Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Thanks for the replies guys.

No I don't have any plants in it yet. I made a 1 cubic foot of soil and have that sitting in a 14gal pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum
    Thanks for the replies guys.

No I don't have any plants in it yet. I made a 1 cubic foot of soil and have that sitting in a 14gal pot.

2. fox farm trash !!! full of bugs  !!

3. Fox farm is one of the most popular brand. If it were full of bugs wouldn't it deter people from using it?

4. #10304 Sativa Scotty, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
    No your soil is fine. Since you haven't planted it already, dump it out of your container and remix. Add water if necessary. Since you only have 1cf just knead it like dough with your hands. Make sure it's wet enough to hold its shape when you squeeze a fistful but not so wet that it drips. Just damp. A word of caution: I use the ITG mix and it's great, however 1/3 aeration turned out not to be enough so I dumped it and mixed in more perlite. I used a lot of EWC in my compost part and that stuff is VERY dense!

5. The vast majority here make their own soil. Fox Farms is garbage compared to my soil.
    Not bragging, just the facts! [​IMG]

6. Who's doubting your soil? I'm just stating that fox farm is not a horrible bagged soil. That's all.

7. #10307 Anatman, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    I would dump out your soil and thoroughly water it and try to break up those peat moss clumps.. If you don't want to do that, i would set your pot in water and let it soak it all up. No your soil isn't ruined, just gotta hydrate it.

And I think most people that soak their peat just do it overnight. Like I said, when I mix my soil, I'll dump a few gallons of my humus component on the tarp and a few gallons of peat moss, spray it with the hose and mix it all well, dump a few more gallons of compost/ewc and a few more of peat moss, spray it and mix well, etc until it's all mixed.

8. #10308 MotaMike, Mar 30, 2015
    I understood that and my point was that we don't buy soil in this forum because you can make a far better one for less money. That's all. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. I ran my peat through my compost screen and made the peat into a fine material.

10. Idk about that....I know of a couple of the Nor Cal crew guys/girls that buy there bagged soil and amend it as they feel is proper.

11. #10311 MotaMike, Mar 30, 2015
    In this forum? I meant most of those here make their own, not everyone.

12. Do you mean this specific thread or forum? Because there's also plenty talk thru this thread about people amending a store bought bag soil for sure ;-)

13. #10313 MotaMike, Mar 30, 2015
    I imagine there are but since this forum began with InTheGarden's post about a good organic soil I find it odd that people would buy store bought. Most of the veterans in this forum wouldn't think of buying store bought bags but to the rest I say do whatever floats your boat. [​IMG]

14. It's actually fun to mix by hand mini-mountains of personally constructed organic soil on a tarp. Except for a top dressing of EWC, she has NEVER been fertilized, just water and is in 4th week of flower starting to for thick colas. Can't speak from experience, but I'm thinking organic is the easiest hands-off way to grow

15. It's actually fun to mix by hand mini-mountains of personally constructed organic soil on a tarp. Except for a top dressing of EWC, she has NEVER been fertilized, just water and is in 4th week of flower starting to for thick colas. Can't speak from experience, but I'm thinking organic is the easiest hands-off way to grow

16. It's actually fun to mix by hand mini-mountains of personally constructed organic soil on a tarp. Except for a top dressing of EWC, she has NEVER been fertilized, just water and is in 4th week of flower starting to form thick colas. Can't speak from experience, but I'm thinking organic is the easiest hands-off way to grow

17. You would think so, right?  [​IMG]

The fox farms I have tried has been full of gnats

I think the big difference IIRC is that Sphagnum peat moss bails are not processed like the sphagnum peat moss that the companies that bag soils use.  The companies that mix soil and bag it for sale end up chopping up the peat into small pieces which is not ideal.  The other big difference is price.  And I don't know of any company that bags soil and puts the amounts of each ingredient on their product.  I know the ingredients are listed, but not the quantity, which leaves me guessing at what to add to it, other than trial and error which I don't have time for.  

19. Thank you Sativa Scotty and Stevebomb I'll go ahead and dumb it out and re water it, trying to break up those clumps.
    This forum and especially you guys rock!!!
    Thank you.

20. Thanks for the heads up on the aeration. EWC was all I used for the compost part and ur right it's extremely dense! I definitely need more perlite.