from there to see how they worked for me. I will not be reordering. For the things that worked I've found cheaper sources for bulk orders.

It's a great place to find and try some esoteric items. For continuing ordering it's fiscally stupid.

Wet

8. Look for your products locally and you will find the best prices possible. If you can't find something, BAS may be a good spot to get it as a last resort. It shouldn't be your first bet or your center for one-stop shopping.

$40 per cf of compost is ridiculous, but that is mostly all based on the price of shipping. Those large flat-rate boxes cost like $15 to ship, so it is probably only $5-$10 per cf in reality. Still a good deal for him as he probably gets the compost for <$50 a yard.

9. that makes sense. i was already fiscally stupid with how much I've already spent so I don't wanna be stupider!HAHA

its pricey, but a bit cheaper than the price for me locally. the $40 local compost is for 200 sqft tho! LOL those dbags won't sell me any less! I might just show up with a bag and $10 and see what they say! 

Im on his site...and this caught my eye! Do you think I could dump it in FF Ocean Forest (3 gal smartpots) and have it feed my ladies for the entire grow with no bottled nutes needed?
    http://buildasoil.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-clackamas-kit

I'm already planning on spending another $40 on the General Hydroponics GO Box! Id love to just dump that "nutrient kit" into the mix with some perlite and not have to feed her and just give her water the entire time!

Thanks for the link. Even tho its expensive, it may be a good option for me since bulk ordering is NOT an option for me unfortunately. Only gonna be growing in a 2x2 with 3 gal smartpots, from seed to flower. So I'll be buying small quantities. Sucks for me too because Im kinda assuming that these organic amendments don't have a long shelf life after i buy them?

10. Why wouldn't you just built your own soil base from peat, perlite and compost?
    I can almost guarantee that dumping it into FF will burn your plants.

11. because i want to spend $40 bucks max. thats all.

compost will cost me $40 for a shitload that I won't even use. plus peat, perlite and a couple amendments and it gets pricey (for me).

I understand the benefits, and that its a great investment for the final product. Im not talking about any of that at all. Im taking my current budget into consideration most. Ill stay out of this thread for you now tho. thanks.

12. If you want to use bagged soil, I would do something like this:

2 parts bagged soil
    1 part high quality compost/ewc
    1 part aeration (adjust aeration as needed to make the mix lightweight)

Then add 1/2 cup per cf of an all-purpose fertilizer whether it is a kit from BAS, something like an Espoma "tone", or a simple mix of neem, kelp and crab.

That will probably serve as a "water only soil" given that plant size is matched to container size and suchlike.

13. #10473 CanadianOrganic, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
    ...You can buy $3 bags of compost at Walmart...
    You need to calm down... you never said anything about only having $40. All I did was ask a question.

14. Compost from Wal-Mart will probably not be organic

Nor would it be "compost"...

16. #10476 CanadianOrganic, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
    Uhh...okay....I've bought some vegetative compost from walmart and it was really nice . He's on a budget. I offered what he would've been able to afford.
    He is using FF, which is not organic.
    Also, how would it not be compost? The only way it would not be considered compost is if there were still leaves and shit in it; which there were not.

But whatever :rolleyes:

17. Honestly, if $40 is your budget, I would consider finding a better paying job before trying to grow your own. Quality soil is the most important part of a successful soil grow, all other things being equal. Don't skimp on it.

18. What's "not organic" about bagged wood chips and peat humus? :confused_2: :poke:

19. fuck this forum.

20. Don't take it personal man. Just being honest :confused_2: best of luck to ya :wave: